PDA

View Full Version : Meetup in the middle 2014. Qld convoy/double crossing

Punderhead
30th October 2013, 09:34 PM
Hi all

Just wanted to start the thread to nut out all the details for the qld convoy and doubly crossing of the desert.

I presume that the east west crossing will take three days. Meaning we will want to leave birds vile on the 28th. How many days do you want to allow to go Brisbane to birds vile?

And who is going? Really want to nut it all out ASAP to figure out if I can make this trip

Cheers!

First Patrol
30th October 2013, 10:03 PM
I'm going from Gladstone via Brisbane but not decided what route yet mate. May be keen on the double??? I'll see how it pans out and who else is going I think
Cheers

AB
31st October 2013, 09:06 AM
I can't confirm anything yet with the double or single crossing until my new baby is born and see where we are at come closer to the dates.

MudRunnerTD
31st October 2013, 10:42 AM
Hey Punder, i moved your thread to the QLD section mate.

Roll up Roll Up

rusty_nail
31st October 2013, 10:47 AM
Hey Punder, i moved your thread to the QLD section mate.

Roll up Roll Up

how come your going with the QLD'ers mate?

MudRunnerTD
31st October 2013, 10:50 AM
how come your going with the QLD'ers mate?

Going to drive up to Birdsville and park the camper trailer then do a double crossing. So i will meet anyone from QLD, NSW that wants to start from the east side and cross the desert to get to Dalhousie for the meetup.

rusty_nail
31st October 2013, 10:56 AM
Going to drive up to Birdsville and park the camper trailer then do a double crossing. So i will meet anyone from QLD, NSW that wants to start from the east side and cross the desert to get to Dalhousie for the meetup.

ahhh right. i will be working hard to get to this one. i have so much leave(about 8 weeks) up my sleeve, i gotta use it sometime!

First Patrol
31st October 2013, 03:59 PM
Shit I'd be stupid not to do double crossing it will knock about 2500 km off my trip I'm in but will meet you guys in birdsville

Punderhead
1st November 2013, 06:33 PM
We'll, I have been checking the maps, and I presume anyone coming from Brisbane will pass through toowoomba. While I am more than happy to meet in birdsville, I would prefer to travel out there with others, as outback it makes it just that little bit safer.

Travelling by myself I will take 2 days to get to birdsville, however if a convoy wants to take three days then I'm not fussed.

I presume that everyone is happy with beginning the east west crossing on 28th June?

Cheers

threedogs
1st November 2013, 06:43 PM
I'd be interested in this one, love the Simmo

Punderhead
1st November 2013, 10:18 PM
If i do the trip to birdsville, in 2 days, I plan to make it 4-5 hours past charleville on the first day. (26th) If the trip is done in three days, I think charleville would be a good stopover point on the first night (25th) then drive 10 hours or so the second day (26th), leaving a nice cruisy 6-7 hours to get to birdsville on the third (27th)

This leaves time to drink at the birdsville pub, o wait that's meant to be the return trip.

As for the return trip I am happy to go with the flow and head back at a cruisey pace with any others returning straight after the crossing.

Cheers

Punderhead
1st November 2013, 10:25 PM
Oh and MR, which patrol are you taking? Gq?

Cheers

AB
1st November 2013, 10:27 PM

Cheers

He's taking his disco apparently...lol

MudRunnerTD
1st November 2013, 10:34 PM

Cheers

GUIV for sure mate. It's the family car ;)

Punderhead
15th November 2013, 11:03 PM
We'll unfortunately I was declined leave for this trip :( it seems that 2 others put in for leave already and I didn't know :(

Have fun everybody and drink a few rums for me!

Cheers!

MudRunnerTD
15th November 2013, 11:09 PM
We'll unfortunately I was declined leave for this trip :( it seems that 2 others put in for leave already and I didn't know :(

Cheers!

Well that sucks Big a time mate!!!!!

Stropp
15th November 2013, 11:16 PM

Cheers!

Get a friendly doctor to give you a week off :)

Punderhead
16th November 2013, 12:05 AM
Get a friendly doctor to give you a week off :)

Hmmm, yeah that will totally work.......

