PDA

View Full Version : GQ upgrade to later trannie??? What fits?

snakey1989
9th September 2013, 01:39 PM
Hey guys, got an 88 GQ with a dying auto behind it, and I know half of you reckon to change to a manual, but I loooove the auto off road.
Was wondering what later model trannies might fit easily, (I think its the tb45 one) as they are known to have fitted stronger converters and eventually another gear.
Is it a feasible / realistic option to convert it to a different box or do I just fork out the $2800 for a rebuild (less if I reco exchange I suppose).
I am a mechanic so I CAN do it, but don't know whether I SHOULD... :p

Any ideas appreciated guys (and gals).

taslucas
9th September 2013, 02:35 PM
Gday mate, Yep stick with the autos i reckon. If i was you i would recondition yours and then fit a Nomad heavy duty valvebody. I have one fitted on mine and it makes an awesome difference. They make the box a lot stronger and shift gears like a sports car with no flare or lag. Also help to hold the gear on a downhill. Type "heavy duty valvebody" or nomad" into the search bar top right. They are mentioned in a few threads.

GQ TANK
9th September 2013, 06:59 PM
if you reco the auto - also get your radiator reco - as a blocked radiator oil cooler will kill the auto

snakey1989
11th September 2013, 12:09 PM
Hey, thanks for the advice.
Already running separate oil cooler (I tow a lot and live in the Mountains) and radiator has been recoed too.
Can't afford to rebuild it at the mo, gunna have to put a second handy in it until such a time as money allows...

taslucas
11th September 2013, 12:12 PM
Hey, thanks for the advice.
Already running separate oil cooler (I tow a lot and live in the Mountains) and radiator has been recoed too.
Can't afford to rebuild it at the mo, gunna have to put a second handy in it until such a time as money allows...

If you can stretch the budget to fit a nomad valvebody from wholesale autos that would be the go and you'd still have it when you reco the box in the future. They are around $1000 exchange though so not cheap but awesome and ideal if you tow a lot

snakey1989
11th September 2013, 08:23 PM
Hmm, weighing up options. have the option of a TB45 auto, dual fuel write off with 212xxxkm on clock for $1500... Conversion here I come. With a write up and photos of course...
Well, I will if the driveline seems alright.

taslucas
11th September 2013, 10:18 PM
cheap enough mate.