PDA

View Full Version : Should I buy this GQ

Flo-w
4th September 2013, 02:30 PM
G'day guys,

it has been a while since I logged in. I'm slowly getting over the loss of my 4.2l GQ with full touring setup which got stolen a few month ago. And the best way to do that is to buy a new one, right?

After lots of searching in the last weeks I came across this one here:
http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Nissan-Patrol-1993/SSE-AD-2318176/?Cr=8&sdmvc=1

Not the lowest ks and not in mint condition but seems very reasonably priced. From calling the bloke I know that it has a "minor oil leak in the rear main seal" which will need fixing for RWC. I'm not sure what that means.

Any thoughts?

Cheers, Flow

rusty_nail
4th September 2013, 02:33 PM
$11000 is alot of money... i cant remember how much winnie paid for his, but his looks just as neat and didnt cost that much?

Winnie
4th September 2013, 02:48 PM
$11000 is alot of money... i cant remember how much winnie paid for his, but his looks just as neat and didnt cost that much?

I paid more than that but mine was turboed. Looks like a pretty good buy to me!

mudnut
4th September 2013, 02:54 PM
That is big bucks for a twenty year old vehicle. As for the 60ml lift, did he pump 60ml of oil into the shockers:) Getting the rear main seal is an expensive job, as you would have to split the gearbox from the engine.

cgm
4th September 2013, 02:55 PM
Can you get RWC with body lift still in? What are the approx. costs if later he wants to turbo (just roughly)?

Flo-w
4th September 2013, 03:15 PM
Wow, so many replies! You guys rock!

60mm is a bit more than the usual 2inch. Is that a RWC problem? Would it even be legal to add the lift later on then? How does that add up with the 50mm body lift (I never had that I think)?

Any idea what that rear main seal job would cost mudnut? That seems to be the major unknown right now.

I haven't seen cheaper GQs with those extras and less than 300,000km. If you have please post them here (mainly VIC but I'm also looking into parts of SA and NSW). ;)

MudRunnerTD
4th September 2013, 03:15 PM
Tell him he's dreaming mate. It looks clean inside which is Nice.

The rear main seal is at the back of the motor between the motor and the gear box. It is most often replaced while replacing the Clutch. Gear Box must come out to get to it. Fair sized Job.

For $11k you would want 12 months rego and a full RWC with evidence that the rear main seal was replaced and not just cleaned and ignored. I dont believe the Odometer is accurate as it is misaligned slightly which is common with tis model. If the trip meter works intermittently then so will the odometer. Disregard it.

$11k with No RWC he is robbing you IMO.

MudRunnerTD
4th September 2013, 03:18 PM
Can you get RWC with body lift still in? What are the approx. costs if later he wants to turbo (just roughly)?

Not sure on the Body Lift these days?? an MTQ Turbo system fitted is around the $3,500 to $4,000 so buying one with a Turbo is a Good buy. You would get a factory Turbo off a GU fitted up (Less powerful) for maybe around the $2,000 mark.

Winnie
4th September 2013, 03:29 PM
You would not get a RWC with the body lift in, but is a 1 hour job to remove. Suspension lift just tell them its 50mm not 60,would be surprised if they actually measured it.

mudnut
4th September 2013, 03:29 PM
I would suggest getting a few quotes to ascertain how much a rear main would cost. But as MR, said, it is usually a job done with clutch replacement, so that would indicate to me, that it was done quite a long time ago.

Winnie
4th September 2013, 03:33 PM
Rear main would be between 5 and 6 hundred dollars... Look mate I paid only 2000 more than that for a low km TD42 turbo with RWC and 8 months rego

Bob
4th September 2013, 03:34 PM
Fairly sure that anything over a 2" lift will not pass a Roadworthy in Vic

cgm
4th September 2013, 05:52 PM
No RWC always makes me nervous. If it is simple then you would expect them to do it as it makes sale so much easier. Always wonder if they know something extra that they are not letting on. No RWC should mean cheap price and this doesn't seem to fit that category?

Problem is then you are back to starting point - not many good ones around at the right price.

Flo-w
5th September 2013, 10:45 AM
Thanks again for all the helpful replies!

I usually skip the "no RWC" ones, reckon I should continue doing so.

The market seems a bit strange this time of the year. I haven't seen many new adds which are worth looking at and if then they're overpriced. At least down in Victoria.
I've a google spreadsheet with all the add-ons I'd like (e.g. 2" lift, 33" tyres, DIY storage, ...) and the price tag attached to those. When I see a car which suits my search criteria I pop it in there and get my final price. Makes comparison much easier as your 10k$ truck with no extras might come more expensive than the 15k$ truck with the lot.

Here's a bit of an idea what I'm looking for. Tell me if I'm unreasonable.

I wan't a go anywhere tourer. Think Cape, Simmo, maybe CSR.
100% diesel for the distance and fuel availability
less than 300,000km, ideally less than 250,000km
service history would be nice but I think I'm dreaming
2" lift, 33" or 32" tyres
roof rack, bull bar, cargo barrier, storage system, extra fuel tank, dual battery (get's factored in)
Models considered: 4.2l GQ, 4.2l GU, 80 series, 75 series, Defender
Upper limit is $20,000 with all the extras