PDA

View Full Version : GOPRO Problems/issues , have you had any ?

04OFF
29th September 2013, 10:32 AM
OK, so id like to know if any of you that own Gopro hero 3 cameras, have had any issues with camera and related software ?

A few of my main concerns........

Mine does NOT very often generate a live "preview" ,once connected using wifi connection to a phone (2 samsung & 2 apple devices tested , with latest software update on cam & ph), saving video from the camera to device will only work on low res, and will only save one video (will show icons for many more).

Attempting software update (gopro website) is painfull, does not recognise camera first go, sometimes takes a hour of trying.

I also have curruption issues with the SD card, Gopro does not often fix files (as is should) when recording is interupted due to a flat battery.

While im no computer tech nerd, im very confident its not just user error, for the record ,I own 2 DSLR still cameras, 4 laptops, plus i have filmed and fully edited & produced a DVD, yet, ive honestly never had so much hassle with any media/electronic recording device than with my Gopro !

Id like to know if ive just got a dud camera, or if these things really just don't work quite how they should, PLEASE REPLY here, as i will buy another camera if you guys all say yours work 100% perfect !

NP99
29th September 2013, 01:19 PM
I think there is an article on the web about a batch of dud cameras.

Lewy
29th September 2013, 02:18 PM
I have no problem with mine mate.. It updates easy and works fine.. The WiFi to your Phone, Ipad etc will never be full live time it will always have a delay :-( More for camera set up than anything else! I have no problem saving footage to my phone from my go pro.. I have the Hero 3 black... If you think yours is a dud is it still under warranty?

Lewy

Ben-e-boy
29th September 2013, 02:34 PM
the only issue I have with mine is that it sometimes takes a long time and a few goes for the computer to recognise that it is plugged in. and I cant get to play back movies plugged into the tv

04OFF
29th September 2013, 06:59 PM
I have no problem with mine mate.. It updates easy and works fine.. The WiFi to your Phone, Ipad etc will never be full live time it will always have a delay :-( More for camera set up than anything else! I have no problem saving footage to my phone from my go pro.. I have the Hero 3 black... If you think yours is a dud is it still under warranty?

Lewy

Just to confirm, im not talking about the image time delay, i actually get NO preview , the camera connects just fine via the wifi, i can turn on/off and change settings, but preview is rare to work .

Are you saying your preview works first go every go without fail ?

And how many times have you used the preview function ?

Lewy
29th September 2013, 07:19 PM
Ok. Well on my iPhone I never have any trouble with it connecting. Some times it's a little slow to get connected but when it is it works fine! I use the preview ever time that I have used the camera. Only had a few hours use (if that) mainly with it strapped to the dogs! LoL.

lhurley
29th September 2013, 08:33 PM
Mine is a pain to update, but I have a feeling that might be due to me using a Mac? But I just download the update and put it on the card and get the camera to do it.
As for the preview, i have only had issues with it prior to the the new update. Since updating it's been fine. I've used it a bunch of times. It is slow sometimes but by the time I have finished talking or setting up the mount it's ready.

Before you go and get a new one I would reset it factory and try a different card (non eBay) and see how you go. If it's still dodgy the get a new one.

Ps I have a hero 3 black

NP99
29th September 2013, 09:48 PM
the only issue I have with mine is that it sometimes takes a long time and a few goes for the computer to recognise that it is plugged in. and I cant get to play back movies plugged into the tv

Are you using a HDMI cable?

NP99
29th September 2013, 09:54 PM
http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/micro-pov-camera-systems/512050-gopro-hero3-freezing-problem.html

This was the link that alluded to the dud batch?......

04OFF
30th September 2013, 07:48 AM
Before you go and get a new one I would reset it factory and try a different card (non eBay) and see how you go. If it's still dodgy the get a new one.

Ps I have a hero 3 black

I have heard about fake cards, my card is a Scandisk, purchased from a aussie store so hope its genuine ?

Are you talking about a factory reset sending the camera away, or just use the camera menu restore factory settings ?

lhurley
30th September 2013, 09:01 AM
I have heard about fake cards, my card is a Scandisk, purchased from a aussie store so hope its genuine ?

Are you talking about a factory reset sending the camera away, or just use the camera menu restore factory settings ?

Hopefully your card is legit. For how much they cost it wouldnt hurt trying a new one. I use one of those ultra sandisk ones.
Yea i meant a reset on the camera.
Is there a way you could message go pro and see if your issues are known problems?

04OFF
30th September 2013, 03:37 PM
Hopefully your card is legit. For how much they cost it wouldnt hurt trying a new one. I use one of those ultra sandisk ones. ?

My card is a Scandisk class 10 64gb , so not actually that cheap to replace, i did test another SD card when i first got the gopro, it didn't make much difference, although that was with the old software that i think everyone agreed was pretty dodge.

Yea i meant a reset on the camera.
Is there a way you could message go pro and see if your issues are known problems?

Updating the software should reset the camera anyway ?, and i think ive attempted that about 6 times so far to get it all to work as it should.

