PDA

View Full Version : Repairing Rust on your 4x4.

AB
26th June 2010, 07:58 PM
DIY - repairing rust on your 4x4.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/aCMeAze56AQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/aCMeAze56AQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

shoppenhauer
17th November 2010, 10:15 PM
how do you spray the car afterwards so that it looks good? I canīt get a good result!

mike
18th November 2010, 09:39 PM
Seems a bit simple for a proper job ok for a quick bog up tho'

shoppenhauer
18th November 2010, 09:52 PM
yeah thats exactly what i was thinking

judea05
20th February 2011, 11:50 PM
useful tip, does make it look easy tho, i find painting with a can hard if your doing a larger area the job looks striky

thebeatjackson
20th February 2012, 12:49 AM
cheers! I've got a bit of this to do soon!

Dapple
25th February 2012, 08:23 PM
Great video I hope there are more like this

tmijnhout
25th March 2012, 10:43 PM
This will definatley help me in the future. It's one thing I haven't really attempted yet.

bend089
24th May 2012, 05:48 PM
I am doing rust repair on my bonnet this weekend so this is a great video thanks for your help!

97_gq_lwb
24th May 2012, 06:11 PM
Heres a few tips i have used when blending in rub the area back around the repair using a 1000 -1500 grade paper wet and use a retarder thinners helps the blend in.
I always use a rust proofing behind the repair otherwise it will come back twice as bad.
Not a fan of bodgie bog jobs personally i would replace the rusted sections with new metal.
As for lines in the paint job usually i see that when not enough thinners is used i usually have a 70/30 mix with acrylic paint.
Or the job is in the sun and 2 hot.
But if it is acrylic a rub down with a fine grade paper using a block and soapy water afterwards to flatten out the surface then a polish usually brings out a nice finish.

kond
20th August 2012, 08:18 PM
Good idea mate cheers

DX grunt
20th August 2012, 09:47 PM
Repairing Rust on your 4x4.

Posted by the proud owner of a GQ. hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah

One less problem in a plastic fantastic. hahahahahahahahahahahahahahah

Clunk
20th August 2012, 10:36 PM
Repairing Rust on your 4x4.

Posted by the proud owner of a GQ. hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah

One less problem in a plastic fantastic. hahahahahahahahahahahahahahah

Yeah you just have to worry about UV attacking the plastic and also falling off at the sight of a little pebble on the road........ Now back to your Home and Away and stop hijacking people's threads lpl

xiyue077
18th October 2012, 12:00 PM
thanks mate. That's what I exactly need to do

The BigFella
18th October 2012, 01:41 PM
"rust repair got out of control" a few years back now we had a toymoto troopy with severe rust in the rear quarters.
I grabbed the troopy for couple of hours off the missus so I could "do s little rust repair" on my day off!
Three and half years later we got it back on the road fully rebuilt and I do mean fully rebuilt, bare metal respray, new rubbers, new glass, new floor mats, new rims, under-body detailed,
so be careful it isnt bigger then first anticipated!

The missus now cringes when ever I say "Ill just do a small repair Darling", honest!!!!!!!!

threedogs
18th October 2012, 02:41 PM
Big Fella this is really spooky now, are we related? cloned? one tonner, castiron, the t word bugger wasn't gunna mention it

The BigFella
18th October 2012, 07:19 PM
Big Fella this is really spooky now, are we related? cloned? one tonner, castiron, the t word bugger wasn't gunna mention it

stop it will ya, your starting to scare me TD,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Mine didnt wear a Chev badge although it was worked as much as an old 3F Toymoto can be worked!
Ran lpg, extractors, big bore exhaust, hot cam, 500cfm Holley, electronic dizzy, fold down rear bench seat (folded to make double bed)

We did 400,00 k's towing our Jet Sprint boat across this wide brown land in the late 80's early 90's.
Rode rough as guts though, 3inch lift mine spec springs,,,,,,,

Turbo
17th February 2013, 11:23 PM
i have a few spots to do on my old mav! very handy

Fleshling
28th March 2013, 11:07 PM
Very handy tip Ive got a bit of that to do this long weekend, Ive got to take out my 2 back windows and fix the seals and a few patches on the body was going to offer someone some cash to do it but that makes it look easy will have a crack at doing it my self since ive only got 7 days to get it done for the roadworthy :( and a few public holidays in a row

JUDGEY1
30th March 2013, 11:22 PM
Very handy mine is full of rust, need a few drain holes :)

Wine_maker
6th April 2013, 01:36 AM
Why they don't use rust repair?

mudski
8th April 2013, 08:27 PM
Whats that?
I have a few stone chip marks on the roof which has gone back to bare metal and is rusting. I wouldn't mind fixing them up before they get worse.

BigRAWesty
6th May 2013, 11:54 AM

yea ill be using rust converter to stop the rust..

Now on colours.. How do i find the codes for the paint shop to mix them..
GQ black over silver.. Is it just easier to take it to them to match?

leadsled
6th May 2013, 12:00 PM
i can see that repair is going to bite down the road

Jakob
27th June 2013, 05:06 AM
I'd rather weld instead of using glass fibre.. :)

jjgq89
5th August 2013, 09:56 PM
helpful as hell it is very true once you start how far do u go haha

mortn
6th August 2013, 06:52 PM
Cheers! Just the diy i needed!

kegatron
24th August 2013, 11:55 PM
I don't know anyone good with a spray can that can produce passable results....