PDA

View Full Version : Coffee on the run

threedogs
13th October 2013, 02:58 PM
Hi all been using these a while now, not sure if available Aust wide.
They come in different flavours latte, cupachino, Mushroom soup and hot chocolate.
All you do is press the bottom shake for 20 seconds then let stand for a minute or to and you have a nice hot drink.
Great if you don't have stove or wood is wet, @ only $2.50 a can I'll be throwing a few in my tucker box. I brought this from the reject shop. but check HOT CAN on line for nearest stockist, seems to be Vic regional , Handy for a quick coffee hit,

BigRAWesty
13th October 2013, 03:45 PM
And quite nice hay.. Seen them in target to..

janderson
13th October 2013, 06:06 PM
will have to look out for these

NP99
13th October 2013, 11:18 PM
Where are they imported from John?

BigRAWesty
14th October 2013, 01:29 AM
They do all sorts to. Even hot chocolate..

janderson
14th October 2013, 02:10 PM
found this
http://www.hot-can.com.au/products

threedogs
14th October 2013, 03:44 PM
Has Malaysia on the can.
@ Janderson they are available from the independent servo on the South side of shep, United I think

janderson
14th October 2013, 03:52 PM
Has Malaysia on the can.
@ Janderson they are available from the independent servo on the South side of shep, United I think

Thanks for that. Next time in town I'll check them out

MudRunnerTD
14th October 2013, 04:10 PM
Or you could just do a Mego Special

2kva Hona genset powering an Aldi Expresso machine getting a workout at Knockwood! There was a que!

Sent from my iPhone using Motorculture mobile app

Drewboyaus
14th October 2013, 10:53 PM
Or you could just do a Mego Special

2kva Hona genset powering an Aldi Expresso machine getting a workout at Knockwood! There was a que!

Sent from my iPhone using Motorculture mobile app

Man, that setup was outrageous.
You've gotta love your coffee to be hauling around a genie to brew it!
I use a stove top percolator in the bush and it works a treat.

megatexture
14th October 2013, 11:12 PM
You can get the cans in brisbane servos and I don't Mind them

.Well looks like you were right about overpacking mego lol.

threedogs
15th October 2013, 08:52 AM
@ Drewboy don't mind a short black every now and then out bush.
I made a trivet from Stainless to heat coffee maker on one of those gasmate stoves
The point being these cans are perfect for roadside stops, or is no stove or wood available.

Drew
15th October 2013, 06:17 PM
Man, that setup was outrageous.
You've gotta love your coffee to be hauling around a genie to brew it!
I use a stove top percolator in the bush and it works a treat.

Nothing wrong with that lol I have a hand held expresso thingy, no need for a jenny .

@TD watch out the last time I asked for a short black I was politely told we don't call them that, they are cafe noir :(

Hands up who thought WTF ??? I did :(

Stropp
15th October 2013, 07:13 PM
im looking at a 3000w inverter to run my pod cappuccino machine so no genny.

Winnie
15th October 2013, 07:16 PM
Really? I know some people can't drink instant coffee and that's fine but I would do what Darren does. Grind your beans (with your cordless drill haha) and then I dunno what he does after that but it looks easy and makes a great coffee

taslucas
15th October 2013, 08:18 PM
or bring a Dare lol

MudRunnerTD
15th October 2013, 08:29 PM
Really? I know some people can't drink instant coffee and that's fine but I would do what Darren does. Grind your beans (with your cordless drill haha) and then I dunno what he does after that but it looks easy and makes a great coffee

I have a Mypressi

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2013/10/1.png?174

http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0169/4022/products/mypressi_TWIST_bottomless_portafilter_small.png?17 4

http://mypressi.com/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=kg-czUhehk8

and this hand grinder for the coffee beans that Lucas smartly pointed out would work using my 18v drill!! Yes it Does!

http://doxz7msmg7sxx.cloudfront.net/media/catalog/product/cache/7/image/592x333/c2f10b1d8f5a5ddacfb442b817d0e244/c/m/cm-45cf_1.jpg

kyocera-ceramic-upright-coffee-mill (http://www.harveynorman.com.au/kyocera-ceramic-upright-coffee-mill.html?CAWELAID=720013240000023963&gclid=CJng6Ju8mLoCFYtgpQodrRMAbA)

Very happy with the Coffee ;)

BigRAWesty
15th October 2013, 08:50 PM
So Mr.. What sorta cash do you pay for the gas refills??

