PDA

View Full Version : Gq Speedo adjustment to read correct speed

GQ TANK
23rd September 2013, 07:41 PM
I just adjusted my speedo on the GQ dash. I was sick of it reading 8km low at 100km.

Instructions.

Pull the cluster out -

You need to drill a hole in the TOP WHITE part of the cluster assembly.

1. Take a straight line to the top of the speedo cluster from the 90 Km mark on the speedo. Continue the line towards the circuit board at the back of the speedo.

2. 15 mm from the rear circuit board drill a 5 mm hole - in the white housing where the line above intersects.

3. If you have the hole in the right spot you will see a variable resistor when you look though the hole - there is only one on the speedo circuit board.

Re-assemble the cluster and install back into the GQ - leave the screws out.

To adjust -

Lean the cluster forward, use a long small blade driver and a tourch to see. Turn the trim pot - (does not need a lot of movement). male an adjustment and go for a drive.

Calibrate against a GPS - I had my son reading out the GPS speed while I watched the speedo.

I found that when I was holding the cluster with the display towards me

Anti-clock wise increased the displayed speed.
Clock wise decreased the displayed speed

The speedo is now reading 100km at 100km

jayisbikes
11th October 2014, 11:07 PM
thanks GQ TANK, I just fitted 285/75R16s so I'll give it a shot tomorrow :-)

jayisbikes
26th October 2014, 10:21 AM
Adjusted it yesterday. My potentiometer was located in line with the 95km/hr mark on the speedo. Easily found it by popping the front clear housing off the front of the instrument cluster. Thanks again :-)

off it
1st December 2014, 04:19 PM
I just adjusted my speedo on the GQ dash. I was sick of it reading 8km low at 100km.

Instructions.

Pull the cluster out -

You need to drill a hole in the TOP WHITE part of the cluster assembly.

1. Take a straight line to the top of the speedo cluster from the 90 Km mark on the speedo. Continue the line towards the circuit board at the back of the speedo.

2. 15 mm from the rear circuit board drill a 5 mm hole - in the white housing where the line above intersects.

3. If you have the hole in the right spot you will see a variable resistor when you look though the hole - there is only one on the speedo circuit board.

Re-assemble the cluster and install back into the GQ - leave the screws out.

To adjust -

Lean the cluster forward, use a long small blade driver and a tourch to see. Turn the trim pot - (does not need a lot of movement). male an adjustment and go for a drive.

Calibrate against a GPS - I had my son reading out the GPS speed while I watched the speedo.

I found that when I was holding the cluster with the display towards me

Anti-clock wise increased the displayed speed.
Clock wise decreased the displayed speed

The speedo is now reading 100km at 100km

Does anybody know if this is possible on a GUll?

Grzesiek3M
26th December 2014, 09:27 AM
Does anyone have some pictures? it would be much easier then....

Flex
22nd February 2015, 02:02 PM
Don't think it will be possible on the GU, they use a microcontroller (computer chip) to read the speed and move the dial. The GQ used all analogue circuits, that is why it has the potentiometer.

the evil twin
22nd February 2015, 02:05 PM
Just change the VSS drive cog in the gearbox to the correct number of teeth.
Easier, simpler, quicker but you are up for the cost of the dinky little gear.

Majestic
22nd February 2015, 06:05 PM
Mine is 5KM out since putting 33" on, so this is of interest to me. Thanks.

Does anyone have some pictures? it would be much easier then....

Yeah pictures would really help us novice types out.

tractor
15th April 2022, 11:23 AM
Thanks GQ Tank

Spot on. My cluster has already a hole in the right spot. Now to fiddle. Cheers Tractor