PDA

View Full Version : Spammers trying to log into your account - Chat thread

AB
15th September 2013, 07:15 PM
EDIT: Chat thread created below for anyone who wants advise or talk bollocks about it...

Hi everyone,

We seem to be getting a lot of spammers trying to hit the forum with whats called a sniper attack on log ins.

Basically they are running programs to try and crack people's passwords and trying to log in under your username.

Nothing to worry about as we are all over it like a rash but we cannot stop them until I get a report from a member because they will get an email advising them that someone has tried and failed more than 5 times which locks you out for 15 minutes.

If you get one of these emails just forward it onto info@nissanpatrol.com.au and I will block their IP address. This will probably do nothing as they are most likely using a fake IP address but thats all we can do for now.

No stress, all they really want to do is access your account and post some crap up or change your profile a bit but I just want to advise you should have a password with a minimum of an unusual word and a couple of numbers to make it harder for them.

NissanGQ4.2
15th September 2013, 07:28 PM
Yeh it hasn't been me posting 10,000 useless bits of crap on the forum

My password was compromised after my first post saying it was 2 hard to post 2 times 2 get the manual ( glad it wasn't 25 posts back then ) *LMAO*

growler2058
15th September 2013, 07:34 PM
I never log out so can they eff me up still?

NissanGQ4.2
15th September 2013, 07:42 PM

I don't think it would matter if you're logged in or not, I can access my account on multiple devices which means anyone else could still log in while I'm logged in and change my details.

The best you can do is have a decent password with alpha / numeric and upper and lower case.

I won't be concerned, good luck 2 em if they crack my password using a random password generator or any brute force programs

AB
15th September 2013, 07:42 PM

Yeah I'm pretty sure you can log in on two different ip addresses at the same time.

Maxhead
15th September 2013, 07:44 PM
oh shit...sorry about that...bwahhahahah

NissanGQ4.2
15th September 2013, 07:46 PM
Yeah I'm pretty sure you can log in on two different ip addresses at the same time.

You can and you can also log in under the same IP Addy at the same time

taslucas
15th September 2013, 07:54 PM

Fortunately you're already effed up enough mate and there's no effing you up anymore, so you're safe me thinks!! Hahaha

Clunk
15th September 2013, 08:10 PM
make sure you passwords are a mix of numbers, upper and lower case letters and symbols..................... makes it nice n hard for the buggers

taslucas
15th September 2013, 08:24 PM
make sure you passwords are a mix of numbers, upper and lower case letters and symbols..................... makes it nice n hard for the buggers

So my password of: Lucas1234 is a good one then?

AB
15th September 2013, 08:25 PM

The 4 might be a bit too much you tin foil hat wearing freak...lol

Winnie
15th September 2013, 08:28 PM
The 4 might be a bit too much you tin foil hat wearing freak...lol

The government are trying to read our minds using microwaves man, the tin foil hat is justified!

Sent from my iPad using Motorculture mobile app

NissanGQ4.2
15th September 2013, 08:28 PM

I doubt it, you probably haven't even changed it after giving it 2 me 2 test ur account out how many years ago now *L*

Clunk
15th September 2013, 08:33 PM
The government are trying to read our minds using microwaves man, the tin foil hat is justified!

Yeah your hair are your aerials man

megatexture
16th September 2013, 12:17 AM
Farrk they must have no life! Or need a root, it Only takes me 2 min to change ip and a restart

NP99
16th September 2013, 12:28 AM

Key loggers find that easy to crack too. Changing your password often is a better option. My bank account was robbed of $10k a few years back the bank told me it was key loggers.

AB
16th September 2013, 06:45 PM
Hey blokes, thanks for your emails....Holy crap I just got a lot of your emails so this is a problem.

I just found a common trend with the IP addresses so I reckon I have knocked out a big portion.

megatexture
16th September 2013, 06:48 PM
How many you had so far?

AB
16th September 2013, 06:57 PM
How many you had so far?
About 12 emails today but I found a trend in them...

NissanGQ4.2
16th September 2013, 07:11 PM
About 12 emails today but I found a trend in them...

All the IP addresses are all located in a foreign country.

AB
16th September 2013, 07:21 PM

Russia same area too so they are not diversifying or using a complete different proxy either.

NP99
16th September 2013, 07:21 PM

Nigeria???????