I need 2 weeks. First week can be constipated, and the second week I can have diarrhoea! No one will suspect a thing!

Cheers!

ozzyboy
16th November 2013, 12:17 AM
I do believe a few of us, are heading to the cape first, then heading south to the centre, then across on the way back to Brisbane. 6 weeks leave goes in Monday. 10 weeks annual leave saved so can't see a problem getting approved.

looking forward to it big time :)

ozz

kelly
18th March 2014, 11:47 AM
So who is still going out? im looking for someone to travel with out to the meet :) im starting from gold coast.

Dr Gary
23rd May 2014, 12:57 PM
So how many have actually signed up?? Do you plan on the French Line or something else? Are folks taking spouses/partners?
Seems like a 3 day crossing is pretty much a dash with no time to "smell the roses"' -it is 504k from Dalhousie to Birdsville, 757 from Kulgera.
Brisbane to Birdsville is doable in two long days--Quilpie is about half way. We just did that run in reverse.
I just came back from a Simmo disaster --my "colleague" decided at Kulgera that as it rained in Alice Springs, he would detour via Oodnadatta and skip the Simmo--and he had the fridge, max trax etc. so we were left with little choice but to tag along--after driving 5,000k and months of planning---especially as 50% of the Oodnadatta was closed. Really unhappy and lesson learned--don't share critical stuff!!!

MudRunnerTD
23rd May 2014, 01:14 PM
So how many have actually signed up?? Do you plan on the French Line or something else? Are folks taking spouses/partners?
Seems like a 3 day crossing is pretty much a dash with no time to "smell the roses"' -it is 504k from Dalhousie to Birdsville, 757 from Kulgera.
Brisbane to Birdsville is doable in two long days--Quilpie is about half way. We just did that run in reverse.
I just came back from a Simmo disaster --my "colleague" decided at Kulgera that as it rained in Alice Springs, he would detour via Oodnadatta and skip the Simmo--and he had the fridge, max trax etc. so we were left with little choice but to tag along--after driving 5,000k and months of planning---especially as 50% of the Oodnadatta was closed. Really unhappy and lesson learned--don't share critical stuff!!!

Yes that sounds average indeed mate. Definitely need your own Fridge and recovery gear. I am not sure how many (if any) are still heading down for this trip from QLD. I dont have any on my trip list in the main thread. In saying that if you can make your way to Daulhousie for the 1st July your welcome to travel West / East with our group. Currently 10 vehicles. No Trailers.

MudRunnerTD
23rd May 2014, 01:16 PM
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?25067-Confirmed-Meet-up-In-the-Middle-New-Poll/page13

snicko
23rd May 2014, 01:22 PM
Feel your pain....... Had a similar experience with "friends" as well and up that way too.

I really hope you get to do it another time with new colleagues who are on the same page as you!
You can still do it with us??

Stropp
23rd May 2014, 06:27 PM
all to comon, my mate drove from nsw to do the csr and got to giles before leaving the tour group after the "leader" took them onto wrong tracks and getting lost a few times but could not be told they were heading in the wrong direction. reminds me of that advert on telly "i know boats" pmsl

Avo
23rd May 2014, 06:59 PM
Don't tell me about boats...loved that add.glug glugg glugg

kelly
27th May 2014, 04:10 PM
Im still keen to go, but its coming down to funds (fuel money) and i would have a camper trailer + 2 kids with me.

MudRunnerTD
27th May 2014, 05:08 PM
Im still keen to go, but its coming down to funds (fuel money) and i would have a camper trailer + 2 kids with me.

