PDA

View Full Version : gu/gq cab rust

dads tractor
14th October 2013, 04:20 PM
Hi guys just a observation and little mod to help preserve your pride and joy. The rear vents on your cab are not you're friends , on the inside of the vent covers are light rubber strips to alleviate the wind pressure and aircon on the fresh setting and are designed to keep the dirt and dust out. Two problems 1 the slates in the covers face down and channels the sand and dust down to sit on the side sill seams and 2 the rubber is about as good as a torn condom and rolls up aiding the flow of sand bulldust etc.

The fix Sneak the good vac out from its hiding spot give it a good clean and maybe a clean with fresh water add you're preferred rust converter, then get some 2/3 mm rubber mine had 1 layer of reinforcing and trace out your vents face down and cut out (they are side and top to bottom specific)mark the holes line it up from the top start with 1st screw at top and work your way down and I just let it hang and keep going.

The result the air pressure and aircon work fine and the crud stays outside .

the difference is my patrol had bugger all crud (manly bulldust ) but has water tank and front tool box and comes from western qld the lads has 10 k and he was too lazy to make the front mud flaps and had 1" of sand in the sills but has seen the error of his ways ! Bloody heavy diesel fitters need a slap now and then I tell u pics http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=35737&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1382266429

First Patrol
14th October 2013, 05:43 PM
Nice will be checking mine now

Antpenny
19th May 2014, 07:56 AM
Must check that! Cheers.

madk1w1
20th May 2014, 08:57 AM
Must go and check mine again, like the mod.
the link to pics didn't work

dads tractor
2nd August 2014, 12:07 AM
47833 this is the mod again

alfonso
15th September 2014, 08:23 PM
when I had a rattle in my ute looked everywhere it turned out to be those cruddy flaps also noticed a bit of dust in sills cleaned them out and placed foam between rubber and vent also worked . It is a little pressureised though so might try your method

Cuppa
15th September 2014, 08:38 PM
I tried blocking mine off . I’ve found it has resulted in it being little more difficult to shut the doors unless the windows are opened slightly. I also get some ‘ear popping’ (like I get at altitude) when i turn on the air con.

alfonso
16th September 2014, 08:06 PM
me too cuppa but in my mind better that than all the dust and other crap in my sills as with you when driving I just open the window a touch to de pressurise at least I can clean the cab almost all my driving is on the dirt. My ute is my sanctuary when working bush ie Weipa lockhart river Aurukun so I keep it spotless inside .......... Also one river crossing and the dirt becomes mud or if coastal salty mud f that

Cuppa
16th September 2014, 08:54 PM
I just open the window a touch to de pressurise

Yeah I agree alfonso. I think I’ll re-do mine with some rubber strip like dads tractor, & maybe some sealant too. The foam I stuffed in there won’t stop water getting in.

dads tractor
16th September 2014, 09:03 PM
where are you going too put the sealant cuppa ? the idea is for the outside of the rubber to release the pressure from the inside hence only screwed down the centre line and any water dust crud will push back against the frame.

Cuppa
16th September 2014, 09:59 PM
where are you going too put the sealant cuppa ? the idea is for the outside of the rubber to release the pressure from the inside hence only screwed down the centre line and any water dust crud will push back against the frame.

Aha! I had misunderstood - actually to be more accurate - had misread what you wrote. I was thinking that the vents would be a perfect place to allow water in during river crossings, hence my thoughts of sealant, but having re-read your post, now understand sealant to be unnecessary . So you leave the louvres off all together? Have you tested it in vent deep water yet?

dads tractor
17th September 2014, 08:54 AM
No all I've done cuppa is cleaned everything inside then traced around the outside of the plastic vent and used the original screws to hold the rubber strip to the outside face .All the original bits are still insitu.

No I haven't tried it in deep water yet and probably wont as that is .7m deep water to the base of the vent so water will find its way in elsewhere I'm thinking .(read chicken shit )

(AUST)Mod
2nd December 2014, 05:06 PM
Hmmm I should get onto this. Only problem is that I won't be able to remove the plastic vent without lifting my canopy off. Might be time to revert to the steel tray for a bit.

dads tractor
12th January 2015, 12:10 PM
Found new rust haven in GU .The front chassis cross member (supports the radiator , inner guards ) Go to the front of vehicle RHS and look at the taper from the vertical radiator support to the outside of the cross member and see if there are rust holes in there. We looked at 3 gu cabs and all had varying degrees of rust but the LHS were all ok. As luck would have it we were able too cut the front out as the top and bottom were clean and sand blast, wire brush clean, rust convertor then a plate welded over and paint all should be good.

threedogs
12th January 2015, 12:35 PM
Reece plumbing sell sheet rubber called insertion rubber only 2-3mm thick, its used for making Flange gaskets ,
but sounds perfect for this job. Not expensive as well which is always good
Its made from 4 layers with cloth to bond it together so very tough