PDA

View Full Version : Loosing drive

iceman
12th January 2011, 08:21 PM
Hi Everyone, I am new here so please try and be patient with me. I am a self employed Air Con tech, from the Uk, & will try to help out as best as I can if you have any questions.

I have a '90/'91 Safari 4.2D Auto imported from Japan. Lovely truck, great towing power. any way, I have just had a problem occur, where as it appears to have lost the drive to the wheels?. It starts off fine in D, 1, 2, or R, but after a few metres, it just loses all momentum, forward & Reverse ? Oil level is fine, rev counter appears to be working ok, but havn't managed to check the speedo yet. I have run through the self diagnostics, & it came back with 10 even spaced flashes so I assume all is well there.

I then went through checking the input / outputs on the Auto box ecu (left hand footwell) the only real anomaly, was, that pin 25 (rotation sensor output) should have approx 6V at idle ( i have 0.88V), and 7.5V @ 2500rpm (i have .21V) ?
any help gratefuly appreciated.

YNOT
12th January 2011, 08:45 PM
Welcome to the forum Iceman. It's always nice to post an intro before asking questions.
I moved your question so it has its own thread.

Tony

ripper
12th January 2011, 08:58 PM
Hi Iceman
Your problem is way beyond my know how, but I'm sure someone will be able to give you some help.
This is the introductions section YNOT is talking about
nissanpatrol.com.au Introductions (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/forumdisplay.php?2-Introductions)
You can give us some info about yourself and some general details about your Safari.

I was about to reply in the manuals thread, then I noticed your question had been moved to this section.

iceman
13th January 2011, 04:51 AM
Ooop's sorry

iceman
13th January 2011, 04:53 AM
Hi, thanks for the link. I guess I'll get the hang of this sooner or later.

boggy2006
13th January 2011, 03:49 PM
hi, welcome to the forum. Sorry I can't help, but I'm really interested in how you got it into diagnostic mode. I've tried following the Haynes manual, but can't do it. Thanks!

YNOT
13th January 2011, 03:53 PM
hi, welcome to the forum. Sorry I can't help, but I'm really interested in how you got it into diagnostic mode. I've tried following the Haynes manual, but can't do it. Thanks!

Does your manual have a list of the diagnostic codes and definitions?

Tony

boggy2006
13th January 2011, 04:25 PM
yes but it's at home (busy working now ;-), can post them if it's useful later.

-oops forgot last night, will try to remember tonight!

iceman
14th January 2011, 11:17 AM

Hi Boggy, This is how I got the test sequence on my Safari I hope it's of use to you and others on here. It sounds more complicated than it is if you mess up, just turn off the ign, & start over. Good luck. Please le me know if you need any other info.:1087:

To access the self test procedure you need to do the following in sequence:

1) Warm engine to normal temp.
2) Turn off engine.
3) Push the power/Auto button on the shift lever IN to put it into AUTO setting.
4) Move shift lever to 'P'.
5) Turn ign to ON, but NOT STARTED.
6) Check POWER LIGHT on dashboard comes on for 2 seconds.
7) Turn ign OFF.
8) Move selector to 'D'
9) Push power button so as it's OUT, to put it into the 'POWER' setting.
10) Move selector to the '2' position.
11) Push button IN to the AUTO position.
12) Move selector to '1' position.
13) Push button IN to 'POWER' setting.
14) Fully depress accelerator pedal & release.

What you should have now, is a series of 'Flashes' from the 'Power' light on the dashboard.
The sequence consists of- 1 long flash indicating the start of the self test.
This is then followed by 10 more flashes. Ideally, these flashes should all be short & of equal length.
If any of the flashes are longer than the others, then count it's position & check the list below which will give an indication as to where to look for the fault.

1. Check revolution sensor or circuit.
2. Check speed sensor or circuit.
3. Check throttle sensor or circuit.
4. Check shift solenoid 'A' or circuit
5. Check shift solenoid 'B' or circuit
6. Check overrun clutch or circuit
7. Check Lock-up solenoid or circuit.
8. Check fluid temp sensor & A/T control unit power circuit.
9. Check Engine revolution signal circuit
10. Check line pressure solenoid circuit.

Please Note:
You may well get 10 long'ish flashes, this is not a problem, it usually just indicates the Battery has been disconnected for a long time.
Battery low.
Battery is connected conversely.
(When reconnecting A/T control unit connectors. - This
is not a problem.).

If any one can explain to me in simple 'Pom' terms how to do it, then I will post the whole Auto box manual on here for everyone.

Good luck

boggy2006
14th January 2011, 03:17 PM
hi,

thanks for the instructions, they seem similar to what's in my Haynes manual (from memory), but unfortunately I still can't get it to work. Did you have any luck YNOT?

I get to 6 and the light comes on for 2 secs, are all the remaining steps 7-14 done with the ignition OFF? I've assumed item 13 should be Push button OUT to 'POWER' setting. Other than that, followed it to the letter, but I don't get any flashes. Is it ok if items 3 and 4 are already done when the engine is switched off (ie, it's already in Park and power button is set to auto? I've tried it both ways. Is the centre console (dash) switch not use other than to observe the flashes?

cheers

iceman
14th January 2011, 09:03 PM
sorry, it was late late night when I was typing these up.
After step 9, turn ign to start position (engine not running).

This worked fine on mine.
Any probs, let me know

Iceman

boggy2006
17th January 2011, 04:53 PM
excellent it worked, many thanks. First time I got codes 2 & 7 and the next few times, code 10. Hope you get your issue sorted. Only thing I can suggest is putting the Nissan D-matic oil in the box, if it's not there already. I've just tried it in mine and it sorted a very wierd whining noise I had (I'm hoping it won't come back). Perhaps it has magical properties....or at least it should have at that price!!