PDA

View Full Version : extending breathers on a GQ

boggy2006
14th January 2011, 10:04 AM
hi,

I've been looking at extending the diff and transfer case breathers on the GQ. The front diff and transfer case seem to join together then go into the left wing. Do they just end there? The rear seems to do into the chassis cross member tube which is quite low. What's the best way to extend them and were should I take the extensions to, to make them higher up?

Thanks

Ben-e-boy
14th January 2011, 09:22 PM
I'm actually in the process of designing one on google sketchup (free download). It will be an aluminium manifold 80mm wide 40 mm high and 20 mm thick it will bolt to the head stock of my tray (for a wagon bolt it to the top left hand side in the engine bay in front of the passenger) The breather hoses will go into the top of the maifold, the other side I will use brass SMC ( good quality pneumatics) exhause fittings so air can escape but nothing will get in

I cant seem to post attachments with this reply so I will start a new post in the DIY section have a look if your keen

Cheers
Benny.

Ben-e-boy
14th January 2011, 10:02 PM
I just tries to post the pic but the forum dosnt accept the format sorry. hopefully you get the idea

MudRunnerTD
18th January 2011, 07:03 PM
I just tries to post the pic but the forum dosnt accept the format sorry. hopefully you get the idea

hey mate, just take a screen shot then post that up instead of straight out of your software.

MudRunnerTD
18th January 2011, 07:07 PM
hi,

I've been looking at extending the diff and transfer case breathers on the GQ. The front diff and transfer case seem to join together then go into the left wing. Do they just end there? The rear seems to do into the chassis cross member tube which is quite low. What's the best way to extend them and were should I take the extensions to, to make them higher up?

Thanks

Hey Boggy,

Yes mate your Gear box and front diff hook into some brass tubes running up the passenger side front wheel inner guard then exit the engine bay into the front 1/4 panel similar to the air intake for that model (ie where the snorkel goes in also)

The rear diff goes up and into the chassis cross member and stops there.

I would run the rear along the left side chassis rail and up into the engine bay and finish it high up near the bonnet on the fire wall, also connect the gear box and front diff back up to the same place and hook up a couple of $2.00 1 way fuel filters as breathers mate and your done.

Easy as.

AB
18th January 2011, 07:52 PM

Hi Benny, if you get stuck mate then just email me the attachments and I will put it up where you want it.

Google Sketchup is a great program for this sort of work. My mate has just designed his entire home off Sketchup!

My email is info@nissanpatrol.com.au if you get stuck, just let us know....Cheers!

YNOT
18th January 2011, 08:52 PM
A bit expensive but you can buy complete breather kits on EBAY. This one is a 4 port system (2 diffs, gearbox and transfer).

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Diff-Gearbox-Trans-Breather-QUAD-Kit-Snorkel-4WD-4x4-/310255983627?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item483cb29c0b

Tony

boggy2006
18th January 2011, 09:28 PM
thanks all for the ideas. Think I'll extend the rear to high on the bulkhead as suggested along with the others. If the water gets that high, I think I'll have other problems to deal with!!

gqswbwally
30th April 2011, 01:06 PM
the stock breathers are poo lol i have replaced mine with rubber hose and just put small fuel filters on the ends to keep the dust out

Bigrig
30th April 2011, 01:41 PM
the stock breathers are poo lol i have replaced mine with rubber hose and just put small fuel filters on the ends to keep the dust out

Not sure if you should use fuel filters - my understanding (someone correct me if wrong) is they aren't meant for water and subsequently if they do happen to get wet, they won't allow the diffs etc to breathe. Essentially causing water intake at the seals anyway?

gec
30th April 2011, 01:44 PM
same as above but if ya gonna do it ya may as well increase the flow so pull the breather out of the diff and get a brass fitting that has same thread but larger internal size and then just buy some cheap air hose and some cheap fuel filters and your set, ps with the front diff it is better to get a fitting with a 90 degree bend as this will prevent your air hose from kinking, also after the filter use a bit clear hose cable tied in an upside down u so as to create an air pocket to help keep water out altough if you get that deep you got other problems as well. best to use clear filters and end hose so you can keep an eye on how much dust and crap is in there, see attached pic, not tied down yet

http://i327.photobucket.com/albums/k452/BeniMan_08/3.jpg