PDA

View Full Version : Hoses and belts

DX grunt
18th January 2011, 11:21 AM
I've decided it's time to start carrying the basic spares and want to know if Nissan hoses and belts are more reliable than after market ones?

If after market stuff is just as/more reliable, which brands do you suggest I consider?

Thanks.

Ross

YNOT
18th January 2011, 12:36 PM
I agree with Plassy, as long as you get a good aftermarket brand like Gates you shouldn't have a problem.
A few months back I got a new set of hoses and belts for my TD27T Terrano, I got prices from Nissan (I get good prices because I've known one of the parts guys for years) and Repco. Some parts were significantly cheaper through Nissan, other through Repco.

Tony

Simon
18th January 2011, 12:45 PM
gates and mackay make all the hoses that go onto the cars as standard. In any case these are emergency backups that need only last a few weeks presumably and so their reliability is not so critical?

MudRunnerTD
18th January 2011, 12:55 PM
Hey Ross,
be sitting down when you call Nissan for a price mate........:SNruQWn369624407:

Unbelievable.

I tried to get a full kit before my outback trip in September but ended up checking all and they were ok so went without the spares.

I have since been very very lucky and came across someone on ebay that had the full set for the TD42 hoses and belts and had them listed very poorly, brand new in bags, unused spares from their trip. Got them for $60........Got to LOVE ebay.:D:clapping:

MudRunnerTD
18th January 2011, 12:57 PM
If you are going to do it though then i would recommend fitting the new stuff and hanging onto the old stuff in your 1/4 panel for that emergency. I have carried full hoses and belts in the 1/4 of my GQ forever.

DX grunt
18th January 2011, 01:51 PM
If you are going to do it though then i would recommend fitting the new stuff and hanging onto the old stuff in your 1/4 panel for that emergency. I have carried full hoses and belts in the 1/4 of my GQ forever.

Thanks MR. The only problem is that my ute doesn't have 1/4 panels. lol.

Take care out there.

Ross
DX grunt

MudRunnerTD
18th January 2011, 06:57 PM
:smileyvault-cute-bi

yeah but you have that kick butt Telstra Pod on the back mate, no shortage of space there.

I suppose the point is though, they dont need to be in the drawers or the top of your storage box, you hope never to need them.

You might consider getting all the bits and bagging it all up and then wrapping tight with Glad wrap many times mate, pack it down then find a spot under the tray and some decent Zip ties and stash it up there somewhere mate, when you need them, if you need them, you know where they will be.