PDA

View Full Version : Mickey T's ATZ2's, thoughts

BigRAWesty
22nd October 2013, 05:12 PM
Looking at a new set of wheel.
What are your thoughts on these.
Can't find to many out there, but they seem better than there older 5 rib version.

Hodge
22nd October 2013, 05:18 PM
ATZ 2'? Spelling error I'm assuming, I'm guessing they're either the 4 ribs or the STZ's you're talking about??
Can't comment on the STZ's but, 4 ribs are what I'm going with. Know a few people with them and they're pretty happy.

Winnie
22nd October 2013, 05:21 PM
What is an ATZ 2? Do you mean the 4 rib version? From what I've heard they are a great compromise tyre.

BigRAWesty
22nd October 2013, 06:47 PM
Yea a bit of miss Info there from the trye joint. They stated atz 2 but from reading I think they mean the 4 rib.

Others On the list to look into are the bfg at, maxxis at 980 and the general grabber at2.

Been quoted $1800 for 5x 33x12.5x15 GG AT2's fitted and balanced on New 15x8 rims.. Very good price.. Need to research..

Hodge
22nd October 2013, 08:02 PM
That is an awesome price. I'm embarrassed to mentioned the best price I found locally, even without the rims for a set of 4 ribs.

Edit: Just realized, you're talking about 15's.

BigRAWesty
22nd October 2013, 08:35 PM
Yea that's the general grabbers in a 33' on 15' rim..
Best price for the 4 rib is $2150 with 5 New 15x8 rims fitted and balanced. $335 a Tyre and $75 a rim. Just black sunnies.

BigRAWesty
22nd October 2013, 08:37 PM
The main tyre joint down here is getting back to me with a few more options tomorrow.
If I go a 33x12.5 it opens a whole lot more, I was hoping to stick to 33x10.5 and a 7" rim, but it looks ill have 2 sets.. Once roadies are gone I'll sell the 7's And just run the 33's.

Drewboyaus
22nd October 2013, 09:36 PM
Yea that's the general grabbers in a 33' on 15' rim..
Best price for the 4 rib is $2150 with 5 New 15x8 rims fitted and balanced. $335 a Tyre and $75 a rim. Just black sunnies.

I paid less for my BFG muddies.

If you move to 33's, consider a 10.5 inch tyre. Less rolling resistance will mean you lose less power turning the larger diameter wheels......doesn't sound much but it makes a difference especially if you're not running a turbo.

lhurley
22nd October 2013, 10:03 PM
ATZs are over rated. Not a bad tyre, but they are over priced, weak carcus, and nothing special.

I have/had a set of Micky t ATZ 4 rib in a 33 for the past year, I have had countless troubles with spinning the rim, dirt in the bead and punctures from things you would expect a good 4x4 tyre to be able to handle. Yes I know that tyre pressures play a big part in those issues, but it has happened on steel and alloy wheels, and across just about every pressure from 18-40 psi, on and off road. As well as me not thrashing or driving erratic.

What I have done since I am over my ATZs is, is go and buy a set of 305/70r16 bfg km2s for $300 each. Fingers crossed they arrive tomorrow.

I am by no mean bashing Micky Thomson. I have had a bad experience with one of the popular lines, all I am doing is sharing my experiences.

Clunk
22nd October 2013, 10:38 PM
ATZs are over rated. Not a bad tyre, but they are over priced, weak carcus, and nothing special.

I have/had a set of Micky t ATZ 4 rib in a 33 for the past year, I have had countless troubles with spinning the rim, dirt in the bead and punctures from things you would expect a good 4x4 tyre to be able to handle. Yes I know that tyre pressures play a big part in those issues, but it has happened on steel and alloy wheels, and across just about every pressure from 18-40 psi, on and off road. As well as me not thrashing or driving erratic.

What I have done since I am over my ATZs is, is go and buy a set of 305/70r16 bfg km2s for $300 each. Fingers crossed they arrive tomorrow.

I am by no mean bashing Micky Thomson. I have had a bad experience with one of the popular lines, all I am doing is sharing my experiences.

Flip the coin to the other side, then you have me....... No issues at all with the ATZs and definitely prefer them over the BFG ATs. Funny how it works hey, some makes suit some folk but not others

BigRAWesty
22nd October 2013, 11:49 PM
Heard some not so good things of late about the batches of km2's coming threw either.
I guess it's a personal pick in the end.
I've never had an issue with coopers... But hear them get bashed a lot..
Hear people rave about wranglers. I'll be lucky if my wranglers ht's see 30 thou.. Lol

I originally was going to go a desert dueler, but they only go up to 31"..
So is saying that the general grabber is a similar pattern.
Hmmmm. Decision decision..

BigRAWesty
22nd October 2013, 11:52 PM
I paid less for my BFG muddies.

If you move to 33's, consider a 10.5 inch tyre. Less rolling resistance will mean you lose less power turning the larger diameter wheels......doesn't sound much but it makes a difference especially if you're not running a turbo.

