PDA

View Full Version : First aid kits

threedogs
6th September 2013, 10:47 AM
Surprised there is no section dedicated to "FIRST AID" kits.
Anyway just brought a proper tin first aid box clearly marked so its easy to see.
It will have a pride of place in the Patrol. I have stocked mine to cover most camp accidents like cuts and burns. I'm also going to have an EPI pen, If you need one first see your doctor and get a script
as its normally $100 over the counter and $5 with a script and maybe cheaper again with a health care card.
I also have stickers on the rear of Patrol in case anyone requires a first aid kit, torch, or fire extinguisher.
If travelling further out Id modify what I take.

Woof
6th September 2013, 07:31 PM
Thanks 3D, one of the first things that I got when I bought my first Patrol mate

Clunk
6th September 2013, 07:35 PM
I got 2 first aid kits from COTD for less than $20 each................ pretty damn comprehensive kits they are too. Not bulky either, quite impressed. One is in my car and the other is in the missus car

Bloodyaussie
6th September 2013, 07:39 PM
Irish's wife worked for St Johns and set me up.... it stays in my car all the time!!

2TROLLFAM
6th September 2013, 08:14 PM
We've got a pretty comprehensive one too - Brads mum works in a chemist so got the ingredients (so to speak) for a full on $200 kit for next to nix.

Comes everywhere with us

Sent from my iPhone using Motorculture mobile app

Woof
6th September 2013, 09:35 PM
With Summer just around the corner, I hope....these websites are definitely worth checking out, I have just picked snake bite related info.
Print them out and keep them in your First Aid kit.
http://www.avru.org/firstaid/firstaid_pib.html
http://www.resus.org.au/

meh
6th September 2013, 09:58 PM
Always handy to know a paramedic

gaddy
6th September 2013, 10:29 PM
We've got 3 boat car and house , my sisters hubby is a pilot on a rescue chopper , so had made sure we got the necessary items , his big thing is make sure the any medications you need you have , and that that info is known to anyone traveling with you , they did a rescue off a yacht because a bloke left his medication at home , costs alot to keep those birds in the air .

NP99
6th September 2013, 10:33 PM
Probably the most important item is a pressure bandage.......the bigger the better.

2TROLLFAM
7th September 2013, 12:43 PM
And woman's sanitary pads are fantastic for helping to stop bleeding gashes !!!

+ you have spares for Mother Nature emergencies when woman are along :)

Clunk
7th September 2013, 01:42 PM

Well isn't that what they were designed and indeed used for !!!!!!????? ;):D

threedogs
7th September 2013, 01:42 PM
I normally get "STUFF" any time I'm in hospital, but elastic pressure bandage is next to go in my kit along with the EPI pen.
I did know about the womens item and yes very good a stopping bleeding, still need disposable gloves and tweezers.
Feel free to add any item as with the warmer weather arriving, so does the opportunity to go camping

2TROLLFAM
7th September 2013, 04:21 PM

Wondered who would be the first !! LOL

Clunk
7th September 2013, 04:37 PM
Wondered who would be the first !! LOL

I just had to....... its like a red rag to a bull Sharen :D

threedogs
7th September 2013, 04:43 PM
Was very tempting but only the brave tackle those issues lol
I swear by an ointment called UNGVITA great on cuts and burns

lhurley
7th September 2013, 04:52 PM
I normally get "STUFF" any time I'm in hospital, but elastic pressure bandage is next to go in my kit along with the EPI pen.
I did know about the womens item and yes very good a stopping bleeding, still need disposable gloves and tweezers.
Feel free to add any item as with the warmer weather arriving, so does the opportunity to go camping

Sun Screen. A little surprised no one had said anything as yet. As well as a first aid kit in my car, a bottle of decent sun screen has a permanent home. I have called on it many times while out off roading.

Clunk
7th September 2013, 04:59 PM
Sun Screen. A little surprised no one had said anything as yet. As well as a first aid kit in my car, a bottle of decent sun screen has a permanent home. I have called on it many times while out off roading.

Yep that's in me glove box

janderson
7th September 2013, 05:02 PM
I also have plastic skin in mine

threedogs
7th September 2013, 05:14 PM
as in the spray can style I take it.
Suppose some freeze spray would be handy too

MEGOMONSTER
7th September 2013, 06:14 PM
Here's my St Johns first aid kit, can't remember where I got it. I think the father in law gave it to me.
It's got all kinds of stuff in it. Some I hope to never use.