AB
17th September 2013, 10:11 PM
We are getting absolutely slammed by these ferals, I've spent the last 2 nights fixing it.

Its pretty much coming from the same region in Russia and I know we have a lot of Russian visitors on here, a lot of them are not actively on here but they use this forum a lot for their own local forums.

I have an option to block out the entire region but I'm not keen on doing this so please keep sending the emails to me and hopefully they run out of energy and move on.

Otherwise I'll be left with no option but to bloke out this entire region of Russia in St Petersburg which is a mammoth area!

NissanGQ4.2
17th September 2013, 10:13 PM
We are getting absolutely slammed by these ferals, I've spent the last 2 nights fixing it.

Its pretty much coming from the same region in Russia and I know we have a lot of Russian visitors on here, a lot of them are not actively on here but they use this forum a lot for their own local forums.

I have an option to block out the entire region but I'm not keen on doing this so please keep sending the emails to me and hopefully they run out of energy and move on.

Otherwise I'll be left with no option but to bloke out this entire region of Russia in St Petersburg which is a mammoth area!

Anything I can do to held you out mate???

AB
17th September 2013, 10:14 PM
Thanks mate but not really, I just keep blocking them but I'm getting tired of doing it...lol

Maxhead
17th September 2013, 10:14 PM
кто ты, блядь, пытаются спамить нас

Clunk
17th September 2013, 10:15 PM
Haven't had any emails yet, they must not like me lol

AB
17th September 2013, 10:16 PM
кто ты, блядь, пытаются спамить нас

Who are you, damn, we are trying to spam???

Google translate didn't translate well...lol

Maxhead
17th September 2013, 10:19 PM
Who are you, damn, we are trying to spam???

Google translate didn't translate well...lol

Yeah!!! Fcuk it sounded good on my side !!!!

edit : woops,,,,i forgot the lol;

oncedisturbed
17th September 2013, 11:08 PM
I had 2 from Japan and 1 from Russia target the SWAT 4x4 website today, the platform shows up an error log for admins so it makes easier to follow up

Oh and 1 of the ones from Japan was from Trend Micro

93patrol
18th September 2013, 04:50 PM
Had some have a crack at mine last night sent you a message AB

taslucas
18th September 2013, 05:11 PM
How do you know if someone has tried to crack ya?

growler2058
18th September 2013, 06:04 PM

X2 how do we know?

Yendor
18th September 2013, 06:10 PM
I guess you may never know.

That's why is best not to send sensitive information via PM..........

Maxhead
18th September 2013, 06:11 PM

X2 how do we know?

I think this is your answer

Nothing to worry about as we are all over it like a rash but we cannot stop them until I get a report from a member because they will get an email advising them that someone has tried and failed more than 5 times which locks you out for 15 minutes.

If you get one of these emails just forward it onto info@nissanpatrol.com.au and I will block their IP address. This will probably do nothing as they are most likely using a fake IP address but thats all we can do for now.

AB
18th September 2013, 06:34 PM

Thanks mate ill get onto it when I get home.

Yes blokes if someone tries to log in and fail 5 times you will be locked out for 15 and an email will be sent to you with their ip which I need to know.

AB
18th September 2013, 08:21 PM
Hey mate, just replied to your PM. If you could forward that email you got from the forum about their details to info@nissanpatrol.com.au that would be grand thanks bud!

93patrol
18th September 2013, 08:26 PM
I sent you a message and the email I received cheers mate

Clunk
18th September 2013, 08:28 PM
Thanks mate ill get onto it when I get home.

Yes blokes if someone tries to log in and fail 5 times you will be locked out for 15 and an email will be sent to you with their ip which I need to know.

So does that mean if you never log off then you won't know? So to find out, I'll need to log out of all devices I'm logged in on then try and log back in at some point?

AB
18th September 2013, 08:28 PM
I sent you a message and the email I received cheers mate

All done mate and I think I got em all now, I'm over it so I blocked out most of their region, no other choice!

AB
18th September 2013, 08:31 PM
So does that mean if you never log off then you won't know? So to find out, I'll need to log out of all devices I'm logged in on then try and log back in at some point?

Nah you can be logged in on two different computers. In fact you can be logged in on two different browsers at the same time so they will still try and log in regardless of you being always logged in as well.

