PDA

View Full Version : Reasons why your 4x4 is Overheating

AB
26th June 2010, 08:27 PM
Car engines tend to overheat because of lack of antifreeze in the vehicle or because of a thermostat that sticks closed, restricting the coolant from flowing through the motor. Discover the most common reasons for overheating engines with information from a certified master mechanic in this free video on car maintenance and repairs.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/lqmNWSTqizw&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/lqmNWSTqizw&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

zuluwoffle
13th December 2010, 06:35 PM
easiest way to check a thermostat I find is to look for the temperature rating on it and then stick it in a saucepan with a thermometer. While the water is warming up keep an eye on the thermometer and the thermostat and see if it opens at the right temperature. If it doesn't, replace it.

Woof
13th December 2010, 07:59 PM
Just like this.
http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm190/Uriah57/4x4WAShowToojayTrip031.jpg

reinaldo
6th January 2011, 11:54 AM
Is it the radiator?

rkinsey
6th January 2011, 11:56 AM
Just like this.
http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm190/Uriah57/4x4WAShowToojayTrip031.jpg

Just remember to use an old saucepan or pot or mum will go nuts!!!!

ecrusty
7th January 2011, 10:52 PM
I'm guessing you would be just be eliminating this as a cause for overheating, right? If you have gone to all the trouble to remove the thermostat and more than likely stuffed the gaskets and found this was not the cause would it not be advisable to replace them while you are at it?

YNOT
7th January 2011, 11:18 PM
I would have to agree.
Personally I don't test thermostats, I just replace them.

Tony

robsgq
8th January 2011, 11:49 PM
Im with Tony just replace and make sure your far is on the right way
cheers

GQ4.2
9th January 2011, 08:41 AM
another few reasons why a engine will overheat is, clogged radiators and also your clutch fan not kicking in

Macgyver
10th January 2011, 11:23 PM
Whats the best way to test the clutch fan. Should it engage on the highway?

sehzata
19th January 2011, 08:46 PM
thanks a lot men, good job. i have never seen like this.

YNOT
19th January 2011, 09:09 PM
Welcome to the forum Sehzata. What part of the world are you from?
When you get the chance drop by the introductions thread and tell us a bit about yourself and your Patrol.

Tony

MS29431
8th March 2011, 05:48 PM
Hey Guy's my old SD33 MQ sits on qtr temp all day everyday on hot or cold days but when im out on the highway winding 'er up once it gets to 110 - 130 @ about 3,000 revs it heats up to a bit above halfway not much to worry about just wondering about it?
Maybe thats as quick as it will go? so its heating up or maybe the waterpump isnt what it used to be any idea's??

lachiek
9th March 2011, 07:00 PM
Until it saw a hill or a cop approaching my old MQ (SD33 non turbo) spent a lot of time sitting on the highway at 130. Didn't worry it at all and temp stayed below 1/2 even on hot days. Only thing that caused the temp to rise was wringing its neck up hills.

katwoman
9th March 2011, 07:05 PM
How do you find out what your running temp should be ? The Katrol sits around 90-100c. But cabin getting veeeery hot.. may not be my 'hotbox' at all. The air-con cuts out once motor temp gets to 100c. Its like the heater is stuck on ( but it's not). Console almost melting it is getting so hot..

YNOT
9th March 2011, 07:21 PM
Hey Guy's my old SD33 MQ sits on qtr temp all day everyday on hot or cold days but when im out on the highway winding 'er up once it gets to 110 - 130 @ about 3,000 revs it heats up to a bit above halfway not much to worry about just wondering about it?
Maybe thats as quick as it will go? so its heating up or maybe the waterpump isnt what it used to be any idea's??

A couple of points here;

1, The factory guages are not very accurate or linear. If you want accuracy you will need an aftermarket guage.

2, The temperature should ideally sit at halfway on the guage. Assuming some degree of accuracy in your guage this would indicate a faulty thermostat (stuck open).