I have not had much success messaging them in the past, but i guess i could try and contact them about my issues ?

NP99
30th September 2013, 07:16 PM
Dig around in here mate -

http://www.goproforums.com

lhurley
1st October 2013, 10:06 PM
Having read through a heap of pages on the link from np99, all I can say from what is on that forum is that, update to the newest software, wipe your memory card using the camera and don't let the battery die, will/should fix most issues.
I don't really like that forum tbh, the people on there seem childish and annoying from the threads I have read. M2cw

I'm not 100% but I think the reason it won't play or copy files from the camera to your phone is because it will on play or copy a select few compatible formats. If the phone can't play it, it won't copy it.

There's also an update for the iPhone app from yesterday so I'm guessing the camera has 1 too?

NP99
1st October 2013, 10:32 PM
Good summary Hurls.

04OFF
2nd October 2013, 07:19 AM
Having read through a heap of pages on the link from np99, all I can say from what is on that forum is that, update to the newest software, wipe your memory card using the camera and don't let the battery die, will/should fix most issues.
I don't really like that forum tbh, the people on there seem childish and annoying from the threads I have read. M2cw

I'm not 100% but I think the reason it won't play or copy files from the camera to your phone is because it will on play or copy a select few compatible formats. If the phone can't play it, it won't copy it.

There's also an update for the iPhone app from yesterday so I'm guessing the camera has 1 too?

Thanks mate, i have the latest software (but will re-check now you say more was released yesterday)

Im getting a new SD card today.

Will try and "only" wipe card with camera (as have used PC to format a few times)

Not letting the battery die is a hard one, ill try but i can't promise (lol)

As for the Ph, my phone can play the video no problem (if its saved as low res) , if you go into "my gopro album" it will show and save, each and every video, but will only keep and play the last one you rip , it will also not keep this video in the phone so you can watch later without the gopro.

Thanks for the help/ideas so far guys.;)

NP99
2nd October 2013, 07:58 AM
04OFF - mate, you can also get larger amp batteries that give a tad more life. Also can get car chargers for when on the road.

04OFF
2nd October 2013, 09:12 AM
04OFF - mate, you can also get larger amp batteries that give a tad more life. Also can get car chargers for when on the road.

Yeh, ive already got 5 batteries, 2 car chargers etc, and the gopro battery life is just fine anyway, "if", i could just turn it on and it worked, but as i mentioned before, i will oftern waste so much of the battery just getting the preview to work, then adjusting the camera position etc, by the time you actually start recording what you want, the battery is half gone.

Not wanting to move the camera or have to turn the camera off, i dont fit a new battery, for fear of having to start everything all over again.

Ill try the new SD card out this weekend, will have to put software on the new card ,so will 100% have the latest software update.

Stropp
2nd October 2013, 03:00 PM
how do i upload video to the forum? i tried and it just sat there waiting for AB to say yes :) for about half an hour ( maybe he was busy!) anyway it didn't load just kept up the old waiting for the forum, is there an easier way to load the video?

Clunk
2nd October 2013, 03:13 PM
Stropp, open up a youtube account mate, upload the video to you tube, then copy the URL to here.......... easy peasy lemon squeezy

04OFF
2nd October 2013, 03:15 PM
You could always just put em on you tube, then post a link on the forum (thats what i do)

EDIT, Clunk beat me to it, but yeh (lol)

04OFF
2nd October 2013, 10:34 PM
So i got my card, go to gopro to update the camera software, so i have to get the Java software thing again as per gopro instructions.

Windows is now popping up all sorts of warnings about dodgy certificates, then files not safe etc, so i keep pushing through, telling windows yes i understand the risk (i have no idea about risks ?, but no choice if i want to continue) .....restart PC to try again.

Then of course Windows goes nuts with warnings again , but to my surprize ,Java , the software gopro force me to install, is also giving me multiple "warnings" about the dangers of running the gopro application !

Then (of course), my camera is NOT recognised anyway ,"really" gopro.............. being as though "everyone" who buys a camera has to update it when the get it, do you not think you could pay some teenager $50 to make it work with Windows 7 without having all the security issues, i know its not a very popular operating system an all !

Ive tryed this all a few times now , everthing by the intruction to the letter, and every time i retry to connect i have to input my details (full name, email) ,so as you may be able to tell, its just a trifle frustrating :sterb003:

Am i the only one who has to go through this every time to update their gopro software ?

Stropp
2nd October 2013, 11:40 PM
Yes I got my young work casual to do mine, easier and no dramas for me.

04OFF
3rd October 2013, 07:12 AM
So i tried again this morning, and to my excitement the camera was detected, downloaded software to camera/card, all done, so then turned camera on , and the camera tells me the "update failed".

Then of course the camera wont turn off, so i had to remove the battery, at this stage i gave it all to my teenage son, his first words were, "OK, but you know it NOT going to work ?",(we've been here before), i explained id wasted about 2 hours total attepting to make it work, so now its his turn ! (ha-ha)

lhurley
3rd October 2013, 12:06 PM
So i tried again this morning, and to my excitement the camera was detected, downloaded software to camera/card, all done, so then turned camera on , and the camera tells me the "update failed".

