PDA

View Full Version : My roof console

macca
5th September 2013, 09:53 AM
I'm having a go at making a console. The pics and topic are from my phone so here's hoping.

macca
5th September 2013, 10:02 AM
Looks like its loaded.
It's made from 6mm customwood and will be upholstered when ready.

The front has recesses for the visors and small storage pockets each side.

The "T" has a pocket on the passenger side, and a void for cabling on the drivers.

A stainless panel will look after all the switches etc.

The UHF remote head sits where the two parts meet.

Fuses & UHF radio itself are in the void between the visors. It hinges from the front for access.

Going to take a while but will tidy things up for sure.

Winnie
5th September 2013, 10:09 AM
Very very tidy macca! Me like!

Sir Roofy
5th September 2013, 10:24 AM
Haha just the place to loose all those ratling annoying little things
that you know are up there but cant quite put your hand on lol
macca then theres that sneaky hump you missed and a head banging
expeirence
looks good mate

threedogs
5th September 2013, 10:50 AM
Looks great had an overhead console in the "other" 4x4x and found it needed netting across the front.
Stuff was bouncing out all the time, It was fitted inside with elastic top and bottom,
hate to see you lose your wallet if ever you stored it up there M2cW

macca
5th September 2013, 10:56 AM
Yeah Roofy.

I am a bit worried about copping a head butt......:1087:

macca
5th September 2013, 11:00 AM
John I did plan to fit some sort of net with shock cord around it, the front pockets have no lip so head up a hill and it will all end up on my lap!!!

Any ideas of suppliers gratefully accepted.

Having trouble finding some map / courtesy lights if you have any ideas. Was going to the auto wreckers tomorrow, they might have something.

threedogs
5th September 2013, 11:04 AM
I used cargo nets off seat pockets from 737, my mates work at "Q" mart,
but a spring loaded flap might work as well,

Cuppa
5th September 2013, 11:27 AM
Yeah Roofy.

I am a bit worried about copping a head butt......:1087:

Impressively neat looking job Macca, but I reckon some well padded upholstery might needed in the vicinity of the Macca bonce!
Btw, someone has to tell you.......... you have your priorities all wrong, instead of spending your time constructing el neato consoles you should be composing stories of your adventures to go with all the pics I'm sure you'll be posting for our delectation in the not too distant future. ;)

Cuppa

threedogs
5th September 2013, 12:43 PM
Try looking for 6watt bulls eye led , small neat and throw out a heap of light, only the size of a 10c piece, cheap too

macca
5th September 2013, 03:57 PM
Cuppa the dog eat my trip report

megatexture
5th September 2013, 04:40 PM
Looks good! so when you go into production what sort of prices will we be looking at ? Might need to put me down for one lol

BigRAWesty
5th September 2013, 05:53 PM
Very neat mate.. Inspiration to get mine rolling.. I see you screwed most of it.. Glue aswell I'm guessing.

macca
5th September 2013, 06:44 PM
Very neat mate.. Inspiration to get mine rolling.. I see you screwed most of it.. Glue aswell I'm guessing.

Westy it was screwed to hold it together while the glue dried then pop rivet's replaced the screws for a flush & strong finish.

There is 10x10x2 angle aluminium in all the riveted corners for strength. Even curved a couple of bits that follow the roof line to keep it all rigid. Thought I did a good job bending it and keeping it straight.

macca
5th September 2013, 06:47 PM
Looks good! so when you go into production what sort of prices will we be looking at ? Might need to put me down for one lol

Mega it has taken me days to get it to this stage, next one should be quicker if I did it again.

There is lots of scrap it and start again's in the bin LOL

No wonder they are so expensive to buy retail.

megatexture
5th September 2013, 07:36 PM
I can imagine, a roof console is a hell of a lot more complicated than a typical rear draw system cant wait to see the final product ! Its amazing how many people think a layer of carpet will fix it lol

macca
6th September 2013, 07:50 PM
Got a twin interior light from the wreckers, has eye ball directional lights from an AU II falcon I think for $10.00.

Also bought a GME schmick looking small flush mount speaker for the UHF $23 from the local 4x4 shop.

Bad news is upholsterer is not able to do his magic for a month...... and it will take a day. Best use the time to save the penny's then.

sil3nt_dr3ams
21st September 2013, 08:43 AM
Why not smooth everything, countersink bog the holes. Sand it prime it and then 2 pac it?

threedogs
21st September 2013, 09:12 AM
For ideas only,,,, some strip Led would fit well on the upper inside edge.

macca
21st September 2013, 09:18 AM
Why not smooth everything, countersink bog the holes. Sand it prime it and then 2 pac it?

Mate you are on to me, bought some bog to clean up the surfaces and am going to paint it matt black, did a rough matt finish on it and it looks Ok as most of it is out of sight and in the roof lining you don't really look at it.
Figured an upholsterer would cost $500.00ish so gave that idea away.

macca
21st September 2013, 09:19 AM
For ideas only,,,, some strip Led would fit well on the upper inside edge.

