PDA

View Full Version : Where to crimp in Melbourne

Flo-w
12th October 2013, 11:35 AM
I'll need a few cables crimped for a dual battery setup. I'm wondering where I could do that in Melbourne. To my surprise Jaycar doesn't offer that service (I would have payed for it). I just don't want to buy a big crimping tool for just a few connections. I'm talking 4GA so a small hand crimper won't do and I've heard bad things about the pliers & hammer method...

Any ideas?

threedogs
12th October 2013, 11:45 AM
Any good 4x4 shop should be able to crimp your cables for a modest fee,
Can't centre pop and solder?? What side of Melb??

NP99
12th October 2013, 12:24 PM
What about a local auto sparkie?

macca
12th October 2013, 01:54 PM
Your local electrician may have the crimper you want. I've go 8 from 0.5mm to 120mm but those are cross sectional area, one of them would do what you want. So give your sparky a call.

threedogs
12th October 2013, 01:55 PM
To solder the thicker cables just use a small butane flame , take your time and feed solder into it.
Don't get it too hot, Drill a hole in a piece of timber to hold the lug to be soldered

Cuppa
12th October 2013, 04:17 PM
One of these (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Hydraulic-Crimper-Kit-Cable-Crimping-Tool-/331042461303?pt=AU_B_I_Electrical_Test_Equipment&hash=item4d13ab1677&_uhb=1) will set you back less than it will probably cost to go to a sparkie & gives you the convenience of not having to stuff around working out the exact length of cable ahead of time. You might find it surprising how many times you use it once the current job is completed.

Cuppa

Flo-w
12th October 2013, 09:42 PM
That's precisely the tool I had. I sold it when I was done with my last truck.

threedogs
13th October 2013, 09:29 AM
@ Flow never ever sell tools, cause the day you sell it will be the day you need it

Flo-w
13th October 2013, 03:55 PM
Easily said when you have a home and a shed threedogs. But if your home is your 4WD for a few month then every item needs to pull its own weight so to speak.

janderson
13th October 2013, 06:11 PM
just use a some flat steel hit with hammer along the middle then use a vice to finish of

macca
14th October 2013, 04:29 PM
Or do it properly and use one of these, no hammers used here mate LOL

A guy made a cracker one out of a nut splitter, not what I would use as I have crimpers, but worked for him. Silent s3 I think his name is, I will try and find the thread.

Here it is, ignore all the crud that filled the thread. The concept is good and he is happy with the job done and for not too many $.
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?21383-5-Battery-Terminal-Crimper-with-professional-results.

Flo-w
16th October 2013, 11:59 AM
Auto Electrician is the winner.
Thanks for all the suggestions guys!