PDA

View Full Version : 90% road tyres for GQ

lotus
14th January 2011, 04:44 PM
my tyres are getting pretty bald ...
so i'd like to hear some opinions on which tyres you guys would recommend?

[the car is used 90% on bitumen at present, with a little dirt when i go on small trips with the camper trailer ... probs do bigger trips during the life of the new tyres, so i want something that handles dirt OK ... but nothing hardcore or overly expensive.]

i have run duelers for the last 3+ years.

the evil twin
14th January 2011, 05:27 PM
I am running Kuhmo KL 78 (4 Rib A/T's), block tread, cut resistant and Light Truck

Brilliant on the bitumen and dirt/gravel roads and sooo much better than M/T's

Expect to get quoted about $220 ish a corner fitted and balanced but shop around for the best deal.

You didn't say which pattern Duellers you have but no matter what tyre you decide if you go A/T I suggest you go 4 rib not 5 rib... the difference on road is marginally in favour of 5 rib but on gravel and dirt the 4 rib patterns are better enough significantly to make them worthwhile.

lotus
14th January 2011, 06:39 PM
good info ... thanks for going into such detail!

my wife has stolen the patrol to take our kids and her sis and dad camping for the next few days [i have to work tomorrow] ... so i can't check for more details on my a/t deullers right now ... but i will when it comes home!

lotus
14th January 2011, 07:18 PM
can i get a second for the kuhmo's mentioned above!
or any other recommendations that people have tried and liked on the road and dirt?

Dhuck
14th January 2011, 08:59 PM
They are cheap but not a bad tyre. Try to stay away from Bridgestone and Goodyear. Over the years that I worked in the industry, my customers were taking them off the vehicles and replacing with BF Goodrich. The only time I ever sold a BS or GY, they were second hand. However BF's are a little on the expensive side but are a bloody good tyre. Maxxis are also not a bad tyre.

jace75
15th January 2011, 12:27 PM
i too am looking at tyres.
i have a GU 99 2.8 and put the 17 inch from later model on with Cooper STT's. I have had trouble with them from day 1 trying to stop the vibration and getting them balanced.
they are about 50% worn now and just so noisy even when turning the radio up.

What are a good AT tire for the 17's or should i go back to using the 16 steelies? i still have them in the back year but will miss the extra lift and the speedo accuracy going back.
what are peoples experience with this?

the evil twin
15th January 2011, 01:34 PM
i too am looking at tyres.
i have a GU 99 2.8 and put the 17 inch from later model on with Cooper STT's. I have had trouble with them from day 1 trying to stop the vibration and getting them balanced.
they are about 50% worn now and just so noisy even when turning the radio up.

What are a good AT tire for the 17's or should i go back to using the 16 steelies? i still have them in the back year but will miss the extra lift and the speedo accuracy going back.
what are peoples experience with this?
Last one first... I obviously like my KL71's however as other people have posted Maxxis etc are also fine in that price range I just reckon get a 4 rib not a 5 rib pattern.

As for your Coopers, they won't get any better and if you are really lucky they won't get any worse but probably will. I just changed from STT's myself but looked after then they are great however if they have not been meticulously rotated and maintained and uneven wear starts to happen then there is now way to get them "back" the uneven wear and scolloping will usually continue to compound itself.

Balancing usually doesn't help unless "out of balance" is the source of the vibration. If you coast to a stop and your tyres are 'rumbling' at say 5 to 10 KPH then that is where the noise and vibes are coming from...

I should add that the STT's are a damn good tyre... I changed only because I don't "do" mud anymore

DX grunt
15th January 2011, 03:01 PM
I run Kuhmo's (skinny tyres on split rims) on my truck, and I'm more than happy with them.

My 2c worth.

jace75
15th January 2011, 09:29 PM
Thanks im not saying they are not a good tyre they probably the best ive ever had. its just that i have had alot of noise and vibration and the tyre places have not been able to sort it out. i have done about 50000 ks on them and i have approx 50% wear left in them.

Its more like they dont suit my driving now too as i live in Sydney now. when i purchased them i was living in northern tasmania and going out in the bush with the 4x4 club every weekend.

now its more hwy driving to get to the place and then a little dirt i try not to play in mud if i dont have too.... maybe im just getting old!

the evil twin
16th January 2011, 01:35 AM
now its more hwy driving to get to the place and then a little dirt i try not to play in mud if i dont have too.... maybe im just getting old!

ROFL... $1 to a cold stubbie says I beat ya to getting old... :hpfredgeorge1:

Years ago you just opened the doors, popped the bonnet and hosed a 4X out... now a play in the mud and you are up for a new A/C compressor, the Alternator shorts out, the belt tensioner screams its willy off, the headlights fill up with God knows what, you stop every 5 minutes cause the Rad is clogged and more... Pffft... I am over it... touring is the gig for me now, genuine 4X touring that is... :clownredpuff: