PDA

View Full Version : MQ leaf spring conversion

nathankane1
9th September 2013, 08:36 AM
Hi guys would it be worth converting my leaf spring conversion to coil springs?

Thanks for any help

hamo65
9th September 2013, 08:53 AM
No buy a gq

nathankane1
9th September 2013, 08:59 AM
No no no got anything actually helpfully otherwise well I don't need to say it

See ya

hamo65
9th September 2013, 09:04 AM
That is helpful some things are not worth the time,money or effort

nathankane1
9th September 2013, 09:07 AM
Well I never plan on selling the MQ so nothing but time but I guess I see where your coming from

Thanks

nathankane1
9th September 2013, 09:08 AM
I guess we all like what we like your entitled to your opinion

MudRunnerTD
9th September 2013, 10:04 AM
Hi guys would it be worth converting my leaf spring conversion to coil springs?

Thanks for any help

No buy a gq

Assuming that both of you are here for more than the manuals I will comment here. Who knows.

Nathan, Hamo got it right. Nissan have already done the conversion for you mate. The MK and early GQ are very close to identical anyway mate that the major change was the coils! Significant change too. The panels near swap over they are that close.

If your head long commuted to the MK (not sure why given the GQ is Awesome) then buy a GQ rolling chassis for under $500 and dump your MK body on it. By far the cheapest way to get it done.

MudRunnerTD
9th September 2013, 10:06 AM
No no no got anything actually helpfully otherwise well I don't need to say it

See ya

I guess we all like what we like your entitled to your opinion

But leave your attitude at the door bud ;)

This is Not some junk Face Book Group

rusty_nail
9th September 2013, 10:22 AM
Assuming that both of you are here for more than the manuals I will comment here. Who knows.

Nathan, Hamo got it right. Nissan have already done the conversion for you mate. The MK and early GQ are very close to identical anyway mate that the major change was the coils! Significant change too. The panels near swap over they are that close.

If your head long commuted to the MK (not sure why given the GQ is Awesome) then buy a GQ rolling chassis for under $500 and dump your MK body on it. By far the cheapest way to get it done.

MR,

i dont think Hamo is here for the manuals, hes been here since Feb 2011 lol. nathanke on the otherhand...

MudRunnerTD
9th September 2013, 10:25 AM
MR,

i dont think Hamo is here for the manuals, hes been here since Feb 2011 lol. nathanke on the otherhand...

Yeah ta Rusty, i was on the iphone and could not really see that but on the computer now an see clearly. Hamo has been here a long time. He is a Lurker rather than a Poster and saw the pointlessness of the above conversion, Thanks Hamo.

Maybe Nathan will come back one day? He was done before i got here.

rusty_nail
9th September 2013, 10:28 AM
Yeah ta Rusty, i was on the iphone and could not really see that but on the computer now an see clearly. Hamo has been here a long time. He is a Lurker rather than a Poster and saw the pointlessness of the above conversion, Thanks Hamo.

Maybe Nathan will come back one day? He was done before i got here.

yeah im not sure mate, he started about 10 threads in about 10 minutes and went from 10-25 in about 20 mins this morning. tried reporting it but no one musta been on here.

haha yeah hamo is a LONG! time lurker... but its good to see him jumping in?

hamo65
9th September 2013, 11:25 AM
Not much to say mq/ Mk section a bit slow I don't post if it has already been answered

MudRunnerTD
9th September 2013, 11:29 AM
Not much to say mq/ Mk section a bit slow I don't post if it has already been answered

Good on you Hamo, Well its official mate, you have been here 2 1/2 years and you can now Download the Manuals mate ! 25 posts for Hamo! LOL. Just taking the pi55 mate, feel free to download whatever you like though bud.

Cheers MR

rusty_nail
9th September 2013, 11:32 AM
hahaha too funny. its good you have stuck around this long tho mate.

hamo65
9th September 2013, 11:49 AM
You will never hear from me again. I have the manuals

nathankane1
11th September 2013, 08:16 AM
Yea mate no worries

Thanks for your help

As far as attitude goes sorry going to defend myself, yea sure I want the manuals but my posts are all legitimate questions

Thanks for your help again

sickshorty
15th October 2013, 12:54 PM
Ive wanted to do this myself with my 84 mk shorty can it be done with the mk chassis and diffs or could I possibly need to make gq diffs fit?

sickshorty
15th October 2013, 04:25 PM
Either that or does anyone know where to get a 3-4" lift kit for the leaf spring suspension in the mk?

BigRAWesty
15th October 2013, 05:19 PM
To be honest mate pushing a shorty to those heights requires a lot of $$$ and setup time as the rear drive shaft has a huge angle to change.
Seen blokes fork out thousands chasing bad vibrations due to uni angles On the shaft with no avail.

Sure it can be done. Easier than a coil setup, just get springs reset, or shackles, and a new drag link.. But you'll also need to drop the gearbox and adjust the diff angle.

BigRAWesty
15th October 2013, 05:20 PM
In short ;) go a 2" lift and bigger tyres..

sickshorty
15th October 2013, 08:28 PM
What 2 inch kit woyld you recommend?

BigRAWesty
16th October 2013, 01:10 AM
If find most recommend Old Man Emu (OME). But not sure if they do a leaf setup.
Most leaf guys go shackles. Not legal I all states to check that out.
But if your happy with the ride of the MQ maybe a spring height reset is the best option for you.
Our local spring joint resets springs for between $50-100 each depending on how much work they need.
Best advice I can give is read up in it all mate.. Check out other Patrol forums to get a good range of info.
But don't rush it. Enjoy it.

MK160/1
16th March 2019, 09:38 PM
Have you thought about doing a Rhino 4 link conversion?

MB
16th March 2019, 09:49 PM
Spicer Springs in Bayswater- Vic I used many years ago to reset my old GU DX Leafy arse end springs.
Was recommended as the best mob around then and outcome was true to the word.
They’ve been doing exactly what seems you need for a long time and earnt their stripes then for sure, hope they’re still around[emoji106]

EDIT: Found them on McGoogle now moved to Knoxfield and still going strong 80 years now it says [emoji106][emoji106]

https://www.spicersprings.com.au/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

threedogs
17th March 2019, 01:19 PM
If you put 2" over stock extended shackles in the rear you only lift the back one inch.
you need to do front and rear to gain a full 2"s or you could if possible do a spring over coversion,
but probable illeagal these days check RTA in your state