PDA

View Full Version : getting water out of diesel tanks

sme
12th January 2011, 10:15 PM
hi guys, sme again.....got water and general sludge build up in the diesel tanks of my GU 1998 patrol wagon....is there a good way to thoroughly clean the tanks out and what should I use to wash them out

Finly Owner
13th January 2011, 12:03 AM
SME this is your 2nd post and I for 1 have not seen an introduction. Please pop into Introductions, and tell us a bit about you and your Rig. This will get everyone who has followed this procedure on side. Then you will notice people help you out with your tech Q's.

Tim

Milik607
12th February 2011, 10:02 PM
Hi I've solved this problem. There are various products which stretch themselves into the water, and then normally burn engine, but I think it is good for the injection pump. The best thing is to remove the tank to be cleaned out and kerosene, and allowed to dry out the air to be blown out. I have had to make a stainless steel tank of 120 liters and made a drain plug. Best

Woof
12th February 2011, 10:27 PM
Come on SME, please post up your intro as Tim said, it's not that hard mate.

Woof
12th February 2011, 10:30 PM
Hi I've solved this problem. There are various products which stretch themselves into the water, and then normally burn engine, but I think it is good for the injection pump. The best thing is to remove the tank to be cleaned out and kerosene, and allowed to dry out the air to be blown out. I have had to make a stainless steel tank of 120 liters and made a drain plug. Best

Hey Milik607, please go here and post up an introduction, 28 posts so far and still have not completed an intro http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/forumdisplay.php?2-Introductions

the evil twin
12th February 2011, 10:57 PM
Metho... or was it Turps... no, no, hang on a minute mighta been Paint Thinners... Nah I'm sure it was Metho, drain it thru some bread to get the blue dye out... Oh, crap, thats in the N.T. if you want to drink it...

Honey, ... HONEY,... HONEY... E.T wants another Beer (hic)

szaf
14th February 2011, 12:30 AM
The blue dye in metho is usually Mauveine commonly known as aniline purple - to make it unpalatable to drink chemicals are added - methanol, acetone, isopropyl alcohol, methyl isobutyl ketone, methyl ethyl ketone and denatonium to name a few - metho mixes with water - so it should go thru the system without that stalling effect I have used it when I suspected water in the fuel tank - it seems to work but it could also mean that the system cleared itself before the metho mixed with the water - it wouldn't hurt to try.