PDA

View Full Version : Trailing arm bushes

Lawrence
5th November 2013, 05:56 AM
Hi fellows, i changed my trailing arm bushes on saturday. The difference in ride quality and handling is amazing, not to mention the noise. The vehicle is now taking the bumps and potholes of the road home in comfort and much less noise. Also gone is the swaying, when driving at a good speed as well as the slight sideways movement from the back when accelerating, Also the ride height from the back has increased by about a 1/2 inch. Next job is the shocks which have been on the vehicle maybe from it was built. They are not doing a bad job, but i know there should be massive improvements in ride with some gas shocks (probably Munro until i can get a suspension change),

NP99
5th November 2013, 10:38 AM
What type of bush did you use mate?

MudRunnerTD
5th November 2013, 10:43 AM
Awesome mate, i need to replace the ones on teh GUIV too.

FYI in relation to the ride height change. Did you tighten the bolts up when it was still jacked up? If you did then you might have got increased ride height but now the bush is twisted and flexed. I would be undoing the bolts while it is sitting in the drive way and retighten them all while the car is sitting in its level ride position.

If you dont do it as above you will find you will flog out the bushes much sooner than necessary.

Cheers MR

NP99
5th November 2013, 10:47 AM
Awesome mate, i need to replace the ones on teh GUIV too.

FYI in relation to the ride height change. Did you tighten the bolts up when it was still jacked up? If you did then you might have got increased ride height but now the bush is twisted and flexed. I would be undoing the bolts while it is sitting in the drive way and retighten them all while the car is sitting in its level ride position.

If you dont do it as above you will find you will flog out the bushes much sooner than necessary.

Cheers MR

Do you tighten them just enough while up and then to spec when down?

MudRunnerTD
5th November 2013, 10:50 AM

No you really only need to get the bolts in while it is up. In fact if you can get to the bolts you dont even need to jack the car up. do it sitting on the ground. If its on a Hoist though then put it on the ground before tightening anything up.

Lawrence
6th November 2013, 03:32 AM

Yes, they were tightened on the jack. I will check on this.

Lawrence
6th November 2013, 03:33 AM
What type of bush did you use mate?

Genuine Nissan bushes.

MudRunnerTD
6th November 2013, 09:49 AM
Yes, they were tightened on the jack. I will check on this.

No probs just crawl under the car and loosen everything then re tighten it up in the neutral position for long life mate.