PDA

View Full Version : Buying a secondhand gearbox

growler2058
4th November 2013, 08:30 PM
OK gurus. If I were to buy a secondhand gearbox (manual) for my Aggie, what do I look for. For instance what, if it's not in the vehicle can I do to check it's not FUBAR. Mines ohkaaay at the moment but occasionally down shifting to 3rd it gives a god awful crunch grind. Now I used to drive trucks so double down fixes that but not ideal. Any knowledge please share with your friendly local mod ;)

mudski
4th November 2013, 11:32 PM
Buy one that needs a rebuild. Build it up and swap them over. I recently paid $90 for a foobar blown 5th box for mine. Good time to see the innards of a gearbox too.

BigRAWesty
5th November 2013, 02:08 AM
Or rebuild yours and save $100. Can you afford to have it down for a bit??

my third 256
5th November 2013, 07:08 AM
could be a good meet up project to rebuild a gear gox and meet a few members
mates nephew has wrecking buisiness at little hampton
and get things at the right price

threedogs
5th November 2013, 09:00 AM
that sounds like a plan, was looking recently for Mudski and
a vendor sponsor sells the re co kits at a very good price

NP99
5th November 2013, 10:45 AM
So many cogs and bearings.......:) the meet up idea is a good plan!

mudski
5th November 2013, 05:53 PM
So many cogs and bearings.......:) the meet up idea is a good plan!

Sooo, your coming down to my place mate to build this box of mine? :D

NP99
5th November 2013, 05:57 PM
Have hammer, will travel :)

I just have hammer knowledge, sorry, :)

threedogs
5th November 2013, 06:31 PM
Will the later GU box fit????
only weak on 5th gear

BigRAWesty
5th November 2013, 06:55 PM
Well if it's on I won't miss this one.
I'm sure I can wrangle my bro into helping. He is an actual mechanic lol.

growler2058
5th November 2013, 07:50 PM
Ill let ya all know. Wont be real soon. Gotta get an allowance from the minister of war and finance. 2/3rds effk all chance of that happening this side of chrissie. Im going to change the oil and see how I go. These boxes are clearly tuff as guts, mines done well in excess of 500,000 so was hoping to pick up a low mileage say 300,000ks and just swap it out.

Bloodyaussie
5th November 2013, 07:54 PM
Mine has done over 400,000km and I will be swapping it out for one thats done 200,000km..

Mudski cannot afford down time that is why he has got a box that needs work for cheap so he can get it all sorted right then do a changeover one weekend..... got a feeling I will be around his place for that one....aarrgghh!!!!!!!!!!!!

mudski
6th November 2013, 01:52 PM
I think this time BA when this box is built I will pay George to do it in his workshop. Never again will I pull this box out on the floor like we did. Was fun, we had some laughs doing it but next time on a hoist.

threedogs
6th November 2013, 03:48 PM
Need all the right gear these boxes are ex truck and weigh in around 500kg I think.
built Nissan tough oh yeah

Winnie
6th November 2013, 04:03 PM
Need all the right gear these boxes are ex truck and weigh in around 500kg I think.
built Nissan tough oh yeah

Bahahahahahahaaaaaaa!!!!!!!

TPC
6th November 2013, 04:49 PM
could be a good meet up project to rebuild a gear gox and meet a few members
mates nephew has wrecking buisiness at little hampton
and get things at the right price

Well if it's on I won't miss this one.
I'm sure I can wrangle my bro into helping. He is an actual mechanic lol.

Ill let ya all know. Wont be real soon. Gotta get an allowance from the minister of war and finance. 2/3rds effk all chance of that happening this side of chrissie. Im going to change the oil and see how I go. These boxes are clearly tuff as guts, mines done well in excess of 500,000 so was hoping to pick up a low mileage say 300,000ks and just swap it out.

We have to come up with some excuse for a meet up, the last attempt at a SA trip failed.

threedogs
6th November 2013, 04:53 PM
@ Growler going to a couple of shops tomorrow will ask if any
broken boxes they want to get rid of, you never know can only ask,
will any GQ box fit,from 88 to what 97 ?
tojo had 2 one straight and a slant job

mudnut
6th November 2013, 05:04 PM
We have to come up with some excuse for a meet up, the last attempt at a SA trip failed.

I have a stuffed gearbox and transfer case for an rb30, sitting in my shed. Maybe waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay, waaaaaaaaaay in the future when funds are available, we could do same thing as suggested earlier. I have partially rebuilt engines, but I have never split a gearbox open. It would be of great interest watch someone in the know, rebuild one.