PDA

View Full Version : my patrol's on the piss!

ianmowat
1st October 2013, 08:15 PM
just got new shocks and springs on the GQ....now the driver's side is 15 mm higher than the other.

is this normal??( the springs are on the correct side......ian

MudRunnerTD
1st October 2013, 08:27 PM
Hi Ian,

Please head over to the Introduction section and post a Hello thread please mate. We like new members to say G'day before asking for advice.

How does it sit with you sitting in the car?

Parksy
1st October 2013, 08:28 PM
Hey mate, head over to the intro section and say g'day. Just a small ask of this forum. You will find lots of people will offer all the help once you've done this. Friendly bunch here.

AB
1st October 2013, 08:32 PM
Mine is slightly higher on the drivers too. I assumed its the weight compensation of the driver plus other things on the drivers side (battery, fuel tank if on side, torque of the motor, spare wheel, etc).

As above, jump in and get someone to see how it looks.

Welcome to the forum as well mate and don't forget to put up an intro about yourself in the intro section.

I actually wouldn't mind seeing how my GQ sits when I'm in there...lol

BigRAWesty
1st October 2013, 09:18 PM
Mine is slightly higher on the drivers too. I assumed its the weight compensation of the driver plus other things on the drivers side (battery, fuel tank if on side, torque of the motor, spare wheel, etc).

As above, jump in and get someone to see how it looks.

Welcome to the forum as well mate and don't forget to put up an intro about yourself in the intro section.

I actually wouldn't mind seeing how my GQ sits when I'm in there...lol

It would loose value... :p

Welcome mate. As others have said it's pretty normal. Was it meassured straight after fitting or after a few k's to seat them in??

BillsGU
1st October 2013, 10:28 PM
Before you installed the springs, did you put them side by side to select the longer one? This normally goes on the left hand side to allow for road camber. That way your vehicle sits level as its going down the road and it is also easier to set up the wheel alignment.

ianmowat
5th October 2013, 09:39 AM
Before you installed the springs, did you put them side by side to select the longer one? This normally goes on the left hand side to allow for road camber. That way your vehicle sits level as its going down the road and it is also easier to set up the wheel alignment.

that seems logical to me...but the long springs are marked : R/H .....they are king springs which may be made in China where they drive on the wrong side???

MudRunnerTD
5th October 2013, 09:46 AM

Sorry Bill that's not correct mate. Makes sense but is inaccurate. The long front spring is for the Drivers side to support the weight of the driver as part of the constant load and also the spare wheel on the drivers side rear door. If you also have a sub tank it's on the drivers side.

Longer Spring should be clearly marked if they are New and be for the Drivers side.

The 100,000km old OME kit I just lent Mego still had the paper wrap label identifying it for the drivers side.

ianmowat
5th October 2013, 09:52 AM
should also mention long-range fuel tank is centred...ian

BigRAWesty
5th October 2013, 05:45 PM
Sorry Bill that's not correct mate. Makes sense but is inaccurate. The long front spring is for the Drivers side to support the weight of the driver as part of the constant load and also the spare wheel on the drivers side rear door. If you also have a sub tank it's on the drivers side.

Longer Spring should be clearly marked if they are New and be for the Drivers side.

The 100,000km old OME kit I just lent Mego still had the paper wrap label identifying it for the drivers side.

And they will also be stamped /engraved

BillsGU
8th October 2013, 11:11 AM

I checked with Tough Dog and you are right. That really surprises me as I replaced the springs on a (non Patrol) vehicle a few years ago and the instructions clearly stated that the longer springs went on the PS to allow for road camber. Just shows that you shouldn't assume they are all the same. Sorry if I confused anyone.