PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust Jack VS High lift

Bluecrab
10th September 2013, 10:32 PM
G,day, I do mostly sand off road, leaning towards a exhaust jack w compresser adaptor.
Weight, storage, usage are my issues.
Maybe run a poll on this? HA HA
Let the debate run its game? maybe old thread not seen yet.
Daz

MudRunnerTD
10th September 2013, 10:52 PM
There is plenty on this topic in these pages mate

High-lift-jack-or-Exhaust-air-jack (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?3015-High-lift-jack-or-Exhaust-air-jack)

Here is a better one

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?11257-Air-Jack-vs-Lift-Jack.-Or-other-alternatives

DX grunt
10th September 2013, 11:44 PM
This is what I've got.
It's the first lift and I was practicing. lol

http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af279/DXgrunt/020800x600_zpsb3997e3d.jpg (http://s1015.photobucket.com/user/DXgrunt/media/020800x600_zpsb3997e3d.jpg.html)

Whatever you decide, read and understand the instructions BEFORE commencing the lift, and treat the equipment with respect and use it safely.

Thinking about it.....an exhaust jack will provide a bigger 'footprint' in the sand. My main concern of using a hi lift on sand is stability of the jack when extended on a base plate. I'm concerned it may tilt a little way, or a lot. I'm more than happy with an exhaust jack. Both pieces of equipment require user vigilance and absolute safety and care, and should not be used in conjunction with alcohol - in any shape, form or quantity.

Rossco

Clunk
11th September 2013, 12:10 AM
This is what I've got.
It's the first lift and I was practicing. lol

http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af279/DXgrunt/020800x600_zpsb3997e3d.jpg (http://s1015.photobucket.com/user/DXgrunt/media/020800x600_zpsb3997e3d.jpg.html)

Whatever you decide, read and understand the instructions BEFORE commencing the lift, and treat the equipment with respect and use it safely.

Thinking about it.....an exhaust jack will provide a bigger 'footprint' in the sand. My main concern of using a hi lift on sand is stability of the jack when extended on a base plate. I'm concerned it may tilt a little way, or a lot. I'm more than happy with an exhaust jack. Both pieces of equipment require user vigilance and absolute safety and care, and should not be used in conjunction with alcohol - in any shape, form or quantity.

Rossco

That'll be the first time you ever got DX off road isn't it mate!!!!?????? Hahahahahahaha

End of hijack

NP99
11th September 2013, 12:49 AM
I'd carry both.

megatexture
11th September 2013, 01:05 AM
I use a high lift and agree they are deadly when used incorrectly, but would rather be caught out with a high lift over a exhaust jack. I also carry a 400x 400 x6 mm steel base plate for sand and works for me.

threedogs
11th September 2013, 08:04 AM
Hi lift jacks are dangerous if not treated with respect, as Mega mentioned you'll need a base plate for sand work. Always leave a hi-lift with the handle in the up position.
Modern 4x4 are not really made with a hi-lift in mind having being coil sprung you'll be lifting it for ages to get a wheel off the ground, but there are gizmo's to lift via the wheel,.
exhaust jacks on the other hand are perfect for sand work, practise how it works and where to place it, Only down side is storage being a little bulky, but great piece of recovery gear.
treated well should last for years.

mudski
11th September 2013, 09:09 AM
Get both and then you won't have to decide.... :)

TJsGQ
11th September 2013, 04:12 PM
I got a hi lift.. Kinda wish I get an exhaust jack first... As there are few places u can use the hi lift unless u have solid bar work.. But have got the hi lift tyre mate which is a perfect accesory to the hi lit..! But my advice for some would be to go an exhaust jack first..!

Bloodyaussie
11th September 2013, 05:08 PM
I think people really dont understand how to use a high lift properly including myself.... I would love to have a much better understanding as with towballs I am sure many people are hurt from these things also!!!

megatexture
11th September 2013, 07:08 PM
I've folded a high-lift in half, not a proud moment but ill share lol

I ripped a valve stem off on a track and my spare was puntured but I didn't want to fix that one just yet so I jacked up the front end using the stock bottle jack, removed the tyre and not having a spare to put on and stupidly being in a rush.. I started using the high lift to pop the bead while it was jacked up :1087:big mistake! While jacking on the bead the bottle jack slipped and the car dropped down on the rotor farking the bottle jack and bending the high lift like a banana scarring the shit outta myself and a mate who we had to use his jack to finish the job.