Stropp
7th September 2013, 08:07 PM

Ha ha clunk I was thinking that but not going there!

2TROLLFAM
7th September 2013, 08:19 PM
Ha ha clunk I was thinking that but not going there!

Just proves you guys are rudies!! I meant cuts and the like ;)

Clunk
7th September 2013, 08:27 PM
Just proves you guys are rudies!! I meant cuts and the like ;)

Hey, you're the one that said they stop bleeding gashes......... I was just agreeing with ya!!!!!! ;):D

oncedisturbed
7th September 2013, 09:06 PM

+ you have spares for Mother Nature emergencies when woman are along :)

Pads and Tampons are the best things to use as you mentioned for heavy bleeds like punctures / gashes etc, always kept some in my webbing more so for gun shot wounds but pads can be used instead of compress pads when needed.

I bought 5 of the same COTD kits the same as clunk and then butchered / combined them into each other and then added more again. I also got 1 of the COTD black 10 man kits as well that stays in my survival bag and has extras put in as well.

http://www.catchoftheday.com.au/event/27022/product/survival-10-person-traveller-first-aid-kit-in-black-180678

Gecko17
5th December 2014, 02:45 PM
Hi all. Saw this thread and thought that I would add my thoughts on this...

I normally take my trauma pack and oxygen when I go out on runs. Why? Because I have it and can use more things than a first aider. Do I really need it? Not really but as I said, I have it at home so might as well make use of it, plus, unlike first aiders, if I come across an accident, I am obliged to stop and render assistance.

(Some of) What I carry in my First Aid kit:-

Rubber gloves. (as I never know who I may have to treat.)
2 x Tweezers
2 x Desent Scissors
A decent Antibacterial creme. (There are several different types including ones with a mild anestetic in them.)
2 x pkts Splinter probes (I have both probes as well as syringe needles so usually just use those)
Quantity of "Wound Wipes". (I use alcohol wipes or "Iso-wipes". They sting but kill most bacteria on the skin.)
10cm x 10cm Combine Dressing pads
20cm x 20cm Combine Dressing pads (for the larger wounds)
1 x roll of Hyperfix or Fixomull stretch adhesive permeable dressing tape. (My absolute favorite for dressings. Hypoallergenic too.)
Quantity of Melonin Non-Adhesive dressing pads. (Combine these with the Fixomull tape and you get excellent wound dressings such as Primapore dressings.)
A magnfying glass (Great for old buggers like me as well as starting fires if needed)
A penlight torch
Sterile water. (I use Sodium Chloride either in the 500ml bottles or 30ml squeezies for irrigation. Cheaper to buy the bigger bottles but any clean water will do. With burns, secondary infection is the biggest concern.)
Instant Icepacks. (Great for soft tissue injuries... remember R.I.C.E.... NEVER PUT ICE DIRECTLY ON A BURN!)
15cm x 5 metre Compression bandages. (At least x 2. Great for Snake Bite. Normal badages are no good for snake bite as they do not apply enough compression, plus you can still strap a limb with a complression bandage.)
Steri-Strips (aka Butterfly stitches)
A couple of plain bandages for binding wounds.
Triangle Bandges for Slings.
Band Aids, including finger and knuckle dressings. (I make all of my own dressings using the Melonin and Fixomull tape. Try and stay away from the Elastoplast-types. They stick great but, in my experience, there are a lot of people that have reactions to their adhesive)
Quantity of safety pins.
Space Blanket. (I also carry a woollen one as well)

That should cover just about any situation.

A couple of things to note...

Sanitary pads are great in an emergency but don't forget that they are designed to absorb blood, not clot it or prevent flow.
Burns need lots and lots of (clean if at all possible) water. The old saying... "Seconds to burn, Minutes to cool." If all you have is dirty water ie a puddle, pond or river, that will do in a pinch. They will get cleaned up in Hospital and your priority is to stop the burning prosess.)
Spider webs can be used as wound dressings in an emergency.

Folks, this is just a basic list. If you have any questions about it, always happy to chat.

Agronaught
5th December 2014, 03:03 PM
That reminds me that I need to refresh my kit. Costs a mint but I have had to use it a few times and was damn glad I had it.

katwoman
5th December 2014, 03:21 PM
A kit is fine and all. But knowing how to use it could be handy.
First aid courses arent that expensive.
I have a level 2.

