PDA

View Full Version : My draw build 05 gu

oddkid82
2nd September 2013, 12:40 PM
So I wanted something different to what the ones you can buy from the shops.
Wanted it so I can use them for work aswell.

Got the two spaces at the bottom for my table, BBQ and a tarp. It also fits my screw trays and other bits and bobs for work.

Made a light switch panel for led strip on the rear door, led strip in awning, a couple of 12v outlets.

Next was to start the carpeting.

Started the draw box on the right side still got to finish that off.

Hope the pics are ok.

MudRunnerTD
2nd September 2013, 01:23 PM
Looking good mate, nice work.

Head up though, the pieces you are using for the top of the fridge box and top of your drawer box will be inherently weak due to the direction you have run the grain. The top of the fridge box may not see much load but the top of that draw box almost certainly will. Bouncing Load will break that in half much quicker than you think.

I'd be replacing that piece with some 15mm ply. If your committed to your 19mm board then run the grain the other way as it will span that no trouble. Looks good though mate.

Why did you not put the little fuse board in the box behind the switch panel? I assume the switch panel will clip out? To allow easy access to the fuses? With the fridge in place the fuses will be hard to get to regardless so inside that switch box would be a winner. I assume that box is empty?

What is the left side bottom slot for? The table on the right what's on the left?

Cheers mate, the photos look great.

MudRunnerTD
2nd September 2013, 01:51 PM
Also, Repco sell switch labels for those Carling Switches in a sheet for a few dollars on their Narva stand. Alternatively eBay will sell a sticker sheet too ;)

And another comment.... I have 3 cig plugs in a similar location in my GUIV. Make sure you can plug stuff into them and still be able to close the door without smashing your plugs. It will be close.

I have my fridge plugged in via an Anderson Plug which is a much better connection and use those plugs for external LED lighting and for charging the phone etc. they are straight off the second battery so no ignition is required. I run an extension lead I made from there out to the tent for tent lighting at night when touring. Being able to lock the car is a winner and still run the lead.

oddkid82
2nd September 2013, 03:09 PM
Looking good mate, nice work.

Why did you not put the little fuse board in the box behind the switch panel? I assume the switch panel will clip out? To allow easy access to the fuses? With the fridge in place the fuses will be hard to get to regardless so inside that switch box would be a winner. I assume that box is empty?

What is the left side bottom slot for? The table on the right what's on the left?

Cheers mate, the photos look great.

Thank bud
The switch panel comes off easy so I can get to the fuses

The slot on the left fits my BBQ, tarps and a few bits and bobs.

MudRunnerTD
2nd September 2013, 05:16 PM
Thank bud
The switch panel comes off easy so I can get to the fuses

The slot on the left fits my BBQ, tarps and a few bits and bobs.

Awesome. I would think about relocating that fuse box into the switch box so that when your travelling you dont hve to worry about stuff stacked on top of it. gets all those electrical connections covered and protected especially given that they are all Positives.

Looks good mate

ANDY_M
17th September 2013, 10:36 PM
Nice job! I will attempt something like this one day.

krbrooking
17th September 2013, 10:56 PM
Nice looking set up mate, I also like the carpet you used.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorculture mobile app

oddkid82
18th September 2013, 01:31 PM
Nice looking set up mate, I also like the carpet you used.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorculture mobile app

Thanks bud. I got the carpet from bunnings.

threedogs
18th September 2013, 04:31 PM
Looks good , I'd unbolt the bottom seatbelt bolt and tuck them back through the plastic piece up the top.
Just looks a tad neater.
Are you fitting /making a cargo barrier??

oddkid82
18th September 2013, 09:15 PM
Looks good , I'd unbolt the bottom seatbelt bolt and tuck them back through the plastic piece up the top.
Just looks a tad neater.
Are you fitting /making a cargo barrier??

We have our first kid on the way. So I plan to get one in before the baby comes along.

soundfx
22nd September 2013, 05:56 PM
Is the carpet expensive? What size ply are you using?

It's looking good by the way.

BigRAWesty
22nd September 2013, 10:17 PM
Is the carpet expensive? What size ply are you using?

It's looking good by the way.

12mm ply is the best option imo. Nice and strong, not overkill and excess weight, and nice to drill into with I pilot and screw.

Carpet, think I paid $70 for 2 linear meters (2mx2m) of marine grade carpet.
You can use residential carpet but not as tough for the outback imo.

AJTich
21st October 2013, 09:34 PM
That is so IT. Fridge on the left. Love the table and BBQ spots. Now to measure twice (three times) and try to build it too.
Thanks
A&J