PDA

View Full Version : Fast glass

Lambroast
13th January 2011, 10:15 PM
Hi all,

Seems I have 2 window motors packed it in now.
Anybody have any intel on the best place to find replacements ?
So far looking at about $175 ea.
Had any luck re-winding them or repair in general ?

Cheers
Simon

Woof
13th January 2011, 10:27 PM
I'm sure that there is a post somewhere here regarding converting the electric ones to manual, but not sure where???

NissanGQ4.2
13th January 2011, 10:34 PM
From what i have read on various posts, most people convert 2 manual,

Have not came across anyone that repairs them. I did read on a post somewhere on this forum, that they have aftermarket ones installed, but i do not know who made them.

Sorry not much help on this one

YNOT
13th January 2011, 10:48 PM
It depends how they have failed. Is it a fault with the motors or the regulators?
If it is a fault with the motor you can remove the motors and convert them manual, but this requires removal of the electric window type arm rests and would seem out of place in a TI.
If it is a fault with the regulator you will need new regulators. Back when I had my first GQ (an ST with electric windows) I had 2 regulators fail. It was the little clutch around the winder shaft that had broken. My Dad being the handy bloke he is pulled the regulators apart and replaced the broken die cast alloy piece with a brass piece that he made. Never gave any more trouble after that.

Tony

Lambroast
13th January 2011, 11:05 PM
Thanks guys,

Don't want to convert to manual. Like the lekkie ones (when they work).

Not sure if it's the regulators or the motors. Played with the rear drivers one when I was home last. Getting 12v to the motor connector when operating them, so I assumed it was the motor. It just flat out stopped working (see my other post) whilst I was attempting to find a noise/speaker fault in the drivers door. Worked one minute, stopped the next ???
Front passenger motor got more and more unreliable and the stopped working altogether about 6 mths ago. Haven't got round to sorting that any further. I did pull the whole thing apart and clean all the brushes up at the time. Worked periodicaly until it stopped completely.

'Lectrical gremlins.....wish they'd just bugger off !

Simon

YNOT
13th January 2011, 11:11 PM
The switches can also be unreliable.

Tony

gxr
17th January 2011, 04:14 AM
I would go with Tony's observation !
Had the same symptoms on my previous car and at the end it turned out to be the switches! just needed to clean them from the carbon deposits that had formed on the contact points.

BillsGU
17th January 2011, 12:31 PM
I bought some new electric window bits from this mob a couple of years ago. It was aftermarket but very high quality.

www.electriclife.com.au/

They we good to deal with and sent the items in the post that same day. They do now have agents in other states. Can only try.

Lambroast
20th January 2011, 02:30 AM
Talk about unreliable......rear drivers window decides to start working again today...... WTF ??

It's got personality....

Thanks for the link Bill. Tried them but their site is under maintainence. Try again tomorrow.

Simon

YNOT
20th January 2011, 06:55 AM
If it has started working again then it sounds like a switch fault. If a window motor or regualtor mechanism fails they won't start working again.

Tony

NissanGQ4.2
15th November 2011, 09:18 PM
I bought some new electric window bits from this mob a couple of years ago. It was aftermarket but very high quality.

www.electriclife.com.au/

They we good to deal with and sent the items in the post that same day. They do now have agents in other states. Can only try.

That link is now dead, but I'm sure this is the same company: http://www.powerwindows-sydney.communityguide.com.au/site.cfm?/powerwindows-sydney

NissanGQ4.2
16th November 2011, 07:00 PM
That link is now dead, but I'm sure this is the same company: http://www.powerwindows-sydney.communityguide.com.au/site.cfm?/powerwindows-sydney

I emailed ElectricLife, they have the replacement motors..... $220 plus freight. They don't sell the brushes :(

robbo0001
16th November 2011, 11:01 PM
If you were playing with a speaker and the window stopped working...check all earth points inside that door trim, I reckon you have dislodged or open circuited a wire/ connector. Specially if its just started working again.

If not ...pull the rocker off the switch and hit the switch mech with some contact cleaner...amazing how much food/skin cells/ dirt can get onto the pad of the switch and interupt contact
Cheers
Dave