PDA

View Full Version : How many circuit breaker are enough?

Flo-w
28th October 2013, 10:51 PM
I've taken a better look at the dual battery setup which came with my car. It has a solenoid, a fuse and probably an 8GA cable between main and aux battery. The basic stuff. I read almost 14V when charging. I think the only reason they had the second battery is for the winch as there are no extra cables running into the car.

I think of leaving the solenoid in as I can almost buy 2 new batteries for the price of a good charger.

But should I replace the fuse with a circuit breaker?
And should I have another circuit breaker in the cable to my fuse block in the boot?
Should I also have a circuit breaker before my Sinewave inverter? It should have one built in according to Jaycar.

Shaun 4x4
28th October 2013, 10:58 PM
The circuit breaker is to protect the cable.
So even if the inverter is off the cable will still be active.
Yes you should have a circuit breaker before the fuse block.

The closer the circuit breaker to the battery the better.

If the fuse is still working then no need to change, but if it blows then change it out.

megatexture
28th October 2013, 11:07 PM
X2 but I'd stick with the fuse be it a mega fuse or a automatic reset thermal fuse, most circuit breakers have moving parts that wouldn't work to well once they get dirt/water in them.just keep it simple.

Shaun 4x4
28th October 2013, 11:12 PM
I did have that same worry.

But the waterproof circuit breakers I've been getting from eBay are pretty good.
Had plenty of mud, water and crap on them and they keep going.
But in saying that only had them on there for a few months so real time will tell

megatexture
28th October 2013, 11:15 PM
Throw a link up to them if you can

Shaun 4x4
28th October 2013, 11:24 PM
These are the ones I have.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1-x-100AMP-CIRCUIT-BREAKER-HIGH-AMP-WATER-PROOF-/120767177800?pt=AU_Boat_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1c1e48e448&_uhb=1

Not sure if it's the same seller tho

Flo-w
29th October 2013, 12:32 AM
I had a circuit breaker in my last truck which looked just like it. One morning the fridge is warm. After a bit of searching I find the circuit breaker - or what's left of it as all but the base plate are now somewhere between Fraser and the High Country. I would put something under it to dampen it next time. Piece of old thongs come to mind.

Shaun 4x4
29th October 2013, 12:38 AM
Dam. Maybe go find it. Lol

I guess that brings another point that they should be checked regularly.
Just like house circuit breakers and rcds, even tho I don't know anyone that checks them but me. Lol

Flo-w
29th October 2013, 12:40 AM
Would be a reason for another trip. Not that I need one. A reason that is.

Should go on the daily check list.

megatexture
29th October 2013, 01:13 AM
Part of the reason I like the auto reset thermal fuses they are a fairly sturdy unit.

threedogs
29th October 2013, 07:36 AM
X 2 with Mega I like the thermal reset type fuses, Great for the Fridge.
As per Norm run all your inverters, lights etc from your Aux battery
Leave start battery for just that start, "thong" Is a great idea to insulate anything.
Always one on the beach eh