PDA

View Full Version : Lift kits

whitestickle
9th January 2011, 06:42 PM
With so many brands and types of lift kits what is the best to go and how high. Is there any law with how high you can go.
Thanks Whitestickle

YNOT
9th January 2011, 06:56 PM
2" lift is the legal maximum on a Patrol.
Old Man Emu (ARB) and TJM have good quality kits. Kings springs and Koni shocks are also a top combination. There are heaps of other quality suspension manufactures out there but they are probably the most most common.

Tony

Bigrig
9th January 2011, 07:10 PM
Laws vary from state to state, but general consensus is 50mm will gain the least amount of attention. Qld as an example has no specified limit, stating in preference of a height measurement, that any modification to the suspension setup must be installed by a licensed installer, and be of "sound engineering practices". It is a dead set gauntlet of what is acceptable out there these days and what isn't, but start with your state roads authority for any publications/legislation/amendments particular to vehicle modification ...

As per Tony - heaps of options out there, but the brands mentioned are well recognised and generally well trusted ....

NissanGQ4.2
9th January 2011, 07:29 PM
Laws vary from state to state, but general consensus is 50mm will gain the least amount of attention. Qld as an example has no specified limit, stating in preference of a height measurement, that any modification to the suspension setup must be installed by a licensed installer, and be of "sound engineering practices". It is a dead set gauntlet of what is acceptable out there these days and what isn't, but start with your state roads authority for any publications/legislation/amendments particular to vehicle modification ...

As per Tony - heaps of options out there, but the brands mentioned are well recognised and generally well trusted ....

what i'm moving 2 queensland!!!!! anyone know what the rules would be if i bought a raised vehicle from QLD then re registered it in NSW, would it have 2 go over the pits???

Bigrig
9th January 2011, 07:35 PM
what i'm moving 2 queensland!!!!! anyone know what the rules would be if i bought a raised vehicle from QLD then re registered it in NSW, would it have 2 go over the pits???

More than likely I'd suggest ...

NissanGQ4.2
9th January 2011, 07:39 PM
More than likely I'd suggest ...

dam was hopping to find a loophole, but then again its prolly just as dear 2 get a licensed installer 2 install the mods like in QLD then to just do it myself and get it engineered like in NSW

whitestickle
9th January 2011, 07:48 PM
can i also use 2in body chocks aswell

YNOT
9th January 2011, 08:06 PM
Body lifts need to be engineer approved.

Tony

my91gq
9th January 2011, 08:06 PM
body blocks are illegal in wa but check your own state regs about it i think there illegal throught aus

tony beat me too it by seconds

NissanGQ4.2
9th January 2011, 08:07 PM
can i also use 2in body chocks aswell
not with a 50mm suspension lift
you can have 50mm on body or 50mm on suspension... not both, depending on the laws in Tasmania, but that's how it is in NSW

NissanGQ4.2
9th January 2011, 08:08 PM
Body lifts need to be engineer approved.

Tony

do they........oooopppppsssssss,

whitestickle
10th January 2011, 08:30 AM
thanks looks like i better check the laws in tassie out before i do anything

Bigrig
10th January 2011, 10:11 AM
You might find the old "vapour law" in action also - by that I mean, because there is nothing specifically legislated, then every man and his dog in the government body will tell you its illegal to do this that or the other ... if it isn't legislated or provided as a specific "guideline" then you can fall back on anything that meets sound engineering practice and ADR's etc. Good luck with the hunt and please be sure to post up what you find for Tassie.

whitestickle
10th January 2011, 10:15 AM
thanks and i will let you all no how i go

rammy
25th February 2011, 04:46 PM
hi all. how are we? does anyone know of anywhere i can find pictures of a GQ preferably a ute with a 4 inch lift and 33 and or 35 inch tyres?

growler2058
25th February 2011, 07:13 PM
hi all. how are we? does anyone know of anywhere i can find pictures of a GQ preferably a ute with a 4 inch lift and 33 and or 35 inch tyres?

