PDA

View Full Version : Smoking Engine problem Fix

Roger
13th January 2011, 02:49 PM
Hi all,
I had posted Dec last year a problem with my TD28 engine smoking on start up and wondered if anyone had a solution to fix it.
After asking a lot of mechanics, no-one to seemed to be able to give me any answers. I renewed all filters, checked glow plugs - all were okay. So decided to take it to a fuel injection workshop for a diagnostic. First they said they would check compression. That was okay through the 6 cylinders. They said they had a special tool to adjust the actual injector pump. The timing should have been .87@TDC but was at .29@TDC so this caused the problem of the smoke as fuel was put into cylinders too late and so was exhausting out. Since this was done it has been running perfect, no smoke at all and instant start. Thank goodness for that and not too many $$$. I hope this info may help anyone else with a similar problem as not all diesel injection workshops have the correct tool (an expensive one) to do this job.

AB
13th January 2011, 03:04 PM
Hi all,
I had posted Dec last year a problem with my TD28 engine smoking on start up and wondered if anyone had a solution to fix it.
After asking a lot of mechanics, no-one to seemed to be able to give me any answers. I renewed all filters, checked glow plugs - all were okay. So decided to take it to a fuel injection workshop for a diagnostic. First they said they would check compression. That was okay through the 6 cylinders. They said they had a special tool to adjust the actual injector pump. The timing should have been .87@TDC but was at .29@TDC so this caused the problem of the smoke as fuel was put into cylinders too late and so was exhausting out. Since this was done it has been running perfect, no smoke at all and instant start. Thank goodness for that and not too many $$$. I hope this info may help anyone else with a similar problem as not all diesel injection workshops have the correct tool (an expensive one) to do this job.

That's great to here Roger and thanks for posting the outcome.

It's good to get feedback and this will help others in the future indeed!

mick27
13th January 2011, 08:30 PM
Hello Roger.
Mick27 here good post. Just wonder if i have the same prob i have a RD28 and she likes to puff out a bit of smoke.

Finly Owner
13th January 2011, 11:17 PM
Tony are you thinking what I am?

YNOT
13th January 2011, 11:19 PM
Tony are you thinking what I am?

That you need to buy one of these expensive tools to check Finly's pump timing?

Tony

Finly Owner
13th January 2011, 11:28 PM
BASS TEDS

:210:

Whys everybody insulting/picking on me and Finly tonite?

YNOT
13th January 2011, 11:34 PM
Sorry Tim just having a bit of fun mate.

When did you last have the injectors done on Finly?

Tony

Finly Owner
13th January 2011, 11:37 PM
Nah they are new mate from diesel aust.

Finly Owner
13th January 2011, 11:44 PM
And it's ok, just started with AB insulting Finly calling him A BLOODY MQ!.

I htink I found him the ZOOK he was looking for........................

Roger
14th January 2011, 11:08 PM
Hi,
I don't know if you blokes are mocking me or what, but this forum and some diesel mechanics and petrol only mechanics could not give me a solution to my problem with a smoky engine and only when I took it to this diesel injection mob I was told of this tool that adjusted the timing of the injection pump. I was told the tool was costly, and not all diesel injection companies actually have invested in one. It probably is not something a backyard mechanic would buy. It is not mentioned at all in the Nissan Patrol Manual. So most people would not even no about it except if they look into a Toyota Diesel Manual. (haha). Another Diesel injection mob told me that the engine was stuffed as they had two GU Patrols that day who had a one cylinder compression down in the motor requiring a engine rebuild. So I told it as it was and I am thankful that it was an easy fix for me at $330.

Finly Owner
14th January 2011, 11:17 PM
Hi,
I don't know if you blokes are mocking me or what, but this forum and some diesel mechanics and petrol only mechanics could not give me a solution to my problem with a smoky engine and only when I took it to this diesel injection mob I was told of this tool that adjusted the timing of the injection pump. I was told the tool was costly, and not all diesel injection companies actually have invested in one. It probably is not something a backyard mechanic would buy. It is not mentioned at all in the Nissan Patrol Manual. So most people would not even no about it except if they look into a Toyota Diesel Manual. (haha). Another Diesel injection mob told me that the engine was stuffed as they had two GU Patrols that day who had a one cylinder compression down in the motor requiring a engine rebuild. So I told it as it was and I am thankful that it was an easy fix for me at $330.

No Roger we are not mocking you mate. My MK is overfuelling with new injectors, and no real reason can be found. I do have oil leaks, and supposedly need tappet adjustment, as it sounds "throaty". Maybe I need a timing adjustment . but first I have decided to for a intake pressure test instead of compression test.

Tim

MQ MAD
15th January 2011, 01:11 AM
Roger,
Thanks for the insight
Sometimes we all get tired from the "nah shes buggered mate"
When its just plain lack of knowledge and a little tweek and all is well
Its great that it wasnt an expensive rebuild then find the problem still there

Tim,
Over fuelling
OR
Excess beer consumption happenin ???

Jarodl27
3rd March 2011, 11:54 AM
Thanks fot the info. I replaced all my injectors an did the dyno thing at the same time . No more smokies on starup

timn
15th March 2011, 11:22 PM
Great Post Roger,

I am trying to find a solution to the Black smoke my 3ltr is pumping out at the moment, its not always happening but every 2nd or 3rd day at about 2500rpm in second and third gear but no other gear. First i though it was a NT batch of diesel i got (By NT I mean below australian standard) but i has been ongoing now for the past 2-3 months, have since taken it on a 6000km drive and it hasn't got any worse or better. I was thining of maybe replacing the fuel pump but might check this option out first.

hyde79
18th March 2011, 06:13 PM
Roger
Sounds like the same problem I had with my GU2.8, pig to start hot or cold heaps of white smoke. There was a tech bulliten sent out by Nissan (So I have been Told) on hard starting probs with the GU way back. The fix was a new injector pump plate with a 5mm boss that changed the injector timing. Total cost $38.oo and about 25mins to fit.
My GU is perfect now, starts 1st pop, more power, and no more cranking over untill the battery is nearly flat, also no huge cloud of smoke once it got going.

lachiek
25th March 2011, 04:42 PM
Helpful post thanks Roger.

I've just had all my injectors replaced and found the smoke has cleared about 50% but I'm still worrying that I'm gonna get busted for pollution. I'll ask my mech about this injector pump wonder tool cause replacing the pump or rebuilding is serious $$.

Did you get improved economy after the fix?

patrolmak
18th April 2012, 06:13 PM
Thanks mate i think this is exactly my problem as i have done every thing else that this could possably be thanks mate.

sooty_10
10th May 2012, 06:20 PM
Was it just blowing smoke but running smooth? Mine blows white smoke on startup but is also very lumpy as though there is a cylinder missing, however once warm it runs relatively smooth again?

97_gq_lwb
10th May 2012, 06:58 PM
Is this the expensive tool your talking about .
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/DIESEL-PUMP-TIMING-TOOL-GAUGE-VE-ROTARY-PUMPS-/120905974199?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1c268ec1b7

GreenGQ
10th May 2012, 07:29 PM
hey Roger, what was the name of the place that you took it too mate, mines chugging black smoke aswell.