PDA

View Full Version : gu manual owners out there

big_fletch
15th January 2011, 09:49 AM
Howdy guys,
I was wondering if any1 out there has a gu, preferably a 3.0 who has put a solid flywheel in as opposed to a dual mass? Any one have an opinion on this? As mine needs doing lol..
I was wondering if any in vic has one preferably near gv or Melbourne as I would like to take one for a drive and feel the difference with a solid in it.. even as a passenger.. probably abit much to ask but worth a shot Haha..

Any help would be great guys.
Fletcha

Woof
15th January 2011, 05:01 PM
Hi Fletcha, when I did my clutch and flywheel in the old GU I did a bit of research on this and decided to go with the Dual Mass again as I was not willing to risk going with the Solid one.
Some people swear by them and others have suffered vibrations, sorry I cannot answer your question mate just letting you know what I did.

the evil twin
15th January 2011, 05:59 PM
Hi Fletcha, when I did my clutch and flywheel in the old GU I did a bit of research on this and decided to go with the Dual Mass again as I was not willing to risk going with the Solid one.
Some people swear by them and others have suffered vibrations, sorry I cannot answer your question mate just letting you know what I did.

Being the current owner of a vehicle that had that exact thing done by the previous owner I can only say I am glad he did that because I HATE unecessary vibrations. IMHO any untoward engine vibration MUST contribute to reduced life and fatigue of other components apart from just being a P.I.T.A.

I can see the counter argument for solid flywheels but unless I was say 50% or more in the outback and "giving it" to the truck it just isn't for me.

I like the idea of asking if someone will meet up for a test run tho... hope someone manages to link up with you for taht purpose and be interesting to hear what you think.

big_fletch
15th January 2011, 08:30 PM

Thats ok Dogman, Thanks for your input mate :smiley_thumbs_up: Duel Mass sounds like its more what i will be wanting

big_fletch
15th January 2011, 08:35 PM
Being the current owner of a vehicle that had that exact thing done by the previous owner I can only say I am glad he did that because I HATE unecessary vibrations. IMHO any untoward engine vibration MUST contribute to reduced life and fatigue of other components apart from just being a P.I.T.A.

I can see the counter argument for solid flywheels but unless I was say 50% or more in the outback and "giving it" to the truck it just isn't for me.

I like the idea of asking if someone will meet up for a test run tho... hope someone manages to link up with you for taht purpose and be interesting to hear what you think.

Yer it would be interesting to compare the two together, i was told that the more worn out your gearbox it that the worse the harmonics/engine noise would be.. I am setting it up to go outback and remote areas but i wouldnt say 50% of the time (not Yet anyways haha).. Swaying towards the Duel Mass atm..
Thanks for your input mate, good to hear some different opinions :thumbup:

Simon
17th January 2011, 09:58 AM
I recently converted a 2.0 litre audi engine from dual mass to solid flywheel which i machined myself and it worked a treat. No real difference. Sometimes at low speed it is less forgiving, say in a car park in first gear. But really you can't notice the difference!

TonkaTuff
17th January 2011, 01:10 PM
My name is fletcher. ha.

big_fletch
17th January 2011, 03:28 PM
My name is fletcher. ha.

Haha mad stuff, tis a good name