PDA

View Full Version : query re v8 install & engine bay space

willie or wont-he
13th September 2013, 03:41 PM
hello -all
have not posted for a bit,but have been interested in comments re the chevy 6.5,s and have also had a look at the bullet diesel site,where they reckon the go is the cobra p400,which can be easily fitted with a turbo if wanted down the track.I was wondering if any members have had one fitted or know of any been done ? also with any of the v8,s fitted would the dual battery still be able to fit in the bay?
any comments welcome, thanks, bill

Gecko17
13th September 2013, 11:31 PM
G'day Willie, I have a 6.5l chev intercooled TD V8 in a 06 GUIV wagon, running dual batteries. The engine fits in pretty well although there is not a lot of room for too much else. I also have a air compressor in the engine bay as well so....

I researched both Brunswick and Bullet Diesels V8s and only went with the Brunswick because it was a deal I couldnt turn down. I wanted to supercharge it but apparently the heads have to be high=compression so just an extra cost.

Hope this helps.

FNQGU
14th September 2013, 05:10 PM
No doubt the Cobra P400, and the Bullet Diesel crew do a good job and have the higher spec'd engine.

For me, when doing my research and checking the boxes that needed checking, I found that I could not justify the extra cost v reward for going to the Bullet install. The Turbo'd Intercooled 6.5 from Brunswick is still expensive, but it definitely does what I wanted it for. More was just not necessary....yeah right, who am I kidding! It was too farking expensive is all!

FNQGU
14th September 2013, 05:31 PM
Seems Brunswick are also now doing the Cobra P400 HO installs as well. Choice can only be a good thing when it comes to price!

willie or wont-he
14th September 2013, 07:12 PM
thanks highlander & benk
The main reason i,m looking is that i tow a large van full time now & am in need of some extra grunt for those hills-----recently traded up to a 2012 3lt c.r.d. from the 2001 model which carried us well over 300,k ---just love the patrol apart from the lack of torque for heavy towing,and am thinking all the costs of chips, exhaust upgrades turbo upgrades etc etc may still not achieve what is needed as will still have a 3lt 4 cilinder engine,which is obviously limited in what it can realistically do!!
how long have you both had your v8,s installed & are you happy with the extra power----also from the info i got from bullet,they seem to be the sole distributors for the cobra high output engines here in oz,so i guess brunswick would source theirs from bullet ? thanks again for your input --most appreciated
cheers bill

FNQGU
15th September 2013, 11:58 AM
I went with mine for towing a large offshore boat, and it works a treat for this purpose. These engines are all about torque and towing is what they do best. They aren't high speed machines and aren't the quickest off at the lights or anything like that, but they will hold their own without difficulty. In the bush and slow stuff they are fantastic as well. I find myself idling though areas and over rocks etc. where previously i would have been working the accelerator and clutch a lot more.

If I had the funds, I'd probably go and look at the P400 option, and maybe also the automatic gearbox, however reality is that I am not about to do it all again and am more than happy with what I have got now.

I have no idea whether Brunswick get theirs from Bullet or direct from the USA, you'd have to ask. Both Bullet and Brunswick seem to have good reputations, but they aren't the only ones out there doing these conversions.

PattyWgnOwen
25th April 2015, 10:55 PM
No doubt the Cobra P400, and the Bullet Diesel crew do a good job and have the higher spec'd engine.

For me, when doing my research and checking the boxes that needed checking, I found that I could not justify the extra cost v reward for going to the Bullet install. The Turbo'd Intercooled 6.5 from Brunswick is still expensive, but it definitely does what I wanted it for. More was just not necessary....yeah right, who am I kidding! It was too farking expensive is all!

Bullet diesel went broke in 2014 took a lot of people's money.
I drive one if their p400 with a massive garret. Very impressed.
Bought a Duramax instead. Super impressed.

the evil twin
26th April 2015, 02:09 PM
As a full time tug a V8 Chev Patrol would not be my weapon of choice.
The current cost for an Optimiser conversion at Brunswick is over $35,000 so a P400 conversion will cost over $40,000.
They also drink like a wharfie at the company picnic compared to current generation engines.

I purchased my '99 Ute over a year ago and I threw out the 5 speed and had a 4L85 Auto Tranny fitted and it now drives awesome
I love mine but would never, ever recommend it as a daily for towing.
10 years or so ago, maybe, but not these days.

You can get a Y62 for a lot less than a Y61 plus Chevy conversion, have better performance, more comfort and be about 5 LPH better off on fuel than the Chev.

If you really want to convert your Patrol do so by all means but I wouldn't go Chevy 6.5