PDA

View Full Version : RD28 Patrol Engine Spiking

simmo1
9th January 2011, 04:14 PM
Can anyone advise me as to the likely reason for the engine to spike? I have cleaned the EGR lines.

Bob
9th January 2011, 04:39 PM
Hi how about introducing yourself in the Introductions section.
what Model Patrol
Area that you are from
Interests
I am quite sure that someone will then answer your enquiry

YNOT
9th January 2011, 05:51 PM
As said above. always nice to introduce yourself before asking questions.

We're going to need a lot more information to help you with your question. GQ or GU, mileage, condition, modifications etc, and a more detailed description of the 'spike' you are experiencing.

Tony

simmo1
10th January 2011, 01:54 PM
sorry guys, I am a newby at this. This is Simmo1. I have a 1999 GU Patrol standard 2.8 diesel. travelled 220000 kms. The spikinjh seemed to start when I noticed the EGR pipe leaking at the exhaust manifold. This has since been fixed and the pipe and EGR have been cleaned out. If I drive the vehicle at 70-80 km and accelerate only slightly it spikes from abount 2000 revs upto 2600-2700 revs and the drops back to correct revs and accelerates correctly. Its a bit like the clutch is slipping but I have had this checked. Regards Simmo1

YNOT
10th January 2011, 02:32 PM
Welcome to the forum Simmo.

For vehicles with a manual gearbox, the only way the engine revs can rise with out a corresponding rise in wheel speed is if there is slippage in the driveline. A slipping clutch is the most likely because anything else would be accompanied by a loud noise which you have not mentioned. I suggest you get someone else to check the clutch.

Tony

GQshorty
18th February 2012, 07:04 PM
thanks guys great info:)

aaron
19th February 2012, 01:36 PM
if u have the standard duel mass clutch in still it is the clutch --- i have hade the same problem i put a singel clutch kit in my 99 GU from nick's performance problem solved tho there is a box rattel at low 1000 rpm but the all do it.