3, When the engine temperature rises (again assuming some guage accuracy) when you push the engine a bit harder it can indicate the cooling system is near maximum capacity in normal driving but is unable to remove the additional heat when pushing the engine. This requires a broader investigation into the cooling system to regain the additional cooling capacity. Everything from radiator to size and position of spotlights etc needs to be taken into account.

Tony

MS29431
9th March 2011, 07:50 PM
Now that you mention it it's only realy done it since i've stuck my 4 spotlights in the grille
Thanks for the tips i'll play around with a few things and see how we go
It's not getting hot enough to cause any issues but i just dont like engine's that all of a sudden start running hotter than normal

johnny
12th March 2011, 12:44 AM
Great Video.. I heard earth leak can damage your radiator. Is this true? And if so what should the reading be when testing?

Finly Owner
12th March 2011, 12:46 AM
Great Video.. I heard earth leak can damage your radiator. Is this true? And if so what should the reading be when testing?
Hmmm I'm not sure on this one, it may take 24 hours before one of our tech minded members can answer that one for you.

Tim

YNOT
12th March 2011, 09:47 AM

Check this thread for more info; http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?3200-Stray-current&p=50953#post50953

Tony

simongnz
22nd March 2011, 12:02 PM
My GQ started overheating for the first time on the weekend. I was wringing its neck uphill with a trailer on but certainly not for the first time. The only difference from normal is that I had the injectors replaced and the valve gear refaced. It's got a lot more power now and no smoke. Could the overheating be a result of the increase in power? It was pretty gutless and smokey before but never overheated.

YNOT
22nd March 2011, 12:16 PM
It's likely your cooling system was on the limit before due to gradual degradation over time, and now that the engine is working to it's full potential again the cooling system can't cope. Time for a cooling system overhaul (new radiator, thermostat, hoses, coolant etc) to get the system back to full cooling capacity. Consider upgrading to a heavy duty 3 core radiator.

Also look at what is in front of the radiator, ie big spot lights, which solenoid packs etc, they can have a big effect on the amount of air getting to the radiator.

Tony

simongnz
22nd March 2011, 02:01 PM
Thanks Tony. More money! I might start with the coolant as that's looking pretty average at present.

katwoman
31st March 2011, 07:57 AM
I am about embark on changing the 5 core aluminium radiator and thermo fans all back to standard.Any tips on what to do or NOT to do.. Have priced new radiator, clutch fan and hoses. Having trouble getting blades. ( new or 2nd hand.) Katrol went to docs yesterday, and they would not touch radiator cos it doesnt come apart. These aluminium rads are not recommened for GU's apparently. Or should I get 2nd opinion? Just spent $1500 on new boots, now gotta find lots more $ to put back to original.

Bigrig
31st March 2011, 08:17 AM
I am about embark on changing the 5 core aluminium radiator and thermo fans all back to standard.Any tips on what to do or NOT to do.. Have priced new radiator, clutch fan and hoses. Having trouble getting blades. ( new or 2nd hand.) Katrol went to docs yesterday, and they would not touch radiator cos it doesnt come apart. These aluminium rads are not recommened for GU's apparently. Or should I get 2nd opinion? Just spent $1500 on new boots, now gotta find lots more $ to put back to original.

What's wring with the radiator??? Been flushed??? If it has no leaks etc (pressure test), then I don't see the reason for changing an expensive item - I have one, and it's a bottler. Has the cooling system had a proper flush (under pressure)?

Have you tried running a colder thermostat also? I did this in conjunction with the radiator and mine barely ever gets to half way now under load, let alone living above half whilst normal driving previously.

I'd be getting a second opinion just on the off chance you could save yourself some spondoolies!

katwoman
31st March 2011, 08:29 AM
What's wring with the radiator??? Been flushed??? If it has no leaks etc (pressure test), then I don't see the reason for changing an expensive item - I have one, and it's a bottler. Has the cooling system had a proper flush (under pressure)?

Have you tried running a colder thermostat also? I did this in conjunction with the radiator and mine barely ever gets to half way now under load, let alone living above half whilst normal driving previously.