Rammy have a look through members rides and 4x4 pics on the forum mate i think there may be some in the gq y60 thread as well

rammy
25th February 2011, 07:20 PM
cheers mate superstar. just trying to size up the height and so forth

growler2058
25th February 2011, 07:25 PM
cheers mate superstar. just trying to size up the height and so forth

mate i think i sent you a private message but im not real flash at this as you no, iwent 4" and 33's and prob shoulda gone 35's on a wagon tho

rammy
25th February 2011, 07:39 PM
yeah mate im hearing ya :) yeah i got the ute and my ideas are to get the 4 inch lift and put 33" all terrains on for my everyday driving but put 35" muddies on another set of rims for when i go 4wd. just trying to get different opinions on what would be the better option
i dont wanna go to much of an extreme but would like to get myself to a good spot with it to be able to do most thing if you know what i mean

Mrowka
26th February 2011, 01:28 AM
Move to Ukraine and you can run pretty much any lift or mod you feel like, just as long as you pay your "unofficial road taxes."

TuffTD42
1st March 2011, 05:08 PM
With so many brands and types of lift kits what is the best to go and how high. Is there any law with how high you can go.
Thanks Whitestickle

I ran a 3" lift for 5 years. was good all round set up but did need a bit better ramp over angle. I used king coils & lovels shocks. found these brands top notch. I then went 5" used dobbinson which sagged to about 3.5"s in the front & around 4" in the rear within the first month. I ran 30mm coil spacers in the front for a short time before tossing the lot & going 6" tough dog kit. Happy with the brand.

Mines all engineered so no probs not that the coppers really worry about lifted fourbys around here. I reckon a 4" lift would be the best all round set up. The 6" I run is great out in the bush but it dose leave the on road a little to be desired. I also find it binds the tie rod up on the drag link. I'm mucking around with a few different things to try & get it to drive better on road & sort out the binding issues. It's not bad but no where as good to drive on road when it had the 3" & sagged 5 down to about 4" kits in.

It all depends on how much you have or want to spend. I recommend to anyone asking me what height to go too, go 4" just from my experiences. I'm thinking of going back to 4 or 5" coils

Anything over 2" needs to be engineered which is no real issue cost me $900 & that included the turbo as well. Do some esquires in your state & see what you can get away with. The law is about to change I read making the laws national. This will make it better for some states & maybe not for others but at least it will all be the same for every state. As atm as soon as I drive mine out of state it can be defected.

cheers.

YNOT
1st March 2011, 06:13 PM
Welcome to the forum BlownGQ, when you get a minute drop by the introductions page and tell us a bit about your self and your Patrol.

Tony

Sean
15th March 2011, 10:53 PM
Hey was wondering if i fitted a 2 inch lift and run 33 inch tyres is that legal in nsw for a 97 patrol gq 2.8 turbo desiel will i lose power take of speed etc not sure myself also does it affect the speedo

Finly Owner
15th March 2011, 11:45 PM
well good luck finding info as tas transport has nothing on its site about what is/is not allowed.

Tim

YNOT
15th March 2011, 11:54 PM
Hey was wondering if i fitted a 2 inch lift and run 33 inch tyres is that legal in nsw for a 97 patrol gq 2.8 turbo desiel will i lose power take of speed etc not sure myself also does it affect the speedo

Not sure about the legallities but you will loose some acceleration and it will affect your speedo.

Tony

blake_gq4.2
27th March 2011, 03:49 PM
Lovells do a nice 2 inch heavy duty kit, good wheel travel and its within most state laws as far as i no.

TuffTD42
27th March 2011, 05:06 PM

33's aren't legal but your 2" lift will be. You can go a max of 15mm in diameter over the largest factory Tyre. Yes it will lose some acceleration & your speedo will be out around 5-8 klm/h. you can change the pinion on the speedo drive to get your speedo within spec around $74 from nissan. Part number for the pinion you need should be 32703-31G18 if you run the 33's. The part no's I have for the different pinions are based on 4.2 patrols but I think you will be within spec, Your speedo has to be within 4% either way.

Cheers Jono.

YalwalYowie
15th May 2011, 05:12 PM
I ran a 3" lift for 5 years. was good all round set up but did need a bit better ramp over angle. I used king coils & lovels shocks. found these brands top notch. I then went 5" used dobbinson which sagged to about 3.5"s in the front & around 4" in the rear within the first month. I ran 30mm coil spacers in the front for a short time before tossing the lot & going 6" tough dog kit. Happy with the brand.