Then of course the camera wont turn off, so i had to remove the battery, at this stage i gave it all to my teenage son, his first words were, "OK, but you know it NOT going to work ?",(we've been here before), i explained id wasted about 2 hours total attepting to make it work, so now its his turn ! (ha-ha)

That sucks. Mine was always a pain to update but last night I tried again, it actually worked 2 nd go. No update available but still it worked. Cause it's java I don't think the os plays any part in it. There was a few threads on the forum that got linked earlier, about the update failure issue.

Only help I can offer is a different computer to try it on if need be, and to say make sure everything is updated PC wise (Java windows etc)

04OFF
3rd October 2013, 02:12 PM
That sucks. Mine was always a pain to update but last night I tried again, it actually worked 2 nd go. No update available but still it worked. Cause it's java I don't think the os plays any part in it. There was a few threads on the forum that got linked earlier, about the update failure issue.

Only help I can offer is a different computer to try it on if need be, and to say make sure everything is updated PC wise (Java windows etc)

Yeh , have been through it before, (tried 3 different PCs, 5 different cords etc etc)

Java was only just installed yesterday after i was told i need it by the gopro web site, (so its as late a version thats available), windows was warning me about the gopro web site "before" i had even installed Java, then again after install, then i have "Java" warning me about applications on the gopro web site as well.

The whole proccess just reeks of half arsed !

lhurley
3rd October 2013, 07:30 PM
Yeh , have been through it before, (tried 3 different PCs, 5 different cords etc etc)

Java was only just installed yesterday after i was told i need it by the gopro web site, (so its as late a version thats available), windows was warning me about the gopro web site "before" i had even installed Java, then again after install, then i have "Java" warning me about applications on the gopro web site as well.

The whole proccess just reeks of half arsed !

I've got a Mac so different maybe?? I got a heap of warnings about the go pro site. They throw up warnings if the certificate is out of date or non existant.

It does seem half arse which is really disappointing for such a great camera and an expensive 1 at that

NP99
3rd October 2013, 08:03 PM
This is a wild arse guess, but what about changing cables?

04OFF
3rd October 2013, 09:38 PM
This is a wild arse guess, but what about changing cables?

My son attempted to get it to work today using his PC and his cable (and also gave up after many goes), it normally will work "eventually", but not until you have wasted about 2-3 hours............so yeh, not really what id call user friendly :(

I bought a new netbook today (windows 8), so ill try on that, if this does not work , it will make it so far, 4 PCs tried, 2 operating systems, 2 wifi networks, 6 cables, 3 SD cars, 4 Phones, and 3 operators.................I think the problem is perhaps with the Gopro ?

04OFF
3rd October 2013, 10:49 PM
Ok so using new PC windows 8 OS, downloaded Java, all the same warnings, but this time camera connected/updated first go ! :thumbup: (yay)

I also Updated to the very latest gopro software on/for my Phone.

Camera connected to ph no problem first go (as it always has), yet it still took 10 minutes (timed with a digital clock, not exaggerated one second) with the Gopro and the ph sitting less than 50mm apart, to generate a visible preview.

So instantly that's 10 min battery wasted already, but more to the point, after 5 min, I normally just give up waiting for the preview, and so just guess the shot (often getting crap) or just don't bother filming at all.

For the record, I can control "all" functions of the camera with my ph, just can't get a preview (without much waiting/dicking around)

NP99
3rd October 2013, 10:53 PM
The root of all evil MS windows :)

04OFF
3rd October 2013, 10:58 PM
The root of all evil MS windows :)

ha-ha, before windows 7 id have agreed, but really IMO ,7 is quite brilliant, as you don't need to be a nerd with a degree in IT to use it, ill let you know about 8 (lol) :)

04OFF
7th October 2013, 09:39 PM
Bit of an update, the new Gopro software and app appears to work much better than before, not 100%reliable , but we managed to generate a preview about 70% of the time first go ,so a big improvement.

As the camera/software worked as it should most of the time, the battery life was never a problem.

We captured a couple of cool videos with the gopro on the troll while up near Rainbow Beach, even though we did have to "just guess" the camera angle a few times (no preview generated).

The Gopro copped a couple of decent hits over the the past few days hanging off the car, i smashed it into sticks, logs, sand and water, all with enough force to twist ,bend or break mounts etc, but the camera handled it all no problem !

Overall, im pretty happy with the way the gopro performed over the weekend, it seemed "almost" user freindly, and made me want to use it a bit more, this also made it worth the effort to come up with some original and more creative mounting angles (the photographer in me coming out)

Will upload Videos to the tube soon as i can :smile:

NP99
7th October 2013, 11:10 PM
We'll have to have a gopro weekend.........

04OFF
8th October 2013, 06:39 AM
Heres one of the vids....

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?23815-Beach-driving-at-Rainbow-Double-Island&p=433549#post433549