Stupid I know lmao but I now have a greater respect for how dangerous they are and take every precaution possible and don't Fing rush these things

mudski
11th September 2013, 07:38 PM
I bet that will sty in the back of your mind every time you see a Hi-lift too hey? In all honesty a hi-lift is good, if used right.
On our recent snow trip a Tojo spike a front tyre. Within minutes the hi-lift was under it and the car jacked up. We also had the winch from my car supporting the Tojo too as we were on a decline, not much but enough to make a hi-lift let go.
Come to think of it, that tyre was done and dusted quite quickly.
I have an exhaust jack but would like a hi-lift aswell as I still do see there is a use for them in some applications. Mostly an exhaust bag will do it all but on that odd occasion when the hi-lift will work better....What occasion? Dunno :)

MudRunnerTD
11th September 2013, 08:04 PM
On the recent snow trip Meetup Drew blew a tyre and we used my exhaust jack and had it changed in minutes. Unfortunately while it was up it was the base of the right shock mount cut a hole in it and it will need to be patched before the next trip. The bag comes with a puncture kit and if necessary I could have patched it then and there.

Big fan

MudRunnerTD
11th September 2013, 08:07 PM
For the benefit of the thread I have grabbed my post from the other thread.

Changing a CV in the bush with the Exhaust Jack.

http://nissanpatrol.com.au/images/Stripping%20the%20GQ/GQ%20CV%20rebuild/P1060048-2.jpg?t=1330756180

Would never go any other way. Note the wheel went under the car for safety and we ran the winch cable out to the side as we were on a side slope in this pic. Do that with a High lift or Bottle jack and feel safe? Good luck.

Imagine the same photo in a Rutting Mud hole or Sand???? Murphy's law will alway put you in the worst spot when you need to fix it mate ;)

Exhaust Jack 100% of the time, it is part of my Standard Recovery Equipment.

http://nissanpatrol.com.au/images/Stripping%20the%20GQ/GQ%20CV%20rebuild/P1060051-2.jpg

to do this with a Hi Lift i would have to lift the car from the front bar and allow for full suspension articulation to lift the wheel off the ground! That is a Long Way Up! Note the Exhaust jack is straight under the diff and the diff is nearly flat. all good and nice and safe.

**Note in the top pic that the rear suspension is not even articulating!! the car is nearly in a flat stance as it would sit in your driveway!! ;)

Winnie
11th September 2013, 08:26 PM
Modern 4x4 are not really made with a hi-lift in mind having being coil sprung you'll be lifting it for ages to get a wheel off the ground, but there are gizmo's to lift via the wheel,

Yeah I've seen them, but how often do you need to jack the car high enough that the wheel is off the ground, and then not remove that wheel?

Sent from my iPad using Motorculture mobile app

megatexture
11th September 2013, 08:27 PM
You can strap the axle to chassis to stop the flex when jacking With a high lift , with a exhaust jack once its pumped up you just turn the car off ? And it won't deflate ?

BigRAWesty
11th September 2013, 10:26 PM
You can strap the axle to chassis to stop the flex when jacking With a high lift , with a exhaust jack once its pumped up you just turn the car off ? And it won't deflate ?

I think they have a one way valve in them so I think you could turn the car Off..

AB
11th September 2013, 10:32 PM
I think they have a one way valve in them so I think you could turn the car Off..

Generally a one way valve along the hose about a metre from the device which can easily be popped off to release the air.

AB
11th September 2013, 10:35 PM

Or attach the rear stab using the nissan handle if you didn't remove it for a bigger lift.

Bluecrab
19th December 2013, 12:56 AM
Bought the MM exhaust jack, will do some practice 4 sure.
Cheers.

threedogs
19th December 2013, 06:55 AM
Just thinking a piece of carpet the size of your cargo area might be OK
to lay on top of the exhaust jack to protect it a bit from sharp edges,

Bluecrab
19th December 2013, 05:46 PM
Can they be used in horizontal and vertical position safely?

whiteute
24th February 2014, 09:30 PM
A Jack... jacks. An Air Bag is full of air/ exhaust. I have and use both. The air bag put a piece of thick ply top and bottom. Hi Lift your going to jack up.So think about that? I have a winch kit for the High Lift and buy a wheel lifter ( Strap and 2 Hooks)! GREAT!! I mean really what do yopu want to lift Suspended wieght bor the source? Be safe!! BIGJim's 2c worth.

