PDA

View Full Version : Snorkel - TB42E with LPG

DRK
23rd October 2013, 08:42 PM
Hi everyone,

Wondering if anyone can help me. I'm considering adding a snorkel to my 1993 Patrol Ti that has EFI and LPG fitted. It appears that the air box fitted has a paper element/filter, and that the hose that is attached to the front right (where the snorkel would attach through a hole in the body) is not attached to the air box.

Is this right?

The airbox seems to be hollow underneath and would draw air in from its bottom.

Is this right?

If so, it seems adding a snorkel would be pointless in relation to preventing water ingress, because it could just come in through the bottom of the air box.

Am I misunderstanding how this all works and fits together?

Cheers,
David.

taslucas
23rd October 2013, 10:44 PM
Are you able to post some pics mate? When they added lpg, it was common to fit a "false floor"(for lack of a better name) airbox. I think this may be what you're looking at and if so then yes you're correct, it will need changing.......

DRK
23rd October 2013, 10:56 PM
It was fitted in 1994, so was an early one.

So what you're saying is that the "floor" was the paper filter, and therefore:

1. At the moment, it is vulnerable to water ingress.

2. As a result of that design, it will need to be changed to make a snorkel effective (currently a snorkel would achieve nothing because the way it works.

I'll endeavour to get some pictures up. But the short point is that if I move my hands into its "arse" you can feel the paper filter. It doesn't look like it was cut and shut to be like this, the plastic box looks like it was manufactured this way...

Cheers!

taslucas
23rd October 2013, 11:09 PM
Some pics will definitely help as there are quite a few different setups when lpg is added.
In the meantime do a search for a thread called custom air boxes (or similar). Sorry I can't post a link atm.