Cuppa
15th October 2013, 10:04 PM
This is my setup in the Patrol. A porlex grinder stored inside an Aeropress.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2013/10/73.jpg

And in the bus an old Zassenhauss grinder plus stove top mokka pot similar to these.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2013/10/74.jpg
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2013/10/75.jpg

I am a bit envious of your Mypressi though. How much for the gas refills, & how many cups per refill?

MudRunnerTD
15th October 2013, 10:28 PM
So Mr.. What sorta cash do you pay for the gas refills??

About 60c each and each one will do 3 to 4 coffees.

I need to buy some more!!

P4trol
15th October 2013, 10:32 PM
Aeropress isn't bad - it has lightweight and compact on its side.

I use this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLSQtKTYp5s&feature=youtube_gdata_player

BigRAWesty
15th October 2013, 11:37 PM
About 60c each and each one will do 3 to 4 coffees.

I need to buy some more!!

Ow really. That's not bad at all.. Any idea what's in them? Would have to be pure oxygen or nitrogen.
That's really surprising. Was thinking maybe $2 each..

MudRunnerTD
16th October 2013, 01:19 AM
Ow really. That's not bad at all.. Any idea what's in them? Would have to be pure oxygen or nitrogen.
That's really surprising. Was thinking maybe $2 each..

N2O Nitros Oxide

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/251314639261?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

BigRAWesty
16th October 2013, 02:10 AM
Nice. Thanks

BigRAWesty
16th October 2013, 02:16 AM
Well I just jumped on eBay after seeing the mypressi site lists them at $120 ish and I though that's nearly worth it..
Jumped on eBay and there $250...
I like a good coffee, but that's a lot of quality instant...

megatexture
16th October 2013, 02:36 AM
Thats odd must be due to exchange rate? ill stick with instant also lol looks good though!

BigRAWesty
16th October 2013, 02:39 AM
Does look good..

MudRunnerTD
16th October 2013, 07:49 AM
I got it for Fathers day last year. She loves me ;)

Cuppa
16th October 2013, 02:29 PM
, but that's a lot of quality instant...

Harumph! .... No such thing my dear chap. ;)

P4trol
16th October 2013, 02:33 PM
Oxymoron?

Can't believe you sell such quality products Westy, on instant coffee. Imagine what you could do with espresso?!

taslucas
16th October 2013, 03:45 PM
N2O Nitros Oxide

Hahaha! No wonder it makes you happy!! Lol

BigRAWesty
16th October 2013, 05:11 PM
Oxymoron?

Can't believe you sell such quality products Westy, on instant coffee. Imagine what you could do with espresso?!

I make quality products.. Selling them.. Well...
But yes, still getting there so someday I'll be able to afford one. :D

BigRAWesty
20th November 2013, 10:54 PM
Ok. So our machine has shat itself. Yay..
Cheap ads bloody thing. Did well for 12 months.
Anywho..
I've got the mypressi on the table. And she likes it... :D:thumbup::D:thumbup::cool::thumbup:

But the wife has also found the handpresso.. I'd throw up a link but the net is playing games.
Basically Its the same concept as the mypressi but instead of the gas canisters Its a bike pump with the head on it..

I'm torn. I think the mypressi will last longer due to less moving parts and seals, but the handpresso is totally independent.. You just need.. It..

Has anyone seen the handpresso?? Or used one??

BigRAWesty
20th November 2013, 10:56 PM
A demo vid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPtahIVKf9g&feature=youtube_gdata_player

megatexture
20th November 2013, 11:07 PM
I'm all for the handpresso that looks simple and no refills! Its a winner ... How much

MudRunnerTD
21st November 2013, 01:09 AM
The only downside of the Mypressi is the canisters. If i travel on a Plane i cant take canisters! cant put them on carry on, cant check them in baggage. Damn those canisters.