Mines all engineered so no probs not that the coppers really worry about lifted fourbys around here. I reckon a 4" lift would be the best all round set up. The 6" I run is great out in the bush but it dose leave the on road a little to be desired. I also find it binds the tie rod up on the drag link. I'm mucking around with a few different things to try & get it to drive better on road & sort out the binding issues. It's not bad but no where as good to drive on road when it had the 3" & sagged 5 down to about 4" kits in.

It all depends on how much you have or want to spend. I recommend to anyone asking me what height to go too, go 4" just from my experiences. I'm thinking of going back to 4 or 5" coils

Anything over 2" needs to be engineered which is no real issue cost me $900 & that included the turbo as well. Do some esquires in your state & see what you can get away with. The law is about to change I read making the laws national. This will make it better for some states & maybe not for others but at least it will all be the same for every state. As atm as soon as I drive mine out of state it can be defected.

cheers.

Hi Blowngq, just wondering if you did the work yourself? If I were to spend the money on say a 4" lift kit then could I just factor in another grand (or there abouts) for it to be engineered or does it have to be installed by a professional? And do you need to get bigger tyres engineered or what is the rule with them?
Cheers, yowie

TuffTD42
16th May 2011, 02:01 PM
Hi Blowngq, just wondering if you did the work yourself? If I were to spend the money on say a 4" lift kit then could I just factor in another grand (or there abouts) for it to be engineered or does it have to be installed by a professional? And do you need to get bigger tyres engineered or what is the rule with them?
Cheers, yowie

Hey yowie, Yes I did all the work my self. Depends what state your in but for NSW I run 35's & got them engineered. The max size tyre you can run atm in NSW is 15mm bigger in diameter over the largest tyre offered by the factory for your vehicle if not engineered. When the NCOP comes in 50mm over size will be the limit. Just make sure you do the lift correctly no bogey parts & you'll be alright. Best check with an engineer before you start so you know exactly what you have to do. I rang a few different engineers before I found one that I was happy with. I found some to be oh yea she'll be wright & others that didn't want to know, The fellow I used was on the ball & was fair aslong as my rig meet all the guide lines. I did have to get a muffler put on it before he passed it but other than that he was pleasant & easy to deal with.

Cheers Jono.

YalwalYowie
16th May 2011, 05:17 PM
Thanks Jono, Looks like if I do my homework it shuoldn't be too bad. Thanks for the detailed reply
Regards, Matt

snake1978
16th May 2011, 08:51 PM
im gettin a 2in lift next month
cant afford much , so im going with 2in iron man shocks and springs, and damper, 1300 supplied and fitted
the limit on lift height i think came in several mths ago, get it done by some1 u know well that will backdate the papers 4 ya lol

Bigrig
16th May 2011, 08:52 PM
im gettin a 2in lift next month
cant afford much , so im going with 2in iron man shocks and springs, and damper, 1300 supplied and fitted
the limit on lift height i think came in several mths ago, get it done by some1 u know well that will backdate the papers 4 ya lol

Don't forget some before and after shots mate!!

NissanGQ4.2
16th May 2011, 09:24 PM
The fellow I used was on the ball & was fair aslong as my rig meet all the guide lines. I did have to get a muffler put on it before he passed it but other than that he was pleasant & easy to deal with.

Cheers Jono.
Hey Jono, can you PM the the guy you used when you get a chance please

cheers

Todd

snake1978
17th May 2011, 07:56 PM
Don't forget some before and after shots mate!!

yeppppppp :)

Crowman23
20th May 2011, 09:42 AM
Just fitted a BLUPACK AUTO 2" Kit to my 89 GQ and it looks and Drives terrific (and yes its in getting the Castor Correction Bushes fitted)
still cant get rid of that shudder at 80 - 90kmh you'll find the BLUPACK Kits on eBay.com.au

Hope this helps

Bigrig
20th May 2011, 09:49 AM
Just fitted a BLUPACK AUTO 2" Kit to my 89 GQ and it looks and Drives terrific (and yes its in getting the Castor Correction Bushes fitted)
still cant get rid of that shudder at 80 - 90kmh you'll find the BLUPACK Kits on eBay.com.au

Hope this helps

Happy snaps??? Do you have offset rims?? Could be what's causing the shudder/wobble.

