PDA

View Full Version : Noisy tyres

Lambroast
13th January 2011, 09:41 PM
Hi all,

I run Cooper S/T's on my GQ. Had them since I bought it. They are extremely noisy.
Does anyone know what sort of pressure I should be running them at ? And whether this will affect the noise.I think they are about 35 psi ATM.

Gumby question I know.......

Cheers
Simon

Bigrig
13th January 2011, 09:44 PM
Not a gumby question mate - between 36-38 depending on who you talk to, but I had the coopers and they are notorious for noise - especially as they wear down (as though the rubber compound gets harder as they wear away - I know the tread lugs on all tyres don't 'flex' as much the shorter they get, but the coopers just seem to be excessive).

Dhuck
13th January 2011, 09:49 PM
I have never been big on Coopers. But what is the max tyre pressure on the side wall? If you are running 35lb in them and they are noisy, changing the pressure is not really going to help.

Are the shoulders choppy or scalloped? This will cause noise and usually caused due to wheel allignment or under inflation.

IMHO get rid of them and get something better. BFG AT's at the higher end or Maxxis on the lower end. I find these better than Cooper. Don't buy Goodyear for god sakes please.

Woof
13th January 2011, 09:54 PM
Simon I had S/Ts on my old GU and they made a lot of noise, running at 38.
They did not quite have enough grip for me so I got myself some STT's, they were a lot quieter even though they have a more aggressive tread patten.

Lambroast
6th March 2012, 03:21 PM
OK thanks for the replies folks,

Time for the Coopers to go. Had one delaminate at 110kph yesterday. Did some damage underneath but thankfully held its pressure and allowed me to stop without crashing ! New pair of undies required tho !
Been doing the shop around today for some new rubber. Came up with:

Kumho KL78's $260
Cooper AT3's $360
Hero somethingorothers $325
Maxxis 751's $325
Sonny's $275

All prices include F&B....

Anybody got a worthwhile opinion ?

I'm looking for something for 90% blacktop and a bit of beach action occasionally.

Been reading through the tyre posts here and still unable to make a decision... So far leaning towards the Kumho's. Good price and ok feedback......

Cheers
Simon

Lambroast
6th March 2012, 11:55 PM
Bump ...... :)

nowoolies
6th March 2012, 11:57 PM
Bump ...... :)

have a look at mickey tompsons mate
i got mtz 33`s on mine very quite and good handleing

Clunk
7th March 2012, 12:17 AM
For the money mate and seeing your doing mostly black top with a spot of beach, I wouldn't go past the khumos....... I think Timbar has them on his rig and has had no issues from what I recall

nowoolies
7th March 2012, 12:20 AM
For the money mate and seeing your doing mostly black top with a spot of beach, I wouldn't go past the khumos....... I think Timbar has them on his rig and has had no issues from what I recall

apart from spinning them in mud hahahahahahahahah

Lambroast
7th March 2012, 12:42 AM
Sweet. Thanks Guys.

Kumho's are looking good.

Anyone heard of Hero ? Did some searching. Can't find a great deal except they are a Federal knock off of some kind.

Cheers
Simon

Clunk
7th March 2012, 12:45 AM
Sweet. Thanks Guys.

Anyone heard of Hero ? Did some searching. Can't find a great deal except they are a Federal knock off of some kind.

Cheers
Simon
Sorry mate can't hep ya there

Clunk
7th March 2012, 12:46 AM
apart from spinning them in mud hahahahahahahahah

You know he'd do that no matter what tyres he had lol

nowoolies
7th March 2012, 12:50 AM
Sweet. Thanks Guys.

Cheers
Simon

i have Heros on my work bus and my son has them on his GQ we cannot fault them in any way very quite on road,.. my son (rev head) couldnt get them to spin in the wet
and they as as good ad any bfg`s i have ever had
bloody good tyre wish i had put them on my GU
and fantastic off road, mud, sand ect

Lambroast
7th March 2012, 11:48 PM
OK,

So now I'm thinking about false economy in spending as little as poss.
Into the Fray come Mickey Thompson ATZ, 4 rib......

AARRGHH..... Too many to choose from.... Need heellppp !!!

:( :(

macca86
8th March 2012, 12:08 AM
Micky thompson atz or mtz get good reviews all round from what I've read. Maxis wear down too quick I have bfG AT's and they are great on road great on sand bag out nicely not bad on rock but poor in the slushy mud. So far 40 000 km on them still have 7mm of tread to get to the wear strip and quiet hardly any road noise in the cab even with windows down

Lambroast
9th March 2012, 09:02 PM
OK. Done deal..... Mickey Thompsons it is.. Booked in for new boots on tuesday !

Clunk
9th March 2012, 10:04 PM
OK. Done deal..... Mickey Thompsons it is.. Booked in for new boots on tuesday !

Good choice, I have them too lol..... Where ya getting them done? Hope you got a good price?

Lambroast
9th March 2012, 11:40 PM
Good choice, I have them too lol..... Where ya getting them done? Hope you got a good price?

Perth4x4 on Balcatta Rd... $365 a corner....

Clunk
9th March 2012, 11:45 PM
Perth4x4 on Balcatta Rd... $365 a corner....

Nice one, did you go 33s and new rims?

Lambroast
9th March 2012, 11:53 PM
Nice one, did you go 33s and new rims?

Nah no new rims unfortunately. Would have liked to but the credit card already had one heart attack ! Went for 285/75 16's. Same as I have already. Would have got the STZ's but no 285 and didn't want to go down to a 265/70.

Still gotta get the bus fixed too. More $$ :( When the tyre delaminated it dented the bottom of the quarter panel, took out the electrics for the trailer plug and stuffed the mudguard. Fun fun fun.... But I didn't crash so I'm happy :)