PDA

View Full Version : how does this come off?? (Steering wheel cover)

boggy2006
18th January 2011, 08:17 PM
hi,

I need to straighten my steering wheel after doing a lift, but can't work out how to get the central cover off (pic attached). Haynes manual doesn't help as it's completely different! Can anyone help?

cheers

YNOT
18th January 2011, 08:37 PM
There is a phillips head screw on the back of the bottom spoke. The rest is clipped on.

Tony

Sir Roofy
18th January 2011, 08:37 PM
Have you checked your wheel alignment first it could be out,before you pull it apart

YNOT
18th January 2011, 08:58 PM
Unless you have an aftermarket adjustable drag link you won't be able to centre the steering by adjustment.

Tony

the evil twin
18th January 2011, 09:40 PM
YNOT is correct , you can't "adjust" it out what you do is move the wheel on the shaft... I did mine and its easy peasy... Mine needed to go two splines after a 2 inch lift and was then spot on...

Put the wheel straight and have a look behind the wheel in the 6 o'clock position and you will see a hole.

Now, inside the hole is a Phillips head screw but it is sorta vertical so you have to put the screwdriver in pointing towards the roof not straight in the hole.
Undo the screw and prise off the trim from the bottom and sides as there are two clips at 3 and 9 O'clock.

There are a few ways to get the wheel off. I suggest leaving the nut on a couple of turns so the wheel doesn't fly off when it lets go. Here is what worked for me.
Jam your knees behind the wheel at 3 and 9 and push back on the wheel by pushing on the floor with your feet and at the same time give the wheel as solid a belt downwards (yes, downwards) with the palm of your hand at the 12 Oclock position as you can, then do the same at 6 and repeat after a belt or two the wheel will come off the splines maybe 95% of teh time.

Finly Owner
18th January 2011, 10:49 PM
Just use a steering wheel puller with nut still on slightly to stop steering wheel jumping off.

boggy2006
19th January 2011, 07:32 AM
thanks all. I spotted the hole at the back and tried a screwdriver in there but it just seemed to go all the way through. Didn't try angling it upwards though so will give that a try later. Very good point to leave the nut on a bit so you don't get whacked in the face when it finally comes off (assuming one prefers to struggle like hell before buying the proper tool like me!!).

boggy2006
20th January 2011, 01:51 PM
managed it last night, thanks. Unscrewed the centre nut partially, then got my knees up behind it and pull the top with my hands. Came loose eventually. Getting that little screw back in behind the wheel is another matter though, so I gave up! The centre panel is clipped in well enough.

the evil twin
20th January 2011, 04:16 PM
...Getting that little screw back in behind the wheel is another matter though, so I gave up! The centre panel is clipped in well enough.

Yep... been there done that...