Gecko17
10th March 2014, 04:35 PM
Hi guys. Just to throw in my 2cw, I have used Hi-Lift jacks for the last 30 years, including my time with the army as an engineer, building Bailey bridges and Medium Girder bridges as well as lifting houses up and off timber/concrete foundations. As you can imagine, the loads involved in those lifts were alot more than the weight of your average patrol. Heck, they were a lot more that a heavily modified patrol. The thing that I learnt most about them was that you need to have a very healthy respect for them. They are an amazing piece of equipment, when used correctly and treated with the respect they deserve. However, if not used correctly, they can be, and have been, lethal.

A whole lot of factors need to be taken in to consideration when using a Hi-Lift jack, most improtantly is stability, as if they are used on uneven/unstable ground, they are prone to sliding out under pressure. Another factor is if you use them steel-on-steel, on an unrated or weaker structure, they can again be prone to slippage or collapse. A lot of bullbars now have slots built in so that the jacks can be housed more safely. I have a dual wheel carrier on the rear of my patrol that has the lift slot on each outer side of the carrier. A base-plate for the jack should also be an essential piece of kit if you have the jack.

Having said that I am a firm fan of the Hi-lift jack, the question is would I have an exhaust jack? The answer is... Yes, I would. Carried with my hi-Lift. Knowing what I know now, if I had to choose only one to take, and knowing just how dangerous the hi-lift can be, it would be the exhaust jack.

I have never used an exhaust jack, but what I have heard and read, (Thanks MudRunner for your photos and explanation!) it would be an excellent piece of equipment to have. If I had no experience with the hi-lif jack then I would definately choose the exhaust jack, due to their ease of use and also the variety of terrain they are better in.

89gqpatrol4x4
10th March 2014, 06:08 PM
went to use my exhaust jack yesterday for the first time on the tracks, Well it didn't do much! "Note to self, must get that big hole in the muffler fixed" LOL!!!!!!!

LachDiggityDog
10th March 2014, 06:51 PM
went to use my exhaust jack yesterday for the first time on the tracks, Well it didn't do much! "Note to self, must get that big hole in the muffler fixed" LOL!!!!!!!

It's funny because your bald! :tongue:

the evil twin
10th March 2014, 09:46 PM
Can they be used in horizontal and vertical position safely?

Absolutely.

Used mine horizontally a couple of times.

On one occasion between a tree and the B Pillar to stabilise the car while we built a rut up.
On another to prevent the vehicle continuing to slide sideways while we changed a tyre that the incompetent driver (me) had popped off a bead.

Worked awesomely well both times, the vehicle didn't move a millimetre.
Because you only need a few PSI pressure you couldn't even see where the bag had been

patrolman123
20th March 2014, 08:31 PM
I love my exhaust jack its a ripper, bought it from arb and ive used it a bunch of times. Couldnt recommend them more

FNQGU
20th March 2014, 09:42 PM
Well, I can only say that although I have used exhaust jacks, and rate them highly, I wouldn't rely on one as your sole jacking method. My Bushranger Exhaust jack failed on its first use after sitting for about 5 years in the bag unused. Bushranger didn't want to talk to me about it as it was out of warranty. The seam down one side completely burst when lifting only a very light trailer as a bit of a tester before a bigger trip. Very disappointing.

The Highlift is very unlikely to fail in such a manner, but yes, you have to treat them with respect.

bindi
18th May 2014, 05:32 PM
thanks for this thread as it has answered a lot for me, and maybe generated a few more questions.

I have decided to go for an air bag jack and wondered if you guys could point me in the direction of which is considered to be the best. I'm not a hardcore 4wd'er but just want something i can stick in the bag and use if I ever need to.

So folks......which brand/model would you recommend (ideally less than or around $200)

cheers
Mark

MudRunnerTD
18th May 2014, 06:08 PM
I have always used one I got off eBay for under $100 and have no hesitation in recommending them to anyone.

FNQGU
18th May 2014, 09:12 PM
Given the differences in material construction of the two, and the experience I had with the busted seam, I personally would now never rely solely on an air-jack as my one and only jack for off-road use. Both are great in their own circumstances, and my work related air-jack experiences in the past particularly with trailers and beaches etc. were all good until my own air jack burst. I intend to carry both for anything serious, but if I had the choice of only one, it would now be the High-Lift.