Crowman23
20th May 2011, 09:55 AM
Few before Photos in Members Photos I'll post some after when I get the Old Girl back this arvo. Regards
Posted somemore Photos in Members Rides, I picked the Old Girl up after having the Castor Correction Bushes Fitted and I'm hopingmy Eyes arnt decieving me but I got a little more Lift??? is this possible?? I dont know but she looks OK

YalwalYowie
22nd May 2011, 06:50 PM
Could anyone fill me in on all the parts I would need for a four inch lift? I know I will need springs and shocks but with four inches do I need drop boxes? Any help would be brilliant.
Cheers.

YNOT
22nd May 2011, 06:54 PM
Could anyone fill me in on all the parts I would need for a four inch lift? I know I will need springs and shocks but with four inches do I need drop boxes? Any help would be brilliant.
Cheers.

Extended brake lines and diff breathers, adjustable panhard rods and drag link, drop boxes or drop arms, possibly adjustable or extended rear control arms.

Tony

growler2058
22nd May 2011, 06:56 PM
Mate i went extended radius arms (front) and extended lower control arms (for the rear) to adjust evrything back to normal this all came in the 4"kit i bought from BigO4x4 plus adj panhards etc etc

EDIT i believe drop boxes will do fine I just thought ext rad arms would be stronger

TuffTD42
24th May 2011, 06:34 PM
Hey Jono, can you PM the the guy you used when you get a chance please

cheers

Todd

PM sent Todd.

YalwalYowie
25th May 2011, 12:48 PM
Extended brake lines and diff breathers, adjustable panhard rods and drag link, drop boxes or drop arms, possibly adjustable or extended rear control arms.

Tony

Thanks Tony, Sorry for being dopey but what is the difference between drop boxes and drop arms?
Cheers

growler2058
25th May 2011, 02:15 PM
Thanks Tony, Sorry for being dopey but what is the difference between drop boxes and drop arms?
Cheers

The extended arms are an entirely new item longer than the standard arms. They basically hold your diff steady in place. a dropped box allows to keep the standard arms but relocates them forward to keep original geometry/placement of the front diff

TuffTD42
25th May 2011, 03:09 PM
Cheers

Here's a pic of both might help you understand a little better. \

Drop box's
http://i1205.photobucket.com/albums/bb425/blowngq1/dropbox.jpg

Drop arms
http://i1205.photobucket.com/albums/bb425/blowngq1/droparms.jpg

YalwalYowie
25th May 2011, 05:09 PM
Gottcha! Cheers for that. So drop boxes just change the angle of the standard arm! Picture worth 1000 words! Thanks Blowngq

gavinsell
21st August 2011, 04:20 PM
Hi guys.
Im looking at putting a 2 inch Old man emu lift kit from ARB and 33 inch tyres (cant decide on what tyres yet). what parts of this would i have to get engineered as im in NSW?
does anyone tow anything over 2.5 tonne with this lift and if so how does it go.. i cant see it would if i got a drop tow ball.

Thanks guys

growler2058
21st August 2011, 05:10 PM
You're only changin shocks and springs so there are no other modifed components required so dont think you need anything engineered. For me cant go past Mickey Thompson Mtz in 33x 12.5 however it depends what you are guna use em for

gavinsell
21st August 2011, 08:44 PM
well i was considering the Mickey Thompson ATZ 4 rib, or the cooper STT, both in a 33x 12.5 but leaning towards the ATZ as it is an all terrain tyre as my car would still be a every day drive.

growler2058
21st August 2011, 08:48 PM
The ATZ is good i rekon Big Rig was runnin em on Tank until recently. The coopers and the mickey t's come from the same factory as well. ran Coopers St on a jeep cherokee and was real happy with them

YNOT
21st August 2011, 10:26 PM
Cheers

I know the question has already been answered but just because I have a photo...........

http://i758.photobucket.com/albums/xx224/tonyh01/P1000521Medium.jpg

Drop arm in the foreground, standard arm mounted in drop box in the background.

Either will correct your castor and move the diff foward about half an inch. I switched from drop arms to drop boxes so I could refit the sway bar.

Tony