PDA

View Full Version : good road tyres

guy forks
9th January 2011, 01:01 PM
hi to everyone.looking to change the tyres on the patrol.the ones on it at the moment are deadly.had another brown trouser moment with it tonight.ended up in a ditch with no real damage.hit black ice at about 50mph.it fish tailed for about 1/4 of a mile.before ending up facing the other way in a ditch.will look later to see what's on it.but need some good road tyres before it kills me.txs

Maxhead
9th January 2011, 01:07 PM
Black ice in January...hahah. Had to look back at your intro to realize you're in Irland.LOL

Anyway, have a look at the tyre feedback threads to see if the feedback helps at all.

Are you after just a road tyre or AT??

Cheers

guy forks
9th January 2011, 01:23 PM
just after road tyres.i was going to say its to wet here in Ireland.but man are you getting some rain over there.

DX grunt
9th January 2011, 01:35 PM
hi to everyone.looking to change the tyres on the patrol.the ones on it at the moment are deadly.had another brown trouser moment with it tonight.ended up in a ditch with no real damage.hit black ice at about 50mph.it fish tailed for about 1/4 of a mile.before ending up facing the other way in a ditch.will look later to see what's on it.but need some good road tyres before it kills me.txs

Stay at home on those cold, wet, dark, windy and 'black ice' nights.

Seriously, not sure. You'd think that some of the tyre distributors would be able to help you, too.

I've never experienced black ice. In Western Australia, we are lucky to see one or two somewhat half baked efforts of a snow fall every few years.

Victoria and New South Wales are where they have all the snow falls, if you're into that sort of thing. lol

Either way, take care out there.

Ross
DX grunt

guy forks
9th January 2011, 01:48 PM
the thing with tyre distributors they will try and sell you anything.just taught i would ask here first.

Maxhead
9th January 2011, 01:55 PM
Hey Guy, theres a bloke on here who's been in the tyre game for years so hopefully he comes on to help you out mate...

guy forks
9th January 2011, 02:08 PM
cheers guys.hope he does.i will check tomorrow to see what is on it seen that its 2.35 in the morning here.expecting more snow here.hows the rain situation over there.

guy forks
10th January 2011, 02:34 PM
got a set of bridgstones on her today.so will give them a few days to bed in and see what its like.txs

YNOT
10th January 2011, 02:40 PM
How's the rain situation? Where I am in south east Queensland it's wet, wet, and still raining! All of our dams are over full, Wivenhoe dam is at 140% (it's not totally full until 250%) and Somerset dam is at 150%.

What model Bridgestones did you get?

Tony

Maxhead
10th January 2011, 05:39 PM
Glad you got some new rubber mate, sound like you needed it. Don't know if it will help on black ice much but at least you got some tread
Cheers

Mrowka
12th January 2011, 02:05 AM
I have Michelin Synchone 4x4 265/70R16 tires on my '94 LWB.

They seem like OK tires on asphalt, off road better than the 255/70R15 Bridgestone Dueler A/T that I am using as winter tires. I know the guy who owned my Patrol before me was quite particular about parts and repairs.

boggy2006
12th January 2011, 12:06 PM
don't think anything will help on black ice, short of studded tyres, but you want something to grip once you're off the ice onto the wet tarmac. Most road tyres will be much better than A/T or mud...but then these would be best when it snows!

Clunk
12th January 2011, 08:47 PM
The only thing that will help with black ice is having your own personal gritting machine driving half an hour ahead of you. Used to live in South Wales and almost came a croper on several occassions. Just don't touch the brakes and try and steer out of it........... much easier said than done

Silver
19th February 2011, 03:12 AM
is there a tyre that grips on black ice? I have relos in the New England area of NSW and there are a couple of spots (in)famous for rare black ice, eg Ben Lomond. Hope never to meet it!

Bigrig
19th February 2011, 08:24 AM
is there a tyre that grips on black ice? I have relos in the New England area of NSW and there are a couple of spots (in)famous for rare black ice, eg Ben Lomond. Hope never to meet it!

As per clunk's post mate - not sure any road tyre would grip - I lived in the UK for 2 years and have driven around northern Europe in winter also and if they were available then everyone would have them - you could put a salt machine sprayer on the front I suppose! LOL ... a lot of places used salt (less common now I guess) as it provides instant grip on ice as it crystalizes and provides a rough surface.