For that reason alone id use an alternative product.

MudRunnerTD
21st November 2013, 01:14 AM
A demo vid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPtahIVKf9g&feature=youtube_gdata_player

I have the Mypressi and i have just watched that vid. Its a winner mate go the Handpressi for sure.

BigRAWesty
21st November 2013, 05:54 AM
I'm all for the handpresso that looks simple and no refills! Its a winner ... How much

Wife has found it for around the $130+ postage so a bit cheaper than the mypressi.

I have the Mypressi and i have just watched that vid. Its a winner mate go the Handpressi for sure.

I very much doubt we'd take this in the air so that's not so much of an issue..
I'm just thinking about wear and tear of the pump?? How long those seals will last to get that sorta pressure each time??
The mypressi is a simple pull the trigger and Its done..

But is $200 + postage..

P4trol
23rd November 2013, 03:13 PM
But what price for a good coffee where there is no/poor coffee? ?!

Cuppa
23rd November 2013, 07:58 PM
http://www.choice.com.au/reviews-and-tests/household/kitchen/coffee-machines/handpresso%20quick%20review.aspx

megatexture
23rd November 2013, 08:56 PM
I love a good coffee but not enough to spend that much! 130 is still a lot.

Drewboyaus
23rd November 2013, 09:28 PM
I have a stove top percolator that makes great coffee. Cost me 40 bucks from a homeware store.....

Winnie
23rd November 2013, 10:26 PM
I have a stove top percolator that makes great coffee. Cost me 40 bucks from a homeware store.....

It is indeed a great coffee!

megatexture
24th November 2013, 08:27 AM
Is that the cast alloy one that makes 1 cup or the larger stainless steel one ?

BigRAWesty
24th November 2013, 11:38 AM

But comparably to a house hold one. Ours has shat itself so whatever we choose will be used daily.

Cuppa
24th November 2013, 11:58 AM

If I thought it would suit me I’d happily ask Santa for one (& I know he’d get it for me), but that Choice review wasn’t that great, the youtube video I watched showed a pretty weak looking stream coming out of it, but the clincher for me was the tiny amount of coffee it takes & the half a small cup of coffee it produces. I’d want 3 or 4 of those shots each time which would translate to far too much stuffing around.

The Mypressi appears to make slightly larger quantities each shot. Can anyone confirm.

Drewboyaus
24th November 2013, 12:01 PM
Is that the cast alloy one that makes 1 cup or the larger stainless steel one ?

Yeah, it's the stainless type. I have a small cast one that makes single cups too but the stainless one makes about 4 or 5 long blacks.

dannypatrol
24th November 2013, 12:11 PM
im looking at a 3000w inverter to run my pod cappuccino machine so no genny.

was thinking the same with a nespresso pixie machine. Very compact and fast. Isnt a 1500W inverter enough though?

Drewboyaus
24th November 2013, 12:24 PM
was thinking the same with a nespresso pixie machine. Very compact and fast. Isnt a 1500W inverter enough though?

Why would you want to spend that kind of money and effort to make coffee when there are so many cheaper and easier ways?
I love my coffee but when camping I'd rather keep things simple to enjoy the bush rather than haul a flippin' espresso machine around.
Personally, I think my percolator smells awesome when it's brewing away first thing in the morning by the side of a track somewhere.

Cuppa
24th November 2013, 12:24 PM

Check out this thread ("http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?19186-Inverters”) from post 12 onward.

dannypatrol
24th November 2013, 12:39 PM
Why would you want to spend that kind of money and effort to make coffee when there are so many cheaper and easier ways?
I love my coffee but when camping I'd rather keep things simple to enjoy the bush rather than haul a flippin' espresso machine around.
Personally, I think my percolator smells awesome when it's brewing away first thing in the morning by the side of a track somewhere.

