PDA

View Full Version : Swb patrol auto problems

Hoochthepooch
25th October 2013, 08:17 AM
Hey guys my shorty patrol has an issue with the gearbox in the last gear. At around 90-110 k's the whole cab will start vibrating and the revs will fluctuate and kick up and down. The cab feels like its going over a million tiny little ruts and the car also feels like it loses heaps of power. Please help! It doesn't happen when in in overdrive or once I've gone past that rev point.

jc58nc
27th October 2013, 09:22 AM
Is the SWB raised at all? Owning a SWB Auto myself I went through the whole exercise with a 2" lift, gearbox spacers & adjustable upper arms to get rid of the vibration.
It's because the rear tail shaft is on an acute angle with a SWB and worse with a 2"lift or higher.
In the end I put stock height springs back in and problem vibration is all gone.

Hoochthepooch
27th October 2013, 12:37 PM
Yeah it has a 2 inch lift, I don't wanna go back to stock height! Haha. So pretty much I'm going to have to spend lots of dollars? What if I convert it to a manual will there be any difference?

Clunk
27th October 2013, 12:57 PM
There are a couple of threads regarding auto issues, from what I've read it may well be your torque converter or valve body if your revs are fluctuating. I've got a lwb and had a vibration through what felt like the drive train..... (It wasn't a front end shimmy)...... Replaced the left hand engine mount and vibration from what I can tell is no longer there.

Bigcol
27th October 2013, 01:04 PM
alot has to do with the geometry of the car - being a SWB
your choices are not good
keep the lift and spend $$$$s on new joints and spacers and arms etc to get the "best"angles on the shafts
or
take the lift out and run standard hight

my Bro-in-law years ago(early 90's) spent $$$$ on his G60 as he wanted the look of a Tonka Truck, to get rid of the shakes over 1600RPM(had a 350 Chev in it) in the end he dropped the lift & tyres, so it was drivable

cheers

NissanGQ4.2
27th October 2013, 01:21 PM
Have moved this thread into the Gearboxes ( Auto / Manual ) section of the forum

Cheers

Toddie

my third 256
27th October 2013, 04:47 PM
why cant you remove lift and put larger tires on the beast
same effect and a lot cheeper

Clunk
27th October 2013, 10:41 PM
why cant you remove lift and put larger tires on the beast
same effect and a lot cheeper

Slight issue with tyres rubbing

taslucas
28th October 2013, 07:05 AM
Revs fluctuating and the gears kicking up and down at 90 - 110 sounds like the lockup in the torque converter is playing up.
But heavy vibration at that speed could be a stuffed uni joint. They would be the easiest to check.