PDA

View Full Version : Skytrek

wildgu6
17th January 2011, 07:21 PM
Willowsprings S.A (Flinders Ranges) Skytrek.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=2&sqi=2&ved=0CBgQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.skytrekwillowsprings.com.au%2 F&ei=3PMzTefrJYqMvQPfufnsCw&usg=AFQjCNHJkE1QeT7OwILsO53Hd7FbXFGwIw

AB
17th January 2011, 07:59 PM
I saw this place on one of Pat Callinans shows, looks like a great spot!

wildgu6
17th January 2011, 09:24 PM
Thanks Pete. We did Skytrek a couple of years ago and it sure was an excellent drive. But it's pricey too (I think $50/vehicle?) We found the Mt Gill track at Warraweena was equally impressive, was more difficult and way way cheaper ($8/vehicle or something like that). Hard on tyres though. Sharp rocks. Slashed the sidewall on one but didn't go down, probably just the rubber.

Hey Plas,
Yer it is a bit pricey buddy, Done it a few times now and the last time about 18 months ago it was $75 / vehicle.
But it's a great drive and would pay it again i reckon. Not something you do every day.
Might have to check out Warraweena though @ $8, thats awsome.

Cheers Pete

ova50
5th December 2011, 08:18 PM
Hey Plas,
Yer it is a bit pricey buddy, Done it a few times now and the last time about 18 months ago it was $75 / vehicle.
But it's a great drive and would pay it again i reckon. Not something you do every day.
Might have to check out Warraweena though @ $8, thats awsome.

Cheers Pete

We done Skytrek about 4 weeks back. Still $75 a vehicle.
Cheers Daryl

belzi82
5th December 2011, 08:40 PM
Both those places are now added to my must do list!! They look amazing!!

Woof
5th December 2011, 08:57 PM
Always wanted to do it but have not got there yet..

wildgu6
8th December 2011, 10:47 PM
Both those places are now added to my must do list!! They look amazing!!

Another good one Bel, Glass gorge at Blinman (Flinders Ranges SA), maps and keys from Alpanna station (Blinman) $55 i think it was, as good as Skytrek with no boring bits, but Skytrek has the better views.

wildgu6
8th December 2011, 10:50 PM
Always wanted to do it but have not got there yet..

If you do get there buddy, make sure you PM me when your going....

mudrick
14th January 2012, 06:39 PM
skytrek has changed slightly, bit of a write up on it on the web, something to do with land royalties and costs etc.look into it, as one of the steep sections is now bypassed.

wildgu6
16th January 2012, 11:13 PM
skytrek has changed slightly, bit of a write up on it on the web, something to do with land royalties and costs etc.look into it, as one of the steep sections is now bypassed.

Thanks buddy, might have to have a gander, the steep sections where the best part for wheelin,

TimE
16th January 2012, 11:18 PM
I've done it 3 times over the past 5 years and as a 4wd challenge it is OK if you are new to 4wding. However, for the money I would be disappointed if that was my main reason for doing it. The views and scenery are what does it for me, but at $70 per vehicle I don't think I'll be going back. First 2 trips were $45, and I split the last trip with a mate, $35.

wildgu6
17th January 2012, 06:08 PM
I've done it 3 times over the past 5 years and as a 4wd challenge it is OK if you are new to 4wding. However, for the money I would be disappointed if that was my main reason for doing it. The views and scenery are what does it for me, but at $70 per vehicle I don't think I'll be going back. First 2 trips were $45, and I split the last trip with a mate, $35.

Yer Tim X2 mate, my first time wheelin was skytrek and it was a buzzzz, and was as you said $45, been twice since, last trip was $75, getting a bit pricey but is still a great day out, theres a shooting range for the young fella while we have a few bevys i meen a bite to eat and plenty of top views and tracks. Would still do it again and recomend anyone who hasnt done it to do it.

Chaz
18th January 2012, 07:20 PM
It seems that the owners of Willow Springs aren’t going to renew their lease on The Bunkers Block, so Skytrek will most likely be re-directed away from the Loves Mine Range. I’m not sure when, but chances are that new operators will take on the Loves Mine Range track over Mt Caernarvon.

Chaz
8th September 2013, 09:42 AM
The when is now! The old track to Mt Caernarvon is now open again with a new section to complete a loop solely on the Bunkers Conservation Reserve. At this stage it's only open on long weekends and for booking of 10 or more vehicles, but that could change in the future. Cost is $60/vehicle.
www.caernarvontrack.com

Cuppa
8th September 2013, 02:06 PM
MrsTea & I did Skytrek a couple of years ago with friends in their motorhome.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2013/09/47.jpg

Cuppa

Stropp
8th September 2013, 04:44 PM
Back when I was younger we used to go all up through there and it was free, just tell the owners, same as wilpena pound, free to go but was relatively cheap to camp there.