PDA

View Full Version : engine oil

bomber
19th January 2011, 05:23 AM
gday guys,
i am new here and new to turbo diesals.
i have recently bought a 99 GU patrol with an RD28 TD with 138,000 on the clock.
I have recently done an oil change and used shell HX5 15w40 engine oil, and now it is rattling its head off.
Nissan recommended using 15w40, i know there are different oils for different climates, i live in Sydney.
Can somebody please tell me what a good engine oil would be that wont break the bank?
Also where a good area might be be around sydney where i can take the family camping with some mild 4x4 track to get in there without needing to go in a group?
your help will be greatly appreciated.......

Bigrig
19th January 2011, 08:03 AM
Hey mate - other on here can help you with the Sydney tracks etc, but the oil you used shouldn't be causing that problem - my old man uses Shell in his and has done for as long as I can remember. This is going to sound like a really stupid question so forgive me, but how much did you put in?? i.e. pretty close to manufacturers spec?? if too low (and too high I believe), that could be causing it to rattle etc.

Tony?? oh, Tony??? you out there mate - could it be the oil / oil level?? or sounds like something else??

bomber
19th January 2011, 01:25 PM
gday mate and thatnxs for the reply.
from memory it was right on spec and the dipstick shows right on the line, i dont know what oil the previous owner had prior to the caryard.
the "sounds like something else" is the not like part, it has the normal rattle but now it is still there during acceleration only not as loud.
And it only started after the oil change

Ben-e-boy
19th January 2011, 06:10 PM
You describe it as a rattle. try to figure out where it is coming from for the purpose of this answer im going to assume top end because if there is somethong wrong with the bottom it a knock not a rattle. Common cause of a rattle in the top end it the hydraulic lifters. (on the 2.8) if there is a bit of sludge it will cause your lifters to rattle. now it may seem unbelieveable seeing that it has incredibaly low kms. but patrol service intervals are on a time basis (3 months) or km basis (5000km).
If you have trouble locating the noise get a large screw driver where the shaft goes all the way through the hande place the tip on the motor and your ear to the handle, use it like a stethoscope this will help locate the rattle. It works my old man taugh me that and he is an expert in vibration analysis

YNOT
19th January 2011, 08:00 PM
15w40 should be fine for your climate. Personally I use Caltex Delo 400 15w40 multigrade (don't buy it from a servo, you can get it nearly half the price from places like Independent Fuel Supplies). I paid around $80 for 20 litres.
GU's don't have an oil pressure gauge so you might want to get the oil pressure checked. It's possible the previous owner had put thicker oil in to quieten it down.

Tony

mackayboi
20th January 2011, 09:00 AM
Hi,
I just done a simple oil change and now I have really stuffed things up.
I was reading online that over filling the oil actually damages the engine.

As I don't have a GQ Patrol manual readily available, could someone please tell me how much engine oil is needed? (6 cylinder, 4.2 Litre Diesel) from a GQ 1990 Patrol.

I really cant believe how a simple oil change, after all the other things I modified on my vehicle, is the one to get it undone.

I put in 9 litres of oil yesterday. and today I went to drain the engine oil, and nothing comes out! I mean it was not leaking oil from the 20km I driven. and it wasn't burning it up because there was no black smoke from exhaust.
I needed to drain engine oil out due to a whining sound that came from the 1,2,3 and 5th gear when driving. Furthermore, at about 1100 RPM the engine shakes just noticeably.
I feared that the problem was over dosed in the oil, but now there is none to be coming out of the bottom bung.

Thanks for any help...

YNOT
20th January 2011, 11:15 AM
1 or 2 litres over full in one of these engines won't do any damage short term. To do damage you would need to fill it right up, don't laugh I have heard of people filling engines to the top of the rocker cover!

If you put 9 litres of oil in the right place and now it's all gone, you have a SERIOUS problem.

Tony

Simon
20th January 2011, 12:49 PM
take a photo of the sump plug that you are removing and post it here to be sure your accessing the right plug?

