PDA

View Full Version : What spares do you carry?

DX grunt
18th January 2011, 10:23 AM
What spares do you carry on short trips and long trips?

I understand this list is not exhaustive, but I have to start somewhere.

Finly Owner
18th January 2011, 11:25 PM
At the Mo: wheel, rad hoses; metric bolst nut washers, part that still need to go on Finly, oil water, bug off, rainex, loo paper, tools, s/c boots, overalls, hat, jacket, fuse and globes, I need belts both for on and spares.

Maxhead
19th January 2011, 05:36 AM
So far its very limited, but its in the truck all the time:
Tools
Fuses
Spare MAF
Water
dry and can food
cooking gear
lighters, matches
first aid kit
Rain jacket/pants
Mossy repellant
Sun screen
recovery gear
compressor
+few others I can't remember

macca
19th January 2011, 07:58 AM
Pretty much most of above, plus...
Insulated electrical connectors and crimpers to set them,
Bit of cable,
Butane soldering iron,
Race tape,
Superglue,
Light fencing or tie wire,
Exhaust wrap,
Fuel tank repair stick,
Some rags,
Siphon hose of some sort.
Have used all of the above more than a few times.....
Better to look at it than look for it. :bigthumbup:
Some stuff I'm thinking of leaving at home
Tools that dont fit my ute, you need to bring your own, :devilred:
Bead breaker,
2nd spare, will get a TPMS instead to keep wieght down.
Macca

Bigrig
19th January 2011, 09:57 AM
Circlip pliers ... for the circlip on the hubs/bearings ... pain in the ring gear to remove without them ... or is that just me?? LOL
I always carry a variety of hose clamps (different sizes) and nuts/bolts/washers and a reel of wire (as you said above) etc also for those "do it yourself" jobs like pulling the fire shield on the exhaust back up once it has fallen down and rattles to the point of driving you crazy (yes, this happened just recently). I carry spare headlight and spottie bulbs also depending on where I am headed ...

NissanGQ4.2
19th January 2011, 04:51 PM
I carry Bourbon, more Bourbon and then throw in a couple of spare Bourbon's just in case. "TOOLS" what are they?

Simon
19th January 2011, 06:00 PM
Wow you guys go prepared... I just maintain my car and ensure its all working well... The only thing i have in the car is 2 large shackles and a tow strap and jumpers. Though the jumpers are more for other cars than mine...

Sometimes I take a rag as well when i go 4wd'ing... oh and the standard patrol tool kit...

Sir Roofy
19th January 2011, 06:13 PM
Oh yea they do but dont forget they do some extreme stuff

Woof
19th January 2011, 06:55 PM
2 x Snatch straps
1 x Winch extension strap
1 x tree protector
4 x rated shackles
2 x snatch blocks
1 x dampener
Exhaust jack
Maxtrax
Shovel, short and long handle
Spare UHF
Large first-aid kit
assorted hoses
assorted tools
jumper leads
assorted fuses
tyre valves
etc etc
Fridge/freezer for food and drinks

macca
19th January 2011, 07:13 PM
Wow you guys go prepared... I just maintain my car and ensure its all working well... The only thing i have in the car is 2 large shackles and a tow strap and jumpers. Though the jumpers are more for other cars than mine...

Sometimes I take a rag as well when i go 4wd'ing... oh and the standard patrol tool kit...

When your on a track that is 800klm long (Anne Beadell - CP to Ilkurlka) its not a good idea to rely on your fellow travellers to help if they are with you or not.
If you are on a local track near home, totally different story.
I am fussy with maintenance and preperation and so are my travel mates, but stuff still happens and its good to fix it and get on our way again instead of waiting for a recovery.
We did 14000klm last winter and each of the 4 vehicles needed some repairs by a workshop, we got all of them to a workshop with no further damage, fairly good performance we all thought.
Macca

Maxhead
19th January 2011, 07:19 PM
Haha why aren't I surprised Todd?