EDIT: I think I know what you mean....Yeah not sure how that would work actually. The 15 minute block would be based on your username not your IP address so if you were on the forum at the same time I assume the forum would auto kick you off and you won't be able to log back in for 15.

growler2058
18th September 2013, 08:31 PM
All done mate and I think I got em all now, I'm over it so I blocked out most of their region, no other choice!

Didn't block out wine_maker did ya?

AB
18th September 2013, 08:33 PM
Nah mate, they are over 5000km's away on a completely different IP range to the OP.

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=st+petersburg,+russia&daddr=Almaty,+Kazakhstan&hl=en&ll=49.781264,63.369141&spn=46.438,114.169922&sll=43.255058,76.912628&sspn=0.813139,1.783905&geocode=FUiGkgMde-DOASntZUrHjDeWRjH_joSrP2fHbQ%3BFRIFlAId9JeVBCmry8U WfW6DODF2bZitj2ZEPQ&mra=ls&t=m&z=4

Clunk
18th September 2013, 08:34 PM
Nah you can be logged in on two different computers. In fact you can be logged in on two different browsers at the same time so they will still try and log in regardless of you being always logged in as well.

EDIT: I think I know what you mean....Yeah not sure how that would work actually. The 15 minute block would be based on your username not your IP address so if you were on the forum at the same time I assume the forum would auto kick you off and you won't be able to log back in for 15.

Might give it a try later once I'm home

taslucas
18th September 2013, 08:46 PM
Nah mate, they are over 5000km's away on a completely different IP range to the OP.

its all just "up north" though isnt it?

lmoa

93patrol
18th September 2013, 11:32 PM
I only found out because I had an email on my phones lock screen when i woke up this arvo. But I worked last night and was logged in most of the night. It might have been while I was sleeping today that they tried

AB
19th September 2013, 05:39 PM
Thanks for everyone's help, I think Ive knocked most of them on the head now!

BigRAWesty
19th September 2013, 07:00 PM
Once again I miss out on the fun... :(

NissanGQ4.2
19th September 2013, 10:21 PM

You will still get notified via email even if you don't ever log off the forum

The email will be from info@nissanpatrol.com.au and it will be titled "Failed Login Notification on NissanPatro..." below is what will be in the email

"Dear NissanGQ4.2, ( your username instead of mine )

Someone has tried to log into your account on NissanPatrol.com.au Forum with an incorrect password at least 5 times. This person has been prevented from attempting to login to your account for the next 15 minutes.

The person trying to log into your account had the following IP address: 65.111.165.242

All the best,
NissanPatrol.com.au Forum"

The only other way you could tell is if you hit the what's new button and there is not a great deal there.............if there is hardly anything there then someone has recently tried to log into your account and failed 5 times

The Forum will NOT auto kick you out if you are logged in

Cheers

Toddie

P.S: Andy ignore my Failed Login Notification email IP addy, its a fake IP I used to test it

Clunk
19th September 2013, 10:41 PM
I got the failed login last night 15 times but only coz I tried to change my password then like a Muppet completely forgot what I'd changed it to.......... Oooops

NissanGQ4.2
19th September 2013, 10:53 PM

I got the failed login last night 15 times but only coz I tried to change my password then like a Muppet completely forgot what I'd changed it to.......... Oooops

Keep Andy, Ban his IP Addy *LMAO*

BigRAWesty
19th September 2013, 10:53 PM

Face palm..
Ow and you have a pm...

Clunk
20th September 2013, 01:00 AM
Keep Andy, Ban his IP Addy *LMAO*

wont help ya if someone has a dynamic IP!!!!!!! hahahahaha

Clunk
20th September 2013, 01:01 AM
Face palm..
Ow and you have a pm...

and answered .................. and yes I am a muppet, been reading too many of ABs exploits you see!!!!!! hahahahahaha

NissanGQ4.2
20th September 2013, 06:35 AM
wont help ya if someone has a dynamic IP!!!!!!! hahahahaha

Don't know how I got Keep Andy, it should of been quick Andy, Maybe I should proof read before posting!!!!!!!!!!

Clunk
20th September 2013, 09:08 AM
Don't know how I got Keep Andy, it should of been quick Andy, Maybe I should proof read before posting!!!!!!!!!!

It's ok mate, I got the gist of it. ....... You don't love me anymore!!!!!!! :(