Also is there any oil on the dip stick even though taking the plug out none comes out?

Its not really possible that you would have lost all that oil and have the motor still run... Unless its leaking on the ground where you park your car its still got to be there after a day or two of driving!

mackayboi
25th January 2011, 12:16 AM
Yeah, I taken the gearbox oil out........
And filled the engine with double the oil..........

Great idea Simon to take a picture for clarification.

Silly mistakes happen, but no damage has occurred... :)

bomber
25th January 2011, 05:24 AM
yes YNOT,
i am betting they used 20w50 or 15w50, i have an oil pressure gauge in the mail. i will be getting some delo 400 in the next 2 weeks, coz i want this baby to last so myself and the family can have some fun away from civilisation.
thanks mate.
ben-e-boy..... my dad is an old school motor mechanic, so that trick is very helpfull but the rattle is during acceleration(mainly).
during stationary operation i feel my fourbie shake a bit when slowly increasing the revs as though something is out of balance.
but i thank you for reminding me of the screwdriver trick.

YNOT
12th February 2011, 07:39 AM
Bomber, how did you go sorting out the engine rattle you had after the oil change?

Tony

szaf
13th February 2011, 11:53 PM
I assume that Caltex Delo 400 15w40 multigrade is the oil to use for a 3 ltr diesel - what about the oil that their own oil tha nissan recommend

bomber
18th February 2011, 11:05 PM
no mate i didnt.... very strange, it comes and goes and i was wrong with the "rattle". apon closer inspection its a knock ..... only faint during acceleration and holding steady revs while driving. i am thinking possibly along the lines of big ends or mains, as its not blowing smoke i think i might be safe in saying the piston rings are ok and not letting the piston lean over.

InkWells2
17th December 2013, 10:26 AM
Hi,
I just done a simple oil change and now I have really stuffed things up.
I was reading online that over filling the oil actually damages the engine.

As I don't have a GQ Patrol manual readily available, could someone please tell me how much engine oil is needed? (6 cylinder, 4.2 Litre Diesel) from a GQ 1990 Patrol.

I really cant believe how a simple oil change, after all the other things I modified on my vehicle, is the one to get it undone.

I put in 9 litres of oil yesterday. and today I went to drain the engine oil, and nothing comes out! I mean it was not leaking oil from the 20km I driven. and it wasn't burning it up because there was no black smoke from exhaust.
I needed to drain engine oil out due to a whining sound that came from the 1,2,3 and 5th gear when driving. Furthermore, at about 1100 RPM the engine shakes just noticeably.
I feared that the problem was over dosed in the oil, but now there is none to be coming out of the bottom bung.

Thanks for any help...

Hi
I have just bought a GQ with a RD28T engine and I have not owned a Patrol before.....I noted with interest that your car was making a whining sound in 1, 2,3 and 5th gear under acceleration (4th is very very quiet ) and wondered if you had determined what might / was the problem?? Where you able to reduce or eliminate the noise ??

Thanks for any assistance Ian

InkWells2
17th December 2013, 10:44 AM
Hi I just bought my first GQ patrol (in great nick overall and very well maintained) and so I am new to the forum ....there is an annoying whining noise in 1, 2, 3 and 5th gear when under accelaration. 4th gear is incredibly quiet. I noted this was mentioned up above in an earlier post. Does anyone have any technical ideas on how to minimise or eliminate the noise. The gearbox was a second hand one put in just 20,000 km ago and the previous owner of 12 years said that the noise was there when he put it in and it hasn't got any worse? Why would 4th be quiet and the others noisy??

Regards Ian

threedogs
17th December 2013, 11:09 AM
Might want to get the mods to shift this and make it your own thread no many look at old threads.

Dales300exc
17th December 2013, 02:54 PM
Mine gearbox is the same and has been for 100,000 km. 4th is quiet because it is direct 1:1 ratio and doesn't put load through the countershaft like every other gear doesz