PDA

View Full Version : Extended lower trailing arms or factory length??

brad121
17th September 2013, 07:18 PM
HI ALL, IM STUCK IN AMONGST ALL THE CONTRADICTIONS ON WHATS BEST WAY TO GO ABOUT GETTING MY DIFF PINION BACK TO WHERE IT NEEDS TO BE.
HAVE THE SLIGHT BANNANA BEND IN COILS, AND DIFF SITS SLIGHTLY FORWARD IN WHEEL ARCHES, NOT TOO MUCH. I RUN A 99 GU WAGON WITH SUSPENSION STUFF 3" LIFT, SUPERIOR PANHARDS, DROP BOXES AND COOPER ST MAX 285/16. AS ITS N/A 4.2 DIESEL, IM SCEPTICAL ON GETTING 35"S COS THE HILLS WILL KILL ME.
BYUT I AM ABOUT TO PURCHASE NEW LOWER TRAILING ARMS FROM SUPERIOR TO GAIN THE EXTRA STRENGTH, BUT WETHER TO GO 10MM LONGER OR STICK TO STANDARD LENGTH AND EVENTUALLY REPLACE UPPERS TO ADJUSTABLES... :feedback:

MudRunnerTD
17th September 2013, 10:09 PM
Extended lower trailing arms simply defy logic IMO. If you consider the radius travel of the compression oF the suspension then Nissan designed the length of the lower so that under full compression the wheel is dead centre of the wheel arch. If you extend the lower arms then you throw this mathematical equation out the window.

Drives me nuts when I see that advice given and I appreciate that you would be getting confused about it mate.

Then you read that you have to do the rear quarter chop because the tyres are hitting the back of the wheel arch....... WTF!! That'd be the bloke with the extended lower arms that has pushed his tyres out of radius and into the rear panels. Silly. Illogical??

The Lower arm controls the radius of movement. The uppers controls the pinion angle. Adjustable Upper Control arms is the only way to sort it IMO.

Hope that helps mate.