I know what you mean, I have a percolator as well. Reason for me to bring a nespresso machine as well is because it is a very light and compact one, easy for those moments you dont want to get out the gas stove etc. In addition, I have a spare small nespresso machine which isnt used. But yes, nothing beats a percolator.

edit: oke maybe not as easy as I figured after reading the other tread :p

Cuppa
24th November 2013, 01:02 PM
I guess there are many ways in which people enjoy their coffee, (strewth some even like milk in it!). Problem is that I reckon nothing really compares with a good espresso for flavour and texture.
Many good ways to get the flavour alone, but only espresso gets the texture. I find it amazing that with such a widely loved drink that the portable options for producing an espresso are really so limited.
If someone could invent a reasonably priced & effective portable espresso machine it’d make them a fortune. I struggle to understand why it should be so elusive.

The Handpressi is a great idea, & with a larger coffee & water capacity, better insulation & a larger compressed air reservoir could be a winner............... hmmm but then it may be a bit too big for a portable ............. oh well back to the drawing board.

I guess I’ll have to be satisfied with good taste without texture for the foreseeable future..... unless anyone knows of any as yet unmentioned options suitable for the camper?

Cuppa (strong, black & two thanks)

TPC
24th November 2013, 01:24 PM
I am a black coffee drinker too and have always been on the lookout for something suitable for camping, (cannot drink instant) currently using a plunger and courser ground beans.
Slightly off topic but always get amazed at how often I ask for a black coffee in a shop and they ask me if I want milk with it, I must be fussy but I prefer my black coffee without milk.

Winnie
24th November 2013, 01:43 PM
Drew have you got a link to yours?

Cuppa
24th November 2013, 01:45 PM
(cannot drink instant) currently using a plunger and courser ground beans.

(will not drink instant) If you find a plunger ok, you should try the aeropress, I reckon you might like it. Can use a finer grind & as strong as you like without bitterness. A lot more durable for camping too.

What we really need is an enterprising & technically accomplished 4wd’er to come up with the ultimate off road espresso solution. Most have an onboard compressor. Just need a suitably insulated & large enough coffee holder thingy to attach it to! :)

Drewboyaus
24th November 2013, 02:40 PM
Drew have you got a link to yours?

This isn't exactly the same as mine (I bought mine from a homewares shop at a shopping mall).
But this is very similar:
http://bit.ly/17G6Dwi

TPC
24th November 2013, 04:48 PM
(will not drink instant) If you find a plunger ok, you should try the aeropress, I reckon you might like it. Can use a finer grind & as strong as you like without bitterness. A lot more durable for camping too.

What we really need is an enterprising & technically accomplished 4wd’er to come up with the ultimate off road espresso solution. Most have an onboard compressor. Just need a suitably insulated & large enough coffee holder thingy to attach it to! :)

Is that the technical term for it, "coffee holder thingy"?

Cuppa
24th November 2013, 04:55 PM
Is that the technical term for it, "coffee holder thingy"?

In a fixed machine the thingy the coffee is put into is called a ‘portafilter’. Above that is the ’showerhead’ or shower screen’. Together they form the ‘Group head’
What it’s all called in a portable set up is ................................ a coffee holder thingy :) ............ unless anyone has anything more definitive. ;)

Anyway, how about the idea of somehow using compressed air from our onboard compressors......... maybe in conjunction with a Handpressi???

TPC
24th November 2013, 05:08 PM
In a fixed machine the thingy the coffee is put into is called a ‘portafilter’. Above that is the ’showerhead’ or shower screen’. Together they form the ‘Group head’
What it’s all called in a portable set up is ................................ a coffee holder thingy :) ............ unless anyone has anything more definitive. ;)

Anyway, how about the idea of somehow using compressed air from our onboard compressors......... maybe in conjunction with a Handpressi???

Needs someone with time on their hand to develop it, someone that does not work.
When someone makes them I will buy it.

