PDA

View Full Version : Gearbox being reconditioned

Timbo
18th January 2011, 10:28 AM
Hi guys,

Putting the GU in for a gearbox rebuild and figured since I'll be paying a squillion dollars anyway, I may as well get a new clutch.

Anyone have any suggestions on what type of clutch I should get for the 2.8?
I was thinking about getting them to fit a solid unit rather than the dual mass one.. Is it worth it? I know it's going to cost more though.

Cheers

YNOT
18th January 2011, 11:13 AM
5th gear splines only applies to the bigger gearboxes fitted behind TB/TD/ZD motors.

I don't have direct experience with the DMF v solid comparison but my opinion is you should be ok to fit a sloid flywheel to an RD28 because that's what was fitted to GQ RD28.

Tony

Timbo
18th January 2011, 02:39 PM
It's a 99' for the record Plassy.

Yeah I know there's been a few people who've done it.

Just saw a price for the solid mass flywheel on the net from someone else who had it done on their 2.8.

$1100 for the kit and $600 labour to fit. So, i'm going to be paying about $1500 for the gearbox reco, then adding another $1700 on top of that...

No thanks, I'll keep my Dual Mass Flywheel.

It was a fun thread while it lasted, lots of laughs.. fun times. haha.

YNOT
18th January 2011, 04:53 PM
It's a 99' for the record Plassy.

Yeah I know there's been a few people who've done it.

Just saw a price for the solid mass flywheel on the net from someone else who had it done on their 2.8.

$1100 for the kit and $600 labour to fit. So, i'm going to be paying about $1500 for the gearbox reco, then adding another $1700 on top of that...

No thanks, I'll keep my Dual Mass Flywheel.

It was a fun thread while it lasted, lots of laughs.. fun times. haha.

If the gearbox is already out to be reconditioned it should only be about an hour extra labour (around $100) to replace the clutch.

Tony

Milik607
10th February 2011, 06:19 AM
Where did you get the clutch?

Milik607
10th February 2011, 06:20 AM
I have got a clutch from www.sklep.pl

RustyNails
10th February 2011, 05:54 PM
I have the solid flywheel (98 GU 2.8TD) and do get a fair bit of extra vibration when taking off, especially noticeable when the clutch was new, something that the DMF dampens out. If I am lazy on the pedal I also get some shudder through the pedal.