PDA

View Full Version : SA Border Track

mudnut
27th September 2013, 10:38 AM
G'day all. I was planning to do a club run on the border track this weekend, but there has been heaps of rain recently. I just watched a youtube video of the southern end of the track from a fortnight ago. It looks really sloppy. Does any one know if there are Chicken tracks past the worst bits?

BigRAWesty
27th September 2013, 10:49 AM
Sure are mate. But don't stress. I've done it 100% on road tyres. Get in and get her dirty..

mudnut
27th September 2013, 10:51 AM
Thanks Kallen. I was just concerned because the organiser of the trip reckons once you're in, you're in for the long haul.

BigRAWesty
27th September 2013, 03:03 PM
Na mate. Chicken tracks the whole way.
There is one section which is like a big shallow pan with a couple of ruts threw it.. The sides are flat and no more than a couple of inches deep so feel free to go around, or straddle the ruts..
An X-trail has followed us twice from boadertown..

mudnut
30th September 2013, 06:57 PM
Not a lot to report as most of the mud was dry. There was only one :) to :O moment for one of the other blokes for the whole trip. The Old Trol shod with BFG Rugged Terrains performed well. Mundulla has a fantastic showground camp and the pub served excellent food.

Woof
30th September 2013, 06:59 PM
Any photos mate?

mudnut
30th September 2013, 07:21 PM
Nah I only took a panorama at Hensleys Trig. Ho Hum.

BigRAWesty
30th September 2013, 08:36 PM
Bloody hell mn... You know better than that..
Throw up the trig point shot..
So you guys didn't venture into the little desert to much then??

mudnut
1st October 2013, 09:23 PM
The tree is near border town and there is a blade that was stuck there by shearers who used to play darts with them in the 1800's. Of course there is Hensleys Trig and a picture of some shield shrimp that some kids showed me.

BigRAWesty
1st October 2013, 09:28 PM
The tree is near border town and there is a blade that was stuck there by shearers who used to play darts with them in the 1800's. Of course there is Hensleys Trig and a picture of some shield shrimp that some kids showed me.

Father in-law tells me that trig hill is only half of what it was 30 years ago.. Crazy how much it all moves..

mudnut
1st October 2013, 09:44 PM
Don't tell the scientists that or they will have a fit. Lol. We did have a look at the Red Bluff, but I left the camera in the car. DOH!
I reckon being in the desert is fantastic, with no flaming fences. Having the border fence takes a way from the experience a little. Some of the dune tracks have been blocked as well. There was quite a bit of traffic too. I want to do a tour of the little desert one day.

BigRAWesty
1st October 2013, 10:11 PM
Yea they change the tracks every year to help preserve the area and stop excessive wear to one section.. Good idea imo.
There is also a nice section just south east of Keith which imo is well worth looking at. Amazing how much the scenery changes from one side of the highway to the other..

Pat The Troll
2nd October 2013, 10:52 PM
Hey peeps better late than never
Did the track one long weekend last year and bugger me about 60 kz from the end we came across an RBT
So if you plan on doing the trip on a long weekend dont drink and drive
Enjoy

BigRAWesty
2nd October 2013, 11:48 PM
Yea.. That's dedication...