PDA

View Full Version : Very Bad Steering Vibration

Cadbury
10th January 2011, 12:45 PM
Hi all,
I hope someone can help.
I have developed a very bad steering vibration . It happens when driving at about 60km/h and more and going over a bump. The steering shakes like mad and the only thing to stop it is slowing down to about 15km/h.
Any ideas?

Bigrig
10th January 2011, 01:11 PM
Hey mate - have you checked bushes/rubbers on panhards, leading arms, swaybars, steering arm etc? Thrown any weights off the rims (with all this rain/potholes everywhere, it's possible)?

Cadbury
10th January 2011, 01:15 PM
Hi Bigrig,
I had the leading arm bushes replaced when I did the lift to correct the caster.
I will go get alignment done today. Maybe thye will be able to tell me if its the wheel bearings or the tie rod ends.

Bigrig
10th January 2011, 01:25 PM
Good luck with it mate - let us know the culprit once identified!!

YNOT
10th January 2011, 02:33 PM
Sounds like panhard rod bushes to me.

Tony

Cadbury
10th January 2011, 05:12 PM
The wheel and tyre place said its my steering damper that is leaking. Does this sound right?

Bigrig
10th January 2011, 05:26 PM
I didn't think that would account for a "wobble" at speed (Tony??) - understand if the damper is shot it could be harsh through the steering, but haven't got a clue about causing a wobble as such ...

YNOT
10th January 2011, 05:42 PM
Steering damper won't cause a wobble, but a good damper will help mask a wobble caused by something else.
If the damper is leaking, replace it. But it won't fix the wobble.

Tony

Dhuck
10th January 2011, 05:55 PM
As Tony has stated sounds like Panhard. Unless the wheel bearings are dangerously loose or shagged all you will get from them is a shimmy. Just replaced the panhard in my brothers GQ as one of the rodends were stuffed. He now has an adjustable. The advantage of the adjustable is you can replace the rodends instead of the complete unit.

YNOT
10th January 2011, 06:33 PM
As Tony has stated sounds like Panhard. Unless the wheel bearings are dangerously loose or shagged all you will get from them is a shimmy. Just replaced the panhard in my brothers GQ as one of the rodends were stuffed. He now has an adjustable. The advantage of the adjustable is you can replace the rodends instead of the complete unit.

Are you talking about the panhard or drag link? Panhards have bushes not rod ends.

Tony

GUte
10th January 2011, 08:04 PM
Noob question alert but which one is which?

YNOT
10th January 2011, 08:38 PM
Panhard rod locates the diff across the vehicle. One end is bolted to the chassis, the other to the diff.
Drag link is the steering arm in front of the diff. One end is connected to the pitman arm (steering box) and the other to the LH swivel hub (on RH drive Patrols).

Tony

Dhuck
10th January 2011, 08:52 PM
Are you talking about the panhard or drag link? Panhards have bushes not rod ends.

Tony

Sorry my bad to many things happening around here today. Check the rod ends on drag link.

Bigrig
10th January 2011, 09:06 PM
Sorry my bad to many things happening around here today. Check the rod ends on drag link.

Yeah, nice job confusing things dhuck ... I'm amazed we aren't still in that forest 4 weeks later, seeing as you were in front!!! *LMFAO* ...

Dhuck
10th January 2011, 09:27 PM
I am quite disgusted in my self. I spent close to 20 years in the suspension, steering and tyre industry. Now if you will excuse me I am going to beat myself up over this tragic mishap. Never again do I try to clean turtle tanks, house windows, general house duties and deal with a 5 year old that cant go outside because it is raining to much.

YNOT
10th January 2011, 09:31 PM
Don't beat yourself up over it Dhuck.............that's our job!

Tony

Dhuck
10th January 2011, 09:36 PM
Don't beat yourself up over it Dhuck.............that's our job!

Tony

Thanks mate will keep it mind. rofl.

Finly Owner
10th January 2011, 10:52 PM
Panhard rod locates the diff across the vehicle. One end is bolted to the chassis, the other to the diff.
Drag link is the steering arm in front of the diff. One end is connected to the pitman arm (steering box) and the other to the LH swivel hub (on RH drive Patrols).

Tony

Except those that don't have panhards, left or right hand drive.

adamg
20th January 2011, 09:19 PM
I've just had to replace quite a few suspension components to sort out a similar steering vibration/slop. The main culprit was very badly worn drag link ends (took 14 years to wear out though), the speed wobbles it would get hiting a bump were scary. New adjustable drag link, 4 x shocks, steering dampener, radius arm bushes and it is like a brand new car. The poor old shock absorbers weren't doing much absorbing...lol..

Adam

boggy2006
20th January 2011, 10:09 PM
I had a bad vibration at 100kph. Found my front wheel bearings were loose (could rock the wheel). Stripped them down and tightened the nut until the play was gone and wheel still freely rotated and it improved greatly. Strangely a 2" lift eliminated it!!

Cadbury
4th February 2011, 09:31 AM
Thanks guys, The new damper has helped a lot, but there is still a slight wobble. Does anyway know where the cheapest place is to get an adjustable drag link bar, even if its second hand I do not mind as I can swop the ends with new ones.
How difficult is it to adjust the wheel bearings as I might do this too.

Tornado
4th February 2011, 11:13 AM
If the damper is leaking, replace it. But it won't fix the wobble.

Tony

Too true. Wheel bearings are pretty easy to adjust. A manual for your model will give you the run down on disassembly and re assembly. Not a great deal to it

Cadbury
10th February 2011, 09:48 PM
Well every mod I do makes such a big difference. First was the leaking damper, then Panhard rod. Last night was tie rod ends.
Only thing left are drag link bar and wheel bearings. Man its going to be like a new truck soon.

simongnz
22nd March 2011, 02:36 PM
Good to hear. My GQ had a savage vibe that turned out to be a knackered panhard bush. I'd had three separate guys look for the source of the vibration and try different things all to no avail. The knackered bush couldn't be seen without disassembly.