PDA

View Full Version : Suspension DIY or pay to get done

Covo71
6th October 2013, 12:17 PM
Hi Everyone,
I have been quoted $1700 to get a 2" lift done with OME gear and correction castors installed or am I better off getting Tough Dog shocks with Kings springs for around $2000 and do it myself? Is the tough Dog and Kings that much better than OME? Don't want to waste my money.
Cheers

MEGOMONSTER
6th October 2013, 01:14 PM
Hi Everyone,
I have been quoted $1700 to get a 2" lift done with OME gear and correction castors installed or am I better off getting Tough Dog shocks with Kings springs for around $2000 and do it myself? Is the tough Dog and Kings that much better than OME? Don't want to waste my money.
Cheers

Everyone gas there own opinion.
Good and bad stories are heard for both.
But a lot less for OME products.
Doing it your self is quite easy as I recently found out, although I did have help.
Some say you really don't need CC but would be a good idea.

The majority will say OME all the way.

threedogs
6th October 2013, 01:20 PM
Just wondering if fitting your own suspension would void any warranty.
Just putting it out there.
Same with Mego everyone has good reports on suspension set ups .
I have 2" EFS and happy

MudRunnerTD
6th October 2013, 01:40 PM
The Tough dog is not in the same paddock as the Old Man Emu and simply should not be compared.

OME is Light Years ahead of them.

Old mate Mego has just fitted a second hand OME setup that was on my GQ for over 100,000 kms of hard diving and it still raised his car 60mm! Impressive I think.

If your thinking of comparing systems then Tough dog and Iron man maybe but OME are World Class Aussie made.

I doubt you will need the Caster Correction so save your coin. Infact every effort should be made to retain the factory rubber bushes. Ripping them out just incase you need it is over rated.

Make that discission after driving it. Mego? Do you need Caster Correction mate? I doubt it.

OME matched springs and shocks In A heart Beat!

MEGOMONSTER
6th October 2013, 01:47 PM
The Tough dog is not in the same paddock as the Old Man Emu and simply should not be compared.

Old mate Mego has just fitted a second hand OME setup that was on my GQ for over 100,000 kms of hard diving and it still raised his car 60mm! Impressive I think.

If your thinking of comparing systems then Tough dog and Iron man maybe but OME are World Class Aussie made.

I doubt you will need the Caster Correction so save your coin. Infact every effort should be made to retain the factory rubber bushes. Ripping them out just incase you need it is over rated.

Make that discission after driving it. Mego? Do you need Caster Correction mate? I doubt it.

Is it right, when doing a lift, your diff moves back slightly. And castor correction moves it forward a little again. Well twists it forward again.
Giving me just a little more space for my wide tyres.

Drewboyaus
6th October 2013, 03:06 PM

X 2 What he said. Toughdog and King Springs not in the same postcode as OME. I'm amazed there charging more for the Toughdog set up.
I'm running a 2" OME GU lift in my GQ so it's a bit more than 2" and I have no real need for castor correction. I have been thinking about going to 3" and I would probably put in drop boxes to fix any castor issues if I went down that path.

Covo71
6th October 2013, 04:57 PM
Thanks everyone for your responses. That is a load off my mind, being cheaper and installed. It has been a few years since I have had a fourby so a bit out of touch with what is around and what is good. So is the price ok at $1700?

MudRunnerTD
6th October 2013, 05:40 PM
Is it right, when doing a lift, your diff moves back slightly. And castor correction moves it forward a little again. Well twists it forward again.
Giving me just a little more space for my wide tyres.

No.

When you lift a 4wd the rear of the front radius arms stays in position and the diff pivots down changing the angle and kinda putting it on its toes. A big lift you are standing higher on your toes and the steering gets flighting and you get oversteer. If after you have done a lift your steering is too quick and you are having trouble cruising straight and forever correcting the steering you need caster correction.

A 2" lift is only very slight and you should still be with in factory tolerances.

You can install a spacer in the rear pivot joint of your radius arms to move the diff forward but you would only do that to fit 35s

MudRunnerTD
6th October 2013, 05:42 PM
Thanks everyone for your responses. That is a load off my mind, being cheaper and installed. It has been a few years since I have had a fourby so a bit out of touch with what is around and what is good. So is the price ok at $1700?

If you are fitting it at an ARB you will find that that price is straight out of their price list and will be a National Price structure. Should be.

Assuming they priced caster bushes ask for a price without this mod as I don't think you should need it. Will probably save you $300

Covo71
6th October 2013, 08:11 PM
Thanks Mudrunner, wouldn't have known. I will ask them about it next week. If I can save a few $$$ I can put it on to some other toy. Be exhaust would be nice!
Cheers