PDA

View Full Version : Headlights for GQ??

tracemul7
10th January 2011, 10:54 AM
Hey All,

While we were away, one of the headlights went on the patrol. But it appears it is a sealed beam unit, which must be the original one (not bad for 1997).

So anyone got any advice about what they have/haven't used??

We like the look of the headlights with the LED ring around the outside for the side-lights (pimp my patrol hahaha).

Any suggestions?

Trace

Bigrig
10th January 2011, 10:57 AM
Hey mate - literally just replaced my sealed beams with a Narva driving light kit - white light halogens and they are FAR superior on road both on standard and high beam than the sealed units. You'll need to weigh up the decision yourself as the only problem with not having sealed beams is water crossings tend to blow the bulbs (I just carry a spare) - but if you really aren't doing that much in the way of water, compared to the amount of night driving you do, then I can fully recommend the set I have just purchased - think they were $140 for the pair.

Dhuck
10th January 2011, 11:01 AM
Mate my Pigtrol has H4 35w HID upgrade. The light is great. High beam is shall I say bloody bright. Get plenty of ppl flashing me when they on low beam. Don't think I really need the spotties that I have just put on it but hey nothing wrong with overkill.

tracemul7
10th January 2011, 12:10 PM
Anyone got any links to info on these?
is it these ones http://www.narva.com.au/products/browse/free-form ??

the evil twin
10th January 2011, 12:31 PM
Mate my Pigtrol has H4 35w HID upgrade. The light is great. High beam is shall I say bloody bright. Get plenty of ppl flashing me when they on low beam. Don't think I really need the spotties that I have just put on it but hey nothing wrong with overkill.

Then do everyone a favour and adjust your lights... and no I'm not anti-HID's as I had them on my GQ and run 4 HID spotties on my GU.

Just pleading for people that do the HID Mod to recognise a duty of care to other road users plus not draw the crabs to all of us.

Dhuck
10th January 2011, 01:16 PM
Then do everyone a favour and adjust your lights... and no I'm not anti-HID's as I had them on my GQ and run 4 HID spotties on my GU.

Just pleading for people that do the HID Mod to recognise a duty of care to other road users plus not draw the crabs to all of us.

If I point them any lower they will be pointing straight down. Maybe just has a slight issue of the height of the vehicle. You wanna pay for a suspension and tyre downgrade? The pigtrol is rarely driven at night anyways. It is a toy not a daily driver.

Bigrig
10th January 2011, 01:23 PM
If I point them any lower they will be pointing straight down. Maybe just has a slight issue of the height of the vehicle. You wanna pay for a suspension and tyre downgrade? The pigtrol is rarely driven at night anyways. It is a toy not a daily driver.

You'd need a step ladder to get up and adjust them anyway mate!!! LOL ...

Dhuck
10th January 2011, 01:25 PM
Near on mate. Did before it was lowered.

GUte
10th January 2011, 02:07 PM
I like these for the GQ, just need some globes and maybe the plug to connect them to your original wiring?
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Nissan-Patrol-Maverick-GQ-MQ-7-Round-Clear-Head-Lights-/230392715698?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item35a479d9b2

the evil twin
10th January 2011, 03:29 PM
I treid almost every combination of lighting and reflector on my GQ over the years 'cause i luv to tinker.

The best thing you can do on a GQ for ANY incandescent application (IE anything but HID's) is put in a set of relays and larger wires for the headlights so they get some decent current. NOTE, no need to do the wiring if you run HID's. Costs about $20 to DIY or you can buy kits

Then IMHO replace the sealed beams with 7 inch Hella/Narva/whoever semi-sealed reflector assy's or equivalent. Don't go for the exotic magnifying jobbies, the crystal lights, the clear lenses or the ones with black reflectors etc, tried 'em all and none were as good or threw a terrible pattern taht threw light everywhere.

Next thing is Bulbs... either a Narva or Phillips +50 or +70 or better incandescent bulb OR a HID kit if you are happy with HID's. That is the reason I suggest standard lenses with the diffuser pattern in them and not clear lenses. It means you can swap around to your hearts content without too much change in light pattern.

I also tried hi-power (illegal but Pffft what isn't when it comes to mod's) bulbs as high as 90/130's and as far as incandescents go the " + " series of bulb on the market is equally as good and doesn't use anywhere near the power. NOTE if you do use hi wattage bulbs you MUST upgrade the standard GQ wiring or it will slowly but surely destroy your stalk switch and headlight connector plugs and possibly the factory wiring.

Purely my opinions but gathered from personal dicking around and opinions of other Clubbies on my light performance... and my weapon of choice would be Hella, semi sealed reflectors with 55 Watt HID's in 4300 (not 6000) colour OR a wiring upgrade and +70 bulbs if you want to stay 100% legal

MudRunnerTD
11th January 2011, 12:50 AM
I like these for the GQ, just need some globes and maybe the plug to connect them to your original wiring?
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Nissan-Patrol-Maverick-GQ-MQ-7-Round-Clear-Head-Lights-/230392715698?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item35a479d9b2

I have fitted these to the GQ and FLAT OUT HATED THEM =====>>Even with a 35w HID kit ==> Hated them and took them out. Sorry mate, they were terrible, nice decoration but useless.

I treid almost every combination of lighting and reflector on my GQ over the years 'cause i luv to tinker.

The best thing you can do on a GQ for ANY incandescent application (IE anything but HID's) is put in a set of relays and larger wires for the headlights so they get some decent current. NOTE, no need to do the wiring if you run HID's. Costs about $20 to DIY or you can buy kits

Then IMHO replace the sealed beams with 7 inch Hella/Narva/whoever semi-sealed reflector assy's or equivalent. Don't go for the exotic magnifying jobbies, the crystal lights, the clear lenses or the ones with black reflectors etc, tried 'em all and none were as good or threw a terrible pattern that threw light everywhere.

Next thing is Bulbs... either a Narva or Phillips +50 or +70 or better incandescent bulb OR a HID kit if you are happy with HID's. That is the reason I suggest standard lenses with the diffuser pattern in them and not clear lenses. It means you can swap around to your hearts content without too much change in light pattern.

I also tried hi-power (illegal but Pffft what isn't when it comes to mod's) bulbs as high as 90/130's and as far as incandescents go the " + " series of bulb on the market is equally as good and doesn't use anywhere near the power. NOTE if you do use hi wattage bulbs you MUST upgrade the standard GQ wiring or it will slowly but surely destroy your stalk switch and headlight connector plugs and possibly the factory wiring.

Purely my opinions but gathered from personal dicking around and opinions of other Clubbies on my light performance... and my weapon of choice would be Hella, semi sealed reflectors with 55 Watt HID's in 4300 (not 6000) colour OR a wiring upgrade and +70 bulbs if you want to stay 100% legal

^^^^^^^ What he said.

I run HID 35w HiLo with the cap removed but mine is not a daily driver and i am very conscious of the lights when out at night.

My 2c

GUte
11th January 2011, 10:50 AM
Well its good to know they're useless. My mate is in the market for some and know I now not to bother ordering those for him

adamg
19th January 2011, 07:58 PM
Mate, I went through the same about 6 years ago with my 1997. Ended up replacing the sealed beams with Narva's so the bulbs are replaceable. Wasn't a difficult job and I ended up with better lights and was within my limited budget back then.

Adam

Mrowka
20th January 2011, 05:10 AM

OK, I have hi-wattage IPF bulbs in my 1994. I take it I will have to upgrade the standard GQ headlgith harness.

How do I do that?

YNOT
20th January 2011, 06:46 AM
There are companies in Australia that make plug in headlight harnesses, otherwise you can get a local auto electrician to make a harness for you.

Here is a link to an Australian made headlight loom; http://piranhaoffroad.com.au/index.php/default/headlights-driving-lights/2-headlight-super-loom.html

Tony

adamg
20th January 2011, 07:39 AM
OK, I have hi-wattage IPF bulbs in my 1994. I take it I will have to upgrade the standard GQ headlgith harness.

How do I do that?

If you are a bit handy with electrics this is one simple way. Use the wires that currently go to the headlight to to control the coil of a 12Vdc auto relay and run larger wires (say 2.5mm2) from battery via a fuse or circuit breaker through the switching contacts of the relay to the headlight. It's not that big of a job and if you don't cut the origional wires shorter it can easily be put back to standard if required.

Adam

the evil twin
20th January 2011, 12:04 PM
Pretty much what Tony and Adam said... if you google 'GQ headlamp loom upgrade' you will get lotsa hits if you wish to buy a "plug and play" loom and relay setup.

If you are even halfway handy with electrical stuff you can DIY from scratch. Just think of the Headlamps as if they were Spotties. Use one of the existing Headlight plugs to act as the control for Relays (RHS is easiest) and run 'power' wiring from these 'new' Hi and Lo beam Relays to the lights. There is usually enough room in the existing Relay Box (under the flat black plate beside the battery) to mount the Relays so it looks nice and professional

Mrowka
22nd January 2011, 12:01 AM
Muchas thankees, you all!

scrawn
23rd January 2011, 12:37 PM
i would recommend a loom upgrade.
the wiring they use for the headlights in the gq is small. like something for the indicator it is.
just done mine a major improvement