BigRAWesty
25th November 2013, 02:13 AM
If I thought it would suit me I’d happily ask Santa for one (& I know he’d get it for me), but that Choice review wasn’t that great, the youtube video I watched showed a pretty weak looking stream coming out of it, but the clincher for me was the tiny amount of coffee it takes & the half a small cup of coffee it produces. I’d want 3 or 4 of those shots each time which would translate to far too much stuffing around.

The Mypressi appears to make slightly larger quantities each shot. Can anyone confirm.

An informal test of the 2..
Pretty much sums up what you surveyed from the vids..

http://coffeegeek.com/forums/espresso/machines/457127

It seems the handpreso is a more popular unit than the mypressi, but the mypressi seems to be the overall winner with the shot content.

Neither seem to make huge shots, so all in all cuppa, I think I'll seriously consider a percolater... Lol

Now a mill.. :rolleyes:

MudRunnerTD
25th November 2013, 11:06 AM
Ahhhh now you see you cant be a purest and still want a Big shot of Coffee. A purest would know that a Shot of coffee is 30mls. no more, no less. If you want a long black then you put in the hot water first to your cup then pull a 30ml shot on top of that water. a Double shot is 2 30ml shots NOT 1 60ml shot. Every drop past the first 30mls you pull through your group head is Dregs. Laundry water for your group head. Cleaning fluid your pouring into your cup.

The Mypressi pulls 30mls and thats all. When preparing the mypressis you should fill it with boiling water to preheat it, when you have the shot ready then empty the water and place fresh hot water in the mypressis and the shot then pull the shot over the cup. Measured amount.

If you are buying a Long Black from a Cafe and they are pulling the entire long black through the group head in front of you refuse to pay, that is a disgrace. No Wonder its Flat. Send it back and recommend they do a Course!

Double Shot Long Black, No sugar. Gotta love it. No hiding junk coffee in that!

taslucas
25th November 2013, 12:42 PM
How's the Makita powered coffee grinder going daz?

BigRAWesty
25th November 2013, 01:14 PM
Ahhhh now you see you cant be a purest and still want a Big shot of Coffee. A purest would know that a Shot of coffee is 30mls. no more, no less. If you want a long black then you put in the hot water first to your cup then pull a 30ml shot on top of that water. a Double shot is 2 30ml shots NOT 1 60ml shot. Every drop past the first 30mls you pull through your group head is Dregs. Laundry water for your group head. Cleaning fluid your pouring into your cup.

The Mypressi pulls 30mls and thats all. When preparing the mypressis you should fill it with boiling water to preheat it, when you have the shot ready then empty the water and place fresh hot water in the mypressis and the shot then pull the shot over the cup. Measured amount.

If you are buying a Long Black from a Cafe and they are pulling the entire long black through the group head in front of you refuse to pay, that is a disgrace. No Wonder its Flat. Send it back and recommend they do a Course!

Couldn't agree more. BUT, I honestly don't think I could be farked doing 2 pulls per cup. I'm camping..

MudRunnerTD
25th November 2013, 01:21 PM
How's the Makita powered coffee grinder going daz?

Mate! Its the Bomb! I love it when your camping and everything has more than 1 use! My Makita 18v Rattle gun is a great Screw gun and also grinds my Coffee! Hell Yeah it does!

Cuppa
25th November 2013, 02:25 PM

Double shot long black with sugar & I’m happy when buying coffee out.
However I’m clearly not a purist ‘cos the best (to my taste) coffee are the espresso’s I drink at home from my Baby Gaggia. Same brand of beans I’ve used for years (Vittoria Espresso - Gold & brown kilo packs, buy’em on special at half price & keep’em in the freezer). Grind just before use in Gaggia MDF burr grinder. Double shot basket -> twin outlet portafilter -> all into a single bone china tea cup almost full after about 20 to 25 seconds. Nice crema on top, very black, very strong & sweet. Yum!

BigRAWesty
25th November 2013, 04:57 PM
Mate! Its the Bomb! I love it when your camping and everything has more than 1 use! My Makita 18v Rattle gun is a great Screw gun and also grinds my Coffee! Hell Yeah it does!

Sounds like bloody tim "the tool Man" Taylor.. Ough ough ough..