I'd be getting a second opinion just on the off chance you could save yourself some spondoolies!
have thought of all that. The radiator man wouldnt touch it !! Will do it myself first and as u say, change thermostat and see what happens. There's no leaks, it just runs too hot. Operating temp of GU is 82c. Katrol runs at 90c. Under load she runs at 100-110c. THX for that. The radiator, I'm told is not that old. ( maybe 12 months) and apparently there is a secondary thermo missing off it. Maybe 2nd thermo will help. Just thought it would be easier to go back to standard..

Bigrig
31st March 2011, 08:40 AM
have thought of all that. The radiator man wouldnt touch it !! Will do it myself first and as u say, change thermostat and see what happens. There's no leaks, it just runs too hot. Operating temp of GU is 82c. Katrol runs at 90c. Under load she runs at 100-110c. THX for that. The radiator, I'm told is not that old. ( maybe 12 months) and apparently there is a secondary thermo missing off it. Maybe 2nd thermo will help. Just thought it would be easier to go back to standard..

Mate, the aluminum radiators run cooler than the stock units by a long shot, and if it's only 12 months old, I'd be keeping it for sure (they are nearly double the price for a reason). Definitely get it flushed professionally under pressure (they use a steam attachment I believe and high pressure to blow every bit of crap out of the system. Throw a cold thermostat in it and see how it runs. Cold thermostats open about 12 degrees cooler than standard (around 75 degrees I believe) and should definitely make an improvement.

Good luck with it mate!

katwoman
31st March 2011, 11:11 AM
Mate, the aluminum radiators run cooler than the stock units by a long shot, and if it's only 12 months old, I'd be keeping it for sure (they are nearly double the price for a reason). Definitely get it flushed professionally under pressure (they use a steam attachment I believe and high pressure to blow every bit of crap out of the system. Throw a cold thermostat in it and see how it runs. Cold thermostats open about 12 degrees cooler than standard (around 75 degrees I believe) and should definitely make an improvement.

Good luck with it mate!

Well, just had second opinion, and looks like I'm goin back 2 original. Damn it

blair
31st March 2011, 11:20 AM
i think my thermostat could be stuffed the temp gauge take ages to climb to quarter way up guage

YNOT
31st March 2011, 06:32 PM
i think my thermostat could be stuffed the temp gauge take ages to climb to quarter way up guage

Sounds like it's stuck open.

Tony

katwoman
5th April 2011, 08:00 PM
Need to get fan blades for Katrol. Is there anything I should look for? Will more blades make it run cooler? Are the eBay aftermarket ones ok?
Thanks in advance..

Bigrig
5th April 2011, 08:20 PM
Need to get fan blades for Katrol. Is there anything I should look for? Will more blades make it run cooler? Are the eBay aftermarket ones ok?
Thanks in advance..

The biggest ones that will fit into it .. Not sure on brands but can find out tomorrow as mine is coming out soon also.

katwoman
6th April 2011, 07:20 AM
Thx Scotty. Will wait for your expert opinion !!

Bigrig
6th April 2011, 07:53 AM

Expert?? You've got me all wrong lady!!!

Ohhhhh ... sarcasm!!!! LOL!!!

I'll find out later and post it up.

katwoman
6th April 2011, 08:00 AM
C'mon. I'm giving you the chance to put up a useful post . I am never sarcastic !!

growler2058
6th April 2011, 08:07 AM

That would mean EX as in has been and Spurt as a drip under pressure! HAHAHAHA

katwoman
6th April 2011, 08:10 AM
That's not very nice.

Bigrig
6th April 2011, 08:16 AM
C'mon. I'm giving you the chance to put up a useful post . I am never sarcastic !!

I bet I can find at least one useful post in all my dribble ... somewhere... I think ... maybe ...

Hmmm ... nope ... lol

Bigrig
6th April 2011, 08:17 AM
That would mean EX as in has been and Spurt as a drip under pressure! HAHAHAHA

lol ... c'mon, be honest ... You've been working on that one for weeks haven't you?? LOL!!!!

growler2058
6th April 2011, 08:20 AM
lol ... c'mon, be honest ... You've been working on that one for weeks haven't you?? LOL!!!!