As far as tools go I carry these:
Elec tape.
Cloth tape.
Flat pliers/wire cutters.
Pointy pliers.
Spanners.
Sockets.
Screwdrivers.
Wire cutters/crimpers and various connections.
Multimeter.
Fencing wire (INVALUABLE).
Torque wrench (yes I'm paranoid about the GU ejector wheel issue!)
Wheel nuts.
Fuel tank repair stick.
Infrared thermometer.
Tyre repair kit.
Power inverter.
Hand winch and cable.
Snatch strap.
Tow strap.
Rated shackles.
Snatch block.
Long handle shovel.
Gloves (welders and riggers).
Jumper leads.
Welding rods.
Welding mask (only on big outback trips).
First aid kit.
Zip ties (large and medium).
Standard jack.
Exhaust jack.
Fire extinguishers (x2).
Pressure water sprayer (spinifex trips).
Torches.
Workshop manual (ESSENTIAL).
3 x star pickets (for ground anchor use).
Mash hammer.
Large plastic tarp.
Small plastic tarp.
Diesel additive.
Bug off.
Bow saw.
Bow saw blades.
Compressor.
Deflators.
Tyre pressure guage.
Tow hitch recovery hook.
WD40.
Vice grips.
Hose clamps.
Box cutter.
2nd spare wheel on roofbars (big trips only).

Then there's the swag, sleeping bag, pillow, transistor radio, fold up tables x 2, chair, washing tub, stretcher (sleeping one not casualty one!), fishing rod, maps, spare key, handheld GPS, compass, camera, video camera, tripod, extendable tent poles, occy straps, ropes, pegs, guy ropes, roof bars, camp oven, spare stockings (for snorkel head to keep sticks/bugs out of air box, works a treat - not because I'm kinky!), water purifying tablets, paper towel, plastic bags, 50 litres water, clothes, backpack, hats, cutlery, utensils, food and drinks for 6 weeks.

Takes a while to pack and you'd wonder how it all fits in but it does. Everything has its place and everything in its place. I can find and retreive any of the above in seconds.

I've got Tyre Pliers too but don't take them (brand new in cover, used once, all reasonable offers considered haha).

How's that semi trailer handle off road....hahaha
I love the setup mate, ready for anything!!!...good stuff I would love to see it, hopefully soon

Maxhead
19th January 2011, 07:21 PM
When your on a track that is 800klm long (Anne Beadell - CP to Ilkurlka) its not a good idea to rely on your fellow travellers to help if they are with you or not.
If you are on a local track near home, totally different story.
I am fussy with maintenance and preperation and so are my travel mates, but stuff still happens and its good to fix it and get on our way again instead of waiting for a recovery.
We did 14000klm last winter and each of the 4 vehicles needed some repairs by a workshop, we got all of them to a workshop with no further damage, fairly good performance we all thought.
Macca

Couldn't put it better myself!!...well said

Simon
20th January 2011, 07:35 AM
fair call really...

DX grunt
20th January 2011, 08:33 AM
Thanks guys. I've just remembered there's a huge, 'mother of all lists' on this forum. Found it and printed it off.

Great advice from everybody, including being 'self sufficient' with everything.

Thanks.

Ross

NUGGET
20th January 2011, 12:21 PM
I might just load a few crates of Coke and follow Todd, if something happens we at least can have a drink :drunk:

Chubba
5th January 2016, 12:25 AM
A good saying to go by is. "It's better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it"

growler2058
5th January 2016, 06:03 AM
^^^^woh that's deep man^^^^ you're like Confucius

Sent from my iPhone using My thumbs

Chubba
5th January 2016, 08:52 AM
^^^^woh that's deep man^^^^ you're like Confucius

Sent from my iPhone using My thumbs

Why, thank you.

threedogs
27th January 2016, 06:10 PM
A good saying to go by is. "It's better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it"

chocking back the tears my friend as Growler put it Deep very deep.
Really Chubba do you have any more wow its like something Forrest Gump would come up with.
well done,