Agronaught
5th December 2014, 05:23 PM
I was a first aid instructor for a number of years. Not any more though.

Everybody should do a course. There have been trials in some countries to make a first aid certificate a prereq for your drivers licence.

Moozle2000
5th December 2014, 05:34 PM
Definitely the best thing to have in your first aid kit in Australia is a wide pressure bandage = Snake Bite Bandage.
I am an Emergency Nurse and I recently did a little research project on Australian Snake Bite management, and statistics have shown that no-one has died from a serious snake bite in Australia, who had a proper Pressure Immobilisation bandage correctly and timely applied!
Also good to have is some sterile Saline (salty water) sachets and lots of absorbent gauze, as the best practice for wounds now, is to keep it clean and moist (once bleeding is controlled that is).

Gecko17
5th December 2014, 07:22 PM
Definitely the best thing to have in your first aid kit in Australia is a wide pressure bandage = Snake Bite Bandage.
I am an Emergency Nurse and I recently did a little research project on Australian Snake Bite management, and statistics have shown that no-one has died from a serious snake bite in Australia, who had a proper Pressure Immobilisation bandage correctly and timely applied!
Also good to have is some sterile Saline (salty water) sachets and lots of absorbent gauze, as the best practice for wounds now, is to keep it clean and moist (once bleeding is controlled that is).

Absolutely.

Also agree with the first aid courses... the life you save could be your own or a loved one.

Moozle2000
5th December 2014, 07:26 PM
Yeah first aid courses are invaluable, even for trained medics, I still keep mine up to date and I like to know there is at least one other first aid trained person in a group if we go out on the tracks 4x4ing, cuz its always good to have some extra hands if things go wrong!

Agronaught
5th December 2014, 11:03 PM
On that it's time I did a recert. Last time I was disappointed at how much they have dropped from the certs to simplify them. I've learned so many different techniques for CPR over the past 30 years.

outback
6th December 2014, 01:28 AM
Just did a rerun of my first aid with St johns.. The changes over the years with CPR is a problem as i still remember some of the older methods and having troubles remembering the new cut down version..

Also went and upgraded the first aid kit.
I got their large leisure kit and it does not cover burns or bites. So added these,then more.

In general most off the shelf kits don't have everything you may need.

John, threedogs mentioned UNGVITA. well you can use any fish oil for the same thing, e.g. omega oil,(fish oil) capsules.

doka404
6th December 2014, 07:54 AM
Everyone bet me to it, but was going to say a first aid course is well worth doing..and in some was more important than the kit as you will see what you can use to make do.

I have two kits in my car, one is a large remote area kit for emergencies which also has a few caylume sticks, torch, batteries, a couple of little hand held UHF's etc in it. I also have quite a few triangular bandages as they are a multi purpose item, from splits (where you will probably need more than one or two)! To dressings, doughnut pads etc. A sami split is also handy to have. A texta is also handy..as well as pencil and paper. Quick Clot trauma dressing are also good.

The other kit is a smaller one and what i call the convienience kit, which has everyday items such as bandaids, sunscreen, insect repelent etc. Its a small kit that fits in the glove box. This is the kit that gets used all the time for general duty.

Also pays to check both kits every 6 months to make sure everything is still in date etc

The reason I have two, is so the convenience kit gets used for everyday cuts and grazes, and the main one is left in one piece.

With CPR if you want to remember the rythym(Paramedic mate told me this) , the easiest way is by remember the song Staying Alive..that's the right rhythm. Or if you don't like them, Another One Bites the Dust also works lol

Gecko17
6th December 2014, 10:52 AM
Folks, if money is no object, or you have access to equipment that the general public don't have, then you can pretty much carry what ever you like in your first aid kit.... The draw backs are thus:

1, You are more than likely never going to use 2/3's of the equipment you carry.
2, All items now have expiry dates on them. (and if you don't know what you can and can't use after their expiry, it's best to just replace the lot.)
3, With every item you carry, you have to know how to, and be allowed to use it. (Everyone can use a basic first aid kit)
4, First Aid kits can be damned expensive!

The best advice I can give is to think about the types of situations you are most likely to come across and epuip accordingly. Use the K.I.S.S. priciple. That and the old saying "Knowledge is the most important thing you can carry."

In my 30 years of attending various First Aid courses, the one thing I have found is that the face of medicine changes on an almost daily basis as the science improves. You just have to roll with it. (I am a remote area paramedic and everytime I do CPD, something has changed!)