How do you find side wall roll on road threw cornering.
I was hoping to use a 33x10.5 And keep my 15x7 rims. But have been told not to by dealers due to a tall narrow tyre will roll more than a 12.5 on a 8" rim.
Whether Its trying on a sale, that's why I'm searching.. Lol

Drewboyaus
23rd October 2013, 06:31 AM
How do you find side wall roll on road threw cornering.
I was hoping to use a 33x10.5 And keep my 15x7 rims. But have been told not to by dealers due to a tall narrow tyre will roll more than a 12.5 on a 8" rim.
Whether Its trying on a sale, that's why I'm searching.. Lol

Mate, that is total BS. At 38-40 psi they're as good as gold. A mate if mine swapped his BFG AT's for KM2's on his Prado (that is also a daily) and reckons they handle better.
Ask some of the Vic lads, the way I dirt road rally between tracks in my GQ (4 wheel drift around corners) at 20psi I've not rolled one off the rim.
I say they stock 12.5's and are giving you bad advice so the don't have to order 10.5's....,,

Drewboyaus
23rd October 2013, 06:38 AM
BTW, I'm not necessarily saying KM2's are the answer either because their quality is a bit questionable at the moment. More that 10.5 is a better width for your vehicle ATM.
Perhaps for sand driving wider is better......dunno, I can't speak to that because we do bugger all sand driving here in Vic.

gaddy
23rd October 2013, 07:08 AM
I won't comment on brands but picture this , a tyre rep says to the tyre shop I got 50 of xyz tyre in this size to clear I.ll sell them to you for $50.00 less then usual cost . Our tyre shop drops the sell price $10 throws in a balance and alignment. they will push what ever the supplier is giving them .

Steve

Maxhead
23rd October 2013, 07:15 AM
BTW, I'm not necessarily saying KM2's are the answer either because their quality is a bit questionable at the moment. .

I've heard from the tyre joint that some dodgy shops are selling parallel or grey imports of the KM2 for a cheaper price. These are usually made in Asia somewhere where the proper KM2 will be made in US of A and will last twice as long as the Asian ones....Not sure how true it but it is feasible .

lhurley
23rd October 2013, 08:16 AM
I've heard from the tyre joint that some dodgy shops are selling parallel or grey imports of the KM2 for a cheaper price. These are usually made in Asia somewhere where the proper KM2 will be made in US of A and will last twice as long as the Asian ones....Not sure how true it but it is feasible .

The block I bought mine from said the same thing. Plus I had seen it online before too. I got the USA ones

BigRAWesty
23rd October 2013, 08:16 AM

I've heard similar, they are using Asian companies to top up world demand. But that's that, km2's are out of the price range..

Yea drew they will have to order the 10.5's in. It seems they don't hold much stock as he rang suppliers for all those prices..
I might try some other little towns and get prices..

gaddy
23rd October 2013, 08:31 AM
Another thing , I have about 6 tyre shops all within half a k . Got my prices went to the k mart auto . Turned out they could order any brand . Bar micky thompson And beat the others pricing . As they are part of coles ie west farmers their buying power is massive !

BigRAWesty
23rd October 2013, 08:33 AM
Another thing , I have about 6 tyre shops all within half a k . Got my prices went to the k mart auto . Turned out they could order any brand . Bar micky thompson And beat the others pricing . As they are part of coles ie west farmers their buying power is massive !

Yea I won't use them on principle..

Drewboyaus
23rd October 2013, 01:26 PM
I've heard similar, they are using Asian companies to top up world demand. But that's that, km2's are out of the price range..

I paid less than $300 per corner for my KM2's. That is less than the price you are being quoted for the General Grabbers.
There is also a US website that will ship tyres to Australia. Can't remember the name at the moment though. Great prices, Fedex'd to your door for significantly less than local prices.

threedogs
23rd October 2013, 02:44 PM
You must remember too these import tyres maybe left over from places like Canada or China where specs are for freezing temps not hot outback roads in OZ.
A 33x12.5 on a 15 x 8 rim will give you slight sidewall bulge put them on a 15x10 rim and the side wall will be straight, less chance of staking.
IMO I'd stay clear of the imports as safety has no price

Winnie
23rd October 2013, 02:51 PM
[QUOTE=threedogs;438905A 33x12.5 on a 15 x 8 rim will give you slight sidewall bulge put them on a 15x10 rim and the side wall will be straight, less chance of staking.[/QUOTE]

But you are going to roll off the bead a hell of a lot more.

BigRAWesty
23rd October 2013, 02:54 PM
But you are going to roll off the bead a hell of a lot more.

Which size Winnie? All I've ever run is 31" tyres so it's all a learning curve for me..

threedogs
23rd October 2013, 02:55 PM
@ Winnie most use a 15 x 8 rim a limited few opt for a 10" rim, all depends on what terrain you intend to travel. and how your Patrol is set up.
Cause as we know no 2 are set up the same,, similar but not the same

@ Kallen 31 x 10.5r would be fitted to 15x7 rim

Winnie
23rd October 2013, 03:31 PM
@ Winnie most use a 15 x 8 rim a limited few opt for a 10" rim, all depends on what terrain you intend to travel. and how your Patrol is set up.
Cause as we know no 2 are set up the same,, similar but not the same

@ Kallen 31 x 10.5r would be fitted to 15x7 rim

@threedogs It's pretty common knowledge that you are more likely to roll beads on 10" rims unless you have really wide tyres. Not saying it won't happen on 8" rims, just less common. A mate of mine has 33x12.5 tyres on 10" rims and rolls a bead every time we go out. They do look cool though.

threedogs
23rd October 2013, 03:50 PM
Sometimes when you are rolling tyres off rims its more your driving style, a mate of mine did it all the time and I don't recall pressures being that low.
But APITB re seating it in the field. Ive never rolled one off the rim and my mate was a gentle driver if that's the term. he likes the slow technical stuff
other than full noise approach. To this day we still couldn't figure out why out of 6 or so 4x4s he was only one rolling tyre off rims.
Front only,,, But he was running a 32 x 10.5 BFG Mud from memory

Agree on the 10' RIMS WITH THAT DEEP DISH LOOK

BigRAWesty
23rd October 2013, 03:57 PM
Yes currently have 31's On a 15x7 rim.
Was hoping to keep em and run a 33x10.5.
If I go a 33x12.5 then I'll be buying 15x8 rims.