Mate Ive been sitting staring at the screen just waiting in anticipation to pull that one out hahahahahahahahahaha

Bigrig
6th April 2011, 08:34 AM
Mate Ive been sitting staring at the screen just waiting in anticipation to pull that one out hahahahahahahahahaha

I believe it!! lmfao

growler2058
6th April 2011, 08:41 AM
Another reason for overheating is wait for it..............................the temperature! HAHAAHAHa oh i better go do some w..k before i get barred

katwoman
6th April 2011, 09:58 AM
Another reason for overheating is wait for it..............................the temperature! HAHAAHAHa oh i better go do some w..k before i get barred

Why didn't I think of that ? Cos I live in Victoria !!!!!

katwoman
11th April 2011, 10:09 AM
Can some one with a GU count their fan blades please ? Looking at aftermarket one with 7 blades. Just want to make sure is enough ( petrol )
Cheers, in advance Kat

Sir Roofy
11th April 2011, 12:49 PM
7 is the answer kat

timbar
11th April 2011, 03:28 PM
ding ding ding ding WINNER ..................Kat u have now won the chance to go buy an aftermarket fan Congratulations

ok little too much excitement for me sorry im bored SH$TL3SS i apollogise......:( :(

katwoman
11th April 2011, 06:04 PM
ding ding ding ding WINNER ..................Kat u have now won the chance to go buy an aftermarket fan Congratulations

ok little too much excitement for me sorry im bored SH$TL3SS i apollogise......:( :(

Quit it ! Night shift security will be open for business shortly..

timbar
11th April 2011, 07:13 PM
Night shift security dont work during the day so im safe LOL

HammerBuilder
12th March 2012, 12:57 PM
Thanks in advance..

Hey there Kat
The boys down my way are using the twin electric fans & suround of the EL to BF Ford Falcons as they can have the first fan hooked straight to an adjustable thermostat & the second fan to a switch inside the cab & after cruising with 1 of them it seem to work very well as they only realy use the inside switch when towing in heavy traffic or up very long hills... This maybe a cheaper fix for you just get 1 from a wrecker

Also just fixed my GQ 2.8 heating problem, ripped the head off to find the multi-layer head gasket had cracks through a few layers but not right through, replaced gasket n now it doesn't get near half way even with trailer on. Mine was heating up under boost pressure spitting boost through the cracks pushing water out of radiator then running round town with no high pressure it was drawing the coolant back into the radiator done this for 2 years then I got sick of seeing the overflow bottle full after a trip & no-1 could tell me the problem, thats why I did my own investigation n found the gasket problem. All great now done couple of trips up in the hills & getting way better economy & power now.
Hope this may help some-1 over time.

Cheers TonyD

tmijnhout
25th March 2012, 10:45 PM
I think I might have to put an electric fan on mine. Great Video!

chollyfunk
11th April 2012, 06:57 PM
Well I've just had some serious overheating since yesterday. After discovering my radiator was EMPTY (I've been away for a couple of weeks) it looks like I've got a problem with my water pump. There's coolant leaking from it which sounds like the seal to me, but I also had a whining sound for a bit which last time I had one of those turned out to be worn bearings on a drive shaft - so I'm thinking maybe both these things have happened and I need to get a new water pump?

As you can tell, I know absolutely nothing about engines :) But it seems like a job I might be able to take on myself... amirite?

cairnsGU
11th April 2012, 07:08 PM
easiest way to check a thermostat I find is to look for the temperature rating on it and then stick it in a saucepan with a thermometer. While the water is warming up keep an eye on the thermometer and the thermostat and see if it opens at the right temperature. If it doesn't, replace it.

Thats if you dont own a zd30 lol

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Tapatalk 2

bentron
24th April 2012, 12:16 PM
My 2003 ZD30 was overheating going up big hills on the highway but never any other time. Found out was a partially blocked radiator got a new one delivered for $350 and has not been a problem since.