PDA

View Full Version : MQ 1987 Nissan Oil Cooler or not

Fruitloop
11th October 2013, 10:44 AM
Hi all
Sorry for questions so early in the piece and I hope I am in the right section (pls point me in the right direction if not)
Can anyone tell me if a 1987 Nissan Patrol - MQ - SD330 Turbo has an oil cooler ??
(I think that's what he needs to know)

Cheers and thanks
Jenn

BigRAWesty
11th October 2013, 10:58 AM
I wouldn't think so as it should use oil from the engine.
Is it a manual or auto?

Fruitloop
11th October 2013, 11:03 AM
Manual ....... I think I have blown it up :( Found water in the Sump and oil in the Radiator ... thinking head gasket

Fruitloop
11th October 2013, 11:05 AM
A few people have told us to check for an oil Cooler and to check the welsh plugs before doing anything else

my third 256
11th October 2013, 11:15 AM
some had oil coolers incorperated in the radiator

Fruitloop
11th October 2013, 11:24 AM
Thanks 'my third 256' ... How would we know if there is one in the radiator ... would there be pipes to look for ?? Sorry for sounding so Blonde .. but if the cap fits :(

Fruitloop
11th October 2013, 03:56 PM
Well, I can happily say that after spending hours on here today, after much reading, scrolling & taking notes we have finally worked out the Patrol does in fact have an oil cooler. Unfortunately the O rings where shot to pieces. Hopefully .... Hopefully, this means its not the head gasket after all. And it also means, I didn't blow up the motor ... it was well on its way before I took the beast out camping :)

the ferret
11th October 2013, 04:51 PM
All SD33s have an oil cooler, next to oil filter at rear of block.
These are known to fail and let water into oil, and oil into water.
The alloy casting corrodes, o rings can fail, cooler can crack.
Cheers, the ferret.

Fruitloop
11th October 2013, 05:14 PM
Thanks Ferret .... yea, we kinda found all that out today .. :(

the ferret
11th October 2013, 05:18 PM
Thanks Ferret .... yea, we kinda found all that out today .. :(

Think I musta popped that post in while you were typing yours lol.
Cheers, the ferret.

BigRAWesty
11th October 2013, 08:05 PM
Good out come.. Easy fix and a diy fix I reckon.

Fruitloop
12th October 2013, 04:15 PM
I hope so Westy's

Fruitloop
14th October 2013, 09:26 PM
Sounds like a welsh plug has worked its way out also ??? Still on track tho ... I think .. So far everything we have been told to look for has been .... Um .... Stuffed .... Thinking he shld be checking out the head gasket as well ... It's the only thing he doesn't want to do ....hmmmmmm

Fruitloop
14th October 2013, 09:29 PM
Sorry if I sound nieve ... Most of these words sound like swear words to me ... Or they do when I hear him out in the shed working on it 8-/