CPR has changed so much over the years and will continue to do so. As Doka404 said, this is a great way to remember how to do CPR...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILxjxfB4zNk

RedRoadRunner
15th December 2015, 09:40 PM
My FAK is...everything you might expect +
First Aid Manual, a bit of light reading, and it can't hurt to have a ready reference if it has been a while since training...
Flares (not exactly first aid, but signalling is a thing)

Its true there's stuff in there you'll never use, but I use the bandaids, bandages, painkillers and antiseptic often enough to justify it...

threedogs
16th December 2015, 08:00 AM
OOI do they sell those blow up units for broken legs or are they old school now.
My Chemist sells snake bite kits for $30 but I think you could do better with $25 worth
of compression bandage. Happy to be wrong
I think cuts and burns are pretty common along with twisted ankles
all have happened on numerous occasions when camping/fishing.
Thankfully nothing more serious has EVER happened

Boinzo
26th February 2016, 06:29 PM
Just thought I would add my thoughts. I do (and always have done) a lot of hiking. I'm a landscape photographer so I often hike on my own in the dark into quite inaccessible places.

I carry a very small first aid kit. Everything in there is there for a reason because weight is very important.

My kit always contains a few things that most people don't necessarily have in theirs. So I thought I'd share them. These have all been used in anger!

- Super Glue (I replace this every 6 months). This is the single best emergency wound dresser there is I reckon. It stops bleeding instantly and can be used to close gaping wounds very easily. And it weights nothing. You can hold a wound shut and "draw" streaks of glue across it to create "stitches". Or you can just squirt it on. And it's water proof. Bandaids I use for blisters only. :-)

- Lignocaine Anaesthetic. This basically removes all feeling to an injured area. Very useful for removing big splinters or if a wound is so bad it creates debilitating pain. Lignocaine will give me 4 pain free hours to walk out! Also very useful instead of "stingose" which simply leaks everywhere and doesn't really work. Comes in a small tube that weighs 5g.

- Serious codeine based pain-killers like Panadeine Forte. Ask your GP for a script that you can use to put some in your kit. Serious pain impairs judgement and limits your survival time. Broken ankles or bones can't be treated with Lignocaine!

- Aquatabs. So I can purify water if need be.

A good and well thought out first aid kit is a total must! As has already been mentioned - you need to think about how you would actually use each item.

threedogs
26th February 2016, 06:56 PM
Is that lignocaine a script only medicine.

Boinzo
26th February 2016, 10:07 PM
Is that lignocaine a script only medicine.

No mate. Over the counter at the pharmacist...

PeeBee
7th February 2019, 02:52 PM
I have a pretty comprehensive first aid kit on board, including a snake and spider kit. Recently was offered this additional bandage which is very clever. The challenge is knowing just how much pressure to put on a limb to restrict the flow, however these bandages have a printed rectangle which distorts to a square shape, and when you get to the square shape, you are within the ballpark for the correct pressure - brilliantly simple. i bought another for the snake kit I have just on the basis that a limb may require more than one bandage, and a third i will take with me as a carry along when out in the scrub at the mine as we have a healthy death adder population out there and at times they are moving around the camp as well. Money well spent I reckon.

https://www.survivalfirstaidkits.net.au/smart-snake-bandage

DX grunt
9th February 2019, 11:26 PM
I did a First Aid Course in May last year with St John Ambulance. I think it's the new name for Senior First Aid.
HLTAID001 - Provide cardiopulmonary resuscitation
HLTAID002 - Provide basic emergency life support
HLTAID003 - Provide first aid

rusty_nail
9th February 2019, 11:29 PM
I have a pretty comprehensive first aid kit on board, including a snake and spider kit. Recently was offered this additional bandage which is very clever. The challenge is knowing just how much pressure to put on a limb to restrict the flow, however these bandages have a printed rectangle which distorts to a square shape, and when you get to the square shape, you are within the ballpark for the correct pressure - brilliantly simple. i bought another for the snake kit I have just on the basis that a limb may require more than one bandage, and a third i will take with me as a carry along when out in the scrub at the mine as we have a healthy death adder population out there and at times they are moving around the camp as well. Money well spent I reckon.

https://www.survivalfirstaidkits.net.au/smart-snake-bandage

is that purple onesie part of your first aid/survival kit too?

PeeBee
10th February 2019, 12:29 AM
Yes, its part of my mental health kit! - sub section 3C