The kids are fine I will have my young fella Zach with me (8). You would be the only trailer in the group and it would be much better if you could travel without it. Or tow it to chords ills and unhook, do the crossing and pick it up after? That was my plan but now just leaving it at home and taking the OzTent.

the evil twin
27th May 2014, 05:28 PM

FWIW I am towing my camper.
You don't "have" to do the Simmo Crossing albeit most are.
For example I'll be rolling into Dalhousie setting up the Camper and doing an "out and back" or two thru the Western Simpson.
After that I might swing around the bottom to Birdsville via Oodnadatta and:
meet the mob at Big Red, or
drive the K1 and meet them at Poeppels, or
meet at Birdsville for one last Beer and then do all the Burke and Wills stuff around Innaminka, or
head North and skip Innaminka this time and come back to the Alice and the West Mac's via the Plenty Hwy

AB
27th May 2014, 07:06 PM
I cannot believe how quick this has now come around and much time we had to get ready...lol

megatexture
27th May 2014, 07:14 PM
kinda glad i cant make it now as i dont have a rooftop bag to use yet:(:frown:

Winnie
27th May 2014, 07:17 PM
I cannot believe how quick this has now come around and much time we had to get ready...lol

Bad aren't we... Lmao

AB
27th May 2014, 07:18 PM

Ill make you one if you come?

Clunk
27th May 2014, 08:33 PM

Funny you should say that mate, it's the exact same reason I can't make it

AB
27th May 2014, 08:40 PM
Funny you should say that mate, it's the exact same reason I can't make it

Ill meet you both at Dalhousie Springs with roof top bags.

Free roof too bags for everyone who's coming, scroll back through the pages gents, I've made 30 prototypes but I want to ensure no dust can get Inside.

I made up some and are giving them to the members going on this trip so we can test them out.

Epic trip blokes, free roof bags, awesome!!!

megatexture
27th May 2014, 08:43 PM
Ill make you one if you come?

i would love to mate but i cant spare the days off work for two holidays and the missus is set on going to france... id rather drive up sand dunes anyday but i have to keep her happy lol

Winnie
27th May 2014, 08:45 PM
Ill meet you both at Dalhousie Springs with roof top bags.

Free roof too bags for everyone who's coming, scroll back through the pages gents, I've made 30 prototypes but I want to ensure no dust can get Inside.

I made up some and are giving them to the members going on this trip so we can test them out.

Epic trip blokes, free roof bags, awesome!!!

Will be a good test for them that's for sure!

megatexture
27th May 2014, 08:49 PM
ill happily buy a roof top bag off you once you have ironed out the bugs:cheers:

AB
27th May 2014, 08:53 PM
Will be a good test for them that's for sure!

What did you think of the twin zips all round?

Hope they hold the bloody dust out!!!!

MudRunnerTD
27th May 2014, 09:10 PM
Your full of Sh1t AB

Winnie
27th May 2014, 09:16 PM
What did you think of the twin zips all round?

Hope they hold the bloody dust out!!!!

I just don't see how a zip can be dust proof and I reckon if dust can get through 1 zip it will get through 2. I am happy to be wrong though and we will see how it goes!

AB
27th May 2014, 09:23 PM
I just don't see how a zip can be dust proof and I reckon if dust can get through 1 zip it will get through 2. I am happy to be wrong though and we will see how it goes!

Pretty good pk zips though plus that fold over flap with Velcro.

Should be ok, perfect test run though bud!

Stropp
27th May 2014, 09:25 PM
Well I will be looking forward to my bag at Dalhousie and don't worry clunk I'll put up a pic for you :)

Winnie
27th May 2014, 09:29 PM
Pretty good pk zips though plus that fold over flap with Velcro.

Should be ok, perfect test run though bud!

Yeah well see... Lol but I'm happy to be a guinea pig

Dr Gary
28th May 2014, 01:00 PM
I have just done Plenty east to west and Oodnadatta west to east. Both tracks are awful, especially the Plenty. Oodnadatta was extra bad because of rain, so if it rains that is also bad.
I have considered a double crossing from Birdsville, and even with your trailer (not recommended) it would likely be easier (and half the distance) to cross west to east than the other two.
You will have company to dig you out if you team up with "the mob" Low pressures and light loading!!! lol

Dr Gary
29th May 2014, 02:46 PM
Are you still planning on an east-west? Let me know.
Two days is busy getting to Birdsville-it takes 1,000 km from the Gold Coast to Quilpie, then 580 or so to Birdsville, half on gravel.
You will need to allow a full day at Dalhousie to drive up to Mt Dare for fuel etc. It is around 75 km each way unless you go via Blood Creek, then it is 100km