PDA

View Full Version : Episode of "Of I shouldn't be alive."

mudnut
9th October 2013, 02:26 PM
I saw the show, last night. A bloke took his daughter for a one night camping/fishing trip near Kalgoorlie. He got lost on the second day when he looked for another lake. He had three spares, food and plenty of water. He used all the spares, and most of the water when the vehicle overheated from running flat rear tyres. Then the car caught fire, and he got as much gear out as he could. They abandoned the vehicle and walked to a hill with a small tower on it, but got no telephone signal. A search helicopter flew nearby, but didn't see them. He lit a fire, but the wind changed and burnt most of their gear. They finally found a track, but had been in the desert for 8 days. A bloke in a cruiser found them, just in time. Has anyone got any thoughts on what he did wrong, and what he could have done to help their chances to survive?

Bob
9th October 2013, 02:28 PM
I saw the show, last night. A bloke took his daughter for a one night camping/fishing trip near Kalgoorlie. He got lost on the second day when he looked for another lake. He had three spares, food and plenty of water. He used all the spares, and most of the water when the vehicle overheated from running flat rear tyres. Then the car caught fire, and he got as much gear out as he could. They abandoned the vehicle and walked to a hill with a small tower on it, but got no telephone signal. A search helicopter flew nearby, but didn't see them. He lit a fire, but the wind changed and burnt most of their gear. They finally found a track, but had been in the desert for 8 days. A bloke in a cruiser found them, just in time. Has anyone got any thoughts on what he did wrong, and what he could have done to help their chances to survive?

It would seem that he should not have left Home LOL

mudnut
9th October 2013, 02:42 PM
They still go on trips together, but the daughter wont let him stray off the main tracks.

macca
9th October 2013, 02:46 PM
Yep, Take an EPIRB or a Sat Phone. Or both.

93patrol
9th October 2013, 04:04 PM
should have had a mirror or signalling type device to get the chopper attention and stayed on the main tracks even if it means more km.

i would have burnt my car down(lol) that would get their attention different colour smoke than bushfire or at least the oil from the motor

mudnut
9th October 2013, 05:25 PM
His car burnt before there was a search. The mirror idea is a good one. They didn't say or not, if there was one left on the wreck. As for the epirb and sat phone, he really should have had them. Keep the ideas coming, blokes. I thought of leaving an arrow in the direction they had gone, and message with the date on it, near/on the burnt out wreck.

Winnie
9th October 2013, 05:26 PM
I really think Mother Nature wanted him dead that day...

Steve4wdin
9th October 2013, 05:31 PM
I would have thought, stay at the vehicle. Burnt or not the wreckage would surely have brought some attention. Also possible a bit of shelter until rescue.
Am I right? Am I right? ha well? am I?

mudnut
9th October 2013, 05:39 PM
He knew that golden rule, but they had driven way out of the area that they said they would have been, and off any formed tracks. (Which is a no-no anyway) They walked, (in the hot sun) to a high point where he hoped to get a phone signal. They needed to find a track. In those parts, there might not be traffic for days or weeks though. It was a tough decision. The show didn't elaborate if the vehicle had been spotted.

AB
9th October 2013, 05:46 PM
Yeah you should never leave your car.

As said above but with no epirb or sat phone I would of started a fire, kept it all going and had my seats and anything plastic or vinyl ready to throw on the fire of first signs of a plane.

Thick black smoke is the ideal beacon out there.

Maxhead
9th October 2013, 07:05 PM
First sentence said he got lost, so carry decent maps of the area you are travelling or have a proper off road GPS device....the rest would possibly have not happened...LOL

Drewboyaus
9th October 2013, 07:14 PM
It would seem that he should not have left Home LOL

Bloody classic Bob. PML

I saw that show a while ago and the dickhead didn't take a map with him as I recall.....WTF???
Knew the area like the back if his hand he said.......
Natural selection has been weeding out fools for years. It's a shame his daughter was nearly a victim of it as a result of her dad's stupidity.

NP99
9th October 2013, 07:14 PM
Talk about bad luck or was it stupidity? He sounds under prepared and a cluster. If you're living or operating in those regions, you can never under estimate the environment. It's not a good way to test your skills within a baptism of fire, we should all rehearse the worst case scenario at some stage.

mudnut
9th October 2013, 08:15 PM
Joining this forum has opened my eyes to exactly how much you have to prepare. The only "desert" experience I've had was the Border track area the other week and a drive from Northam to Port Hedland, Via Meekatharra and Newman, twenty odd years ago. We returned via Carnarvon and Gascoyne Junction, all on well used roads.

krbrooking
10th October 2013, 03:26 AM
By the sounds of it he didn't have much bush sense, he was lucky to have been prepared enough and have the survival essentials. But like said before what was he doing out there with no means of navigation, wether you know the area or not. The other thing is it doesn't sound like he cleared an area big enough for the fire he lit but as much as you should never leave your vehicle if he didn't would he have been found???

Sent from my iPhone using Motorculture mobile app

mudnut
10th October 2013, 07:23 PM
That is the big question, mate. They didn't say whether the vehicle was spotted first or even at all. As 93patrol wrote, about a mirror or something, he could have used the shiny screen of his phone as a signal to the helicopter, I suppose.

Bulbous
10th October 2013, 07:36 PM
This sort of failure is inevitable. You're screwed as soon as you drive it out of the Mitsubishi showroom.

Woof
10th October 2013, 09:25 PM
Always have an emergency grab bag that has survival stuff in it when you venture out to the middle of nowhere, or just by yourself off the beaten track.

NP99
10th October 2013, 10:04 PM
Always have an emergency grab bag that has survival stuff in it when you venture out to the middle of nowhere, or just by yourself off the beaten track.

I have one in my boat with a hand held VHF. Hope never to need it....

gaddy
10th October 2013, 10:30 PM
We all spend thousands on the latest bit of kit for our cars , what's more important if your broken down in the middle of nowhere , a flash looking car with everything thst opens and shuts . When for the cost of pie warmer you can get a epirb a map and a compass , how many people these days know how to read and plot a course on a map .

Steve

mudnut
11th October 2013, 01:02 PM
The emergency grab bag is an excellent idea. I used to pride myself on being able to work out where I was, because as kid, I used to go hunting quite a lot, in forests and farms near Bendigo. In the Ngarkat conservation park, I was part of a convoy, so just relaxed and let the leader navigate. I was checking the map, occasionally, as I hate not knowing where I am. When we got to the Nanam wells turn off, I found I was a little confused, (more than usual:), and had to use a compass.

BigRAWesty
11th October 2013, 01:59 PM
The emergency grab bag is an excellent idea. I used to pride myself on being able to work out where I was, because as kid, I used to go hunting quite a lot, in forests and farms near Bendigo. In the Ngarkat conservation park, I was part of a convoy, so just relaxed and let the leader navigate. I was checking the map, occasionally, as I hate not knowing where I am. When we got to the Nanam wells turn off, I found I was a little confused, (more than usual:), and had to use a compass.

Even I found myself a little lost in the Ngarkat Park. It's very a complacent area.
Like you, a quick scan for the sun, time and the map and it was all good again..

The forests around here are a shoit to. All straight square blocks.. Or so you think..

mudnut
12th October 2013, 09:59 AM
You are not wrong, Kallen. Also, with the harvesting of the plantations, it is very easy to mistake open areas as a different area.

Mitch.mccabe
20th October 2013, 09:14 PM
Hi guys interesting story, and at the end of the day the father and daughter were found safe and alive, so I guess what they did, did save their lives! I always carry a small space blanket, you know the ones, that are about 1.5m x 1.5 like aluminium foil but stronger. As a paramedic, I would suggest you go to your local ambos and ask if you can have one, or have a look on ebay they cost about a dollar, and are multi purpose. They act as a heat reflector/ and keep the heat in when cold. They are also a great thing to lie on the ground when in trouble as they have that mirror effect. Just my 2 cents