PDA

View Full Version : Save $100s by skipping the fridge slide

Flo-w
28th October 2013, 11:09 PM
With my new car I'm going all basic (but reliable) to save some bucks. I've found a new place for my fridge which allows me to skip the fridge slide. Even when built yourself a slide would cost around $100 - $150 because of the heavy duty drawers required.

I've a 50l Waeco fridge and it fits perfectly behind a rear seat when folded to the front. All that's required is a little platform for it to stand level. I've left out a bit to still have access to the hook the seat attaches to as a tie down point. I'm using something like 500kg rated straps for that as they can wrap around and under the fridge to the tie down point.

Fridge is super easy to access and cables are shorter which again saves money. Fridge can still "breath" easily. Actually I think it has now more air than in my last storage system.
I "lose" one seat but for touring that's no problem as I wouldn't tour with 4 people anyway. It's only an inconvenience for shorter trips with friends and fridge.

Price to build: about $15 for timber and screws, less if you have leftovers or find a wooden pallet on the nature strip.

Only thing missing in the photos are the tie down straps and some carpet on the platform.

oncedisturbed
29th October 2013, 12:44 AM
More pics would be great to see. I am looking at doing the same for the Simmo trip

happygu
29th October 2013, 01:24 AM
With my new car I'm going all basic (but reliable) to save some bucks. I've found a new place for my fridge which allows me to skip the fridge slide. Even when built yourself a slide would cost around $100 - $150 because of the heavy duty drawers required.

I've a 50l Waeco fridge and it fits perfectly behind a rear seat when folded to the front. All that's required is a little platform for it to stand level. I've left out a bit to still have access to the hook the seat attaches to as a tie down point. I'm using something like 500kg rated straps for that as they can wrap around and under the fridge to the tie down point.

Fridge is super easy to access and cables are shorter which again saves money. Fridge can still "breath" easily. Actually I think it has now more air than in my last storage system.
I "lose" one seat but for touring that's no problem as I wouldn't tour with 4 people anyway. It's only an inconvenience for shorter trips with friends and fridge.

Price to build: about $15 for timber and screws, less if you have leftovers or find a wooden pallet on the nature strip.

Only thing missing in the photos are the tie down straps and some carpet on the platform.

Looks good Flow, but I would advise on fixing the timber platform down to the floor, as it will move if you don't with all the corrigations.

Mic

threedogs
29th October 2013, 07:25 AM
Exactely how I have mine except I removed the seat, even my short mate can access it no Probs
$990 for drop down fridge slide I think not, Mine clips to an Engel transit base $60 from Rays, no
straps one hand to engage clip to remove, lid just touches roof, even the cargo barrier fits.
Ignore shelf I dropped off that idea for now.

Flo-w
28th November 2013, 12:47 PM
More pics would be great to see. I am looking at doing the same for the Simmo trip
Finally got around to finish the project. Now it has carped which I had left over. Takes a while to glue the edges if you only have two clamps.
The "timber stacks" could be a bit tidier but I just used whatever I had lying around. Make sure to test the height in the car before putting it together.

MudRunnerTD
28th November 2013, 12:56 PM
A Staple gun works a treat on the carpet along with Glue. make the job quick and easy ;)

threedogs
28th November 2013, 01:44 PM
With my one I folded some 50mm x 6mm flat and used the existing seat holes on the front and found 2 in the cargo area.
To that I screwed a nice piece of ply stapled on the carpet, and screwed on the TRANSIT Base
Carpet was one large carpet tile from Bunnings, I had a friend grab me extra Engel hinges so I could re hinge it from the side
not the end and only had to cut and overlock my travel cover top fo suit. Only takes 4 bolts to remove and refit seat if required

AB
28th November 2013, 06:56 PM
Curse you blokes with no kids!!!

Children have ruined my mods...lol

Winnie
28th November 2013, 07:06 PM
Have you worked out where the travel buddy is going yet?????

AB
28th November 2013, 07:07 PM
Have you worked out where the travel buddy is going yet?????

It's still on the passenger floor at this point...I reckon I honestly have about 40 jobs I need to do...lol...need to clone myself!!!