TD you are on to me as well, have some strips about 400mm long left over from a job that I was thinking of using, you blokes are good LOL

sil3nt_dr3ams
21st September 2013, 09:54 AM
mate get some 3 in 1 water based primer from bunnings brush it on. 3 coats should do it let it dry in the sun a few days. sand it back with 240-360 white sand paper then re bog what needs to be done. Prime sand again then lay some coats of color on it. Bit of stuffing around but its worth the effort.

BigRAWesty
21st September 2013, 02:53 PM
Ok I was thinking a grey carpet, but you've sold me on the paint..

BigRAWesty
21st September 2013, 02:56 PM
Also what points have you used to anchor the console up?
I know the rails in the wagon roof are like unistrut so a small plate can be slid in and tightened to.
Some use the light mount, but I would this would be a little weak..

macca
21st September 2013, 04:41 PM
Westy I have put rivnuts where the mirror was and the visor clips so 4 5mm bolts in the front. Rivnuts where the light was looks after the rear. Aluminium angle bolts to the roof and hinges or over center latches attach to that Then some small bungees on each side of the shelf at the grab handle front bolts area.

threedogs
25th September 2013, 07:38 AM
Need an update , Idea #67 what about a textured paint or cover with vinyl
just need update and more pics, carpet is so 80s lol
Gotta love those rivnuts, as my BFF from airport says slightly squash and they then become
lock nuts

macca
25th September 2013, 08:50 AM
I have gone with matt black paint and a moulded rubber around the "head but" edges.
Most of the thing is not seen and as no direct light shines on it, it looks fine with just a coat of paint.
Get some pics after www tonight maybe, at the wiring stage now

sil3nt_dr3ams
27th September 2013, 11:05 PM
waiting for pics, wiring my fridge control panel atm.

brwndoggy
2nd January 2014, 04:45 PM
love ya work macca, any pics on this finished?

macca
2nd January 2014, 06:27 PM
love ya work macca, any pics on this finished?

I have forgotten the pics, actually thought they were already posted. Away in the Sunday car so when I get home.

threedogs
2nd January 2014, 07:14 PM
I saw on another thread that they use "no more nails" to stick pine batterns to the roof under the lining.
I'll be using this system when fitting my 15" flip down.

megatexture
2nd January 2014, 07:45 PM
Bad idea .. Liquid nails, no more nails and any other stuff like this usually softens with heat and your roof will get bloody hot

macca
5th January 2014, 03:21 PM
Try to send some pics via phone.

The switches on the stainless discs are for LED strips in front of the visors, one each side, thanks TD for the suggestion.
The key hanging at the back is for the key switch that controls the E-Locker. No accidental forgetting to turn it off!.
2 Isolators (TJM) for the 2nd under bonnet battery and the auxiliary battery in the pod.
The electronic thermostat is for the shower that is built in to the pod also.
Doing all of this I can control all the bits from the drivers seat, previously they were all in inconvenient places.
The switches have LED tips and were a bit bright at night so I wired in a pot to dim them.
It works well.

megatexture
5th January 2014, 03:31 PM
Looking good mate, you must be happy with the outcome! Is the mic retractable?

macca
5th January 2014, 03:35 PM
Double post deleted???

macca
5th January 2014, 03:43 PM
Looking good mate, you must be happy with the outcome! Is the mic retractable?

Yes it is, the gadget is called a gear keeper, like this

http://www.gearkeeper.com/

Its a good mod I am happy with and my wife likes the extra storage that is out of sight when snoopers are checking out parked cars.

threedogs
5th January 2014, 04:18 PM
Major Tom to ground control, love it, Hope you don't get a dyno labeller for your birthday LOL.
I think you can buy packets of different labels at super cheap.

macca
5th January 2014, 05:10 PM
Major Tom to ground control, love it, Hope you don't get a dyno labeller for your birthday LOL.
I think you can buy packets of different labels at super cheap.

Heading there in the morning, will look out for them.
I do not like the labels, but haven't come up with anything yet

brwndoggy
5th January 2014, 09:15 PM
Try to send some pics via phone.

The switches on the stainless discs are for LED strips in front of the visors, one each side, thanks TD for the suggestion.
The key hanging at the back is for the key switch that controls the E-Locker. No accidental forgetting to turn it off!.
2 Isolators (TJM) for the 2nd under bonnet battery and the auxiliary battery in the pod.
The electronic thermostat is for the shower that is built in to the pod also.
Doing all of this I can control all the bits from the drivers seat, previously they were all in inconvenient places.
The switches have LED tips and were a bit bright at night so I wired in a pot to dim them.
It works well.

Looks awesome macca, can i put an order in?,
if i ever got the chance to build my ultimate off-road toy i wanted to have all or most of the electronic stuff up on the roof so if it gets dirty inside i can use the hose lol

Cuppa
6th January 2014, 09:10 AM
Agree, that is awesome Macca.

Nunez
26th February 2014, 03:26 PM
First post, but Holy crap that looks good. Only question, how does that go with legalities? I've heard the T part is illegal.