PDA

View Full Version : Hf Radio install

First cheese
16th October 2013, 07:05 AM
Hi all

I recently picked up a brand new Codan hf radio with an auto tuning aerial for the right price. Was wanting to know are there any do's and don't for installing unit and aerial to the car?
I had plans to mount the aerial on my rear bar

Cheers

NP99
16th October 2013, 08:21 AM
You have the right idea there mate. I envy your purchase :)

threedogs
16th October 2013, 08:29 AM
Some ppl mount the antenna on a plate bolted to the centre of the spare wheel which is easy to remove if you get a flat.
Or if you have a Kaymar rear bar you can extend the pivot arms and mount antenna there, bulbar mounting will only get
you a ticket. Brackets are available in good 4x4 shops or make one yourself if handy with the tools

First cheese
16th October 2013, 08:46 AM
Cheers for that
I've got a Home made jobbie on the rear with a nice sturdy light bracket running up the rear of the spare tyre. I always intended on mounting the high lift jack on it but I think the aerial is a better option.
Do you know if there's an optimum height to have it mounted at, ideally i want it as low as possible (for the over grown tracks)

threedogs
16th October 2013, 10:55 AM
I don't believe height will matter that much , Think you need to protect it as best you can though
you can also pick up the bolt holes on rear wheel holder for the mounting bracket .

First cheese
17th October 2013, 04:04 AM
Good as cheers for that, it would be the easy way to mount it but I have already used that space on the wheel, so only leaves the inside

First cheese
17th October 2013, 04:29 AM
Also where's the best place to get your licence (in WA) and what channels are worth having?
I mainly have it for remote trips

threedogs
17th October 2013, 07:20 AM
No idea for over your way ,but maybe contact the 4x4 body or 4x4 club in your state for further info re licencing

GQ TANK
2nd November 2013, 10:51 PM
Make sure the top part of the auto tune is just above the roof line. This will ensure that the whip is fully above the roof of the truk.

Our installers make a bracket that sites behind the spare wheel carrier and comes out on the drivers side. (I think time plus in Brunswick) Melbourne make a similar mount.

We run a ground cable from a door bolt to the base of the autotune antenna.

Use heavy cable as the NGTS can draw up to 15 amps on tx.

Also when you are transmitting make sure NO one is within a meter of the antenna. We have had radhaz tests done and within 1 meter is the danger zone.

TPC
3rd November 2013, 11:07 AM
Have a look at this site for your channel and licence requirements.
http://www.vks737.on.net/

HF antennas rely on very good earthing so when you install it make sure you have it earthed properly with heavy braided earth cable going back to the chassis and clean the paint off where you are connecting it.

threedogs
3rd November 2013, 11:20 AM
With the rear wheel carrier off you can fit some flat plate on the door and follow contour till clear of the wheel as GQT states
if you cant fold or bend to shape you want use a 4" grinder and cut half way through bend and tack weld till shape is perfect.
Allow for when door is open, then weld up cut. Spray paint or powder coat, leaving some bare metal to earth on.

GQ TANK
7th November 2013, 11:06 PM
Our installers make a plate as per threedogs description.

We found that earthing to the door, did not provided a good enough earth.

We ground our HF antennas to one of the door hinge mounting bolt (body side), using a heavy braid.

outback
6th January 2014, 12:10 AM
bulbar mounting will only get you a ticket.

Is this a state thing or Australia wide?
Just ask as I have recently seen a few 4x4s with the HF aerial mounted on the bulbar, same place as most mount their UHF aerials. This is here in Adelaide.

oncedisturbed
6th January 2014, 11:06 AM
It is australia wide, basically only time it's permitted is if there is no other suitable mounting options

GQ TANK
7th January 2014, 11:45 PM
I thought the main reason why mounting a Codan Auto tune on the front of a truck is illegal, is due to the size of the autotune unit.

I have seen a bracket that bolted to a towbar

The other consideration is the HF getting into the vehicle eltronics.

Also ensure no one is within 1 meter of the antenna when you are transmitting - RADHAZ.

outback
9th January 2014, 01:08 AM
I thought I read somewhere that the latest Codan's latest whip auto tune, 3040 was legal in Australia for bull bar mounting.
I have not chased them up on this yet as I am still tossing between HF or satellite phone or running both.

I see benefits in having both but the combined cost is not enticing. Not to mention where in the heck do you place a HF unit in a GU IV. GQ fine but the GU is a pain even for UHF. Though got the UHF solved and glow plug timer location solved.

the evil twin
9th January 2014, 10:27 PM
Front mount autotuners are OK if there are no other "suitable" options AND the max dia of the unit is <75mm AND the mounting method passes the ADR pedestrian friendly test.

janderson
10th January 2014, 07:51 PM
Is this a state thing or Australia wide?
Just ask as I have recently seen a few 4x4s with the HF aerial mounted on the bulbar, same place as most mount their UHF aerials. This is here in Adelaide